Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seeking advice with E1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Seeking advice with E1

Hi. I recently picked up a couple of E1s. The lenses I have are a 14-42mm and a 40-150mm.

I only need the camera to do one thing... take close-up photos of jewelry.

I'm guessing that I can't do that with either one of the above mentioned lenses. If there is a way, I've not figured it out yet. I can't get close enough for the camera to focus as well as for the jewelry to be a decent enough size (percentage of the shot).

I was eye-balling macro or some type of lens I could purchase that would suit my one purpose for this camera, but I've been getting conflicting info.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
    Laura

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Seeking advice with E1

I have a 35mm macro and it works just fine. The best would be the 50mm macro but of course it costs a lot more than the 35mm. Look around ebay, I think you can get some fully functional items.
    Last edited by jpmiloilo; 1st February 2014 at 06:57 AM. Reason: grammar

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

I'd go with the 35mm too. Prices are very reasonable, but it's always worth checking s/h prices in stores as well as ebay as I've found that they can be cheeper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The other option is getting the ex25 extension tube to use with the 40-150...
    E1, EP3, GX1, 14-54 mkII, 70-300mm, m9-18, m14-42, m40-150, m20 1.7, m45 1.8, FL36 & various OM glass. flickr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by timg View Post
    The other option is getting the ex25 extension tube to use with the 40-150...
    Yet another option would be to get an adapter and use an older manual macro lens. There are a number of such adapters (for example for the Olympus OM lenses there it the MF-1 adapter by Olympus and any number of other brands). There are adapters for a fair number of other lens mounts (though the variety is not as large as with the micro-4/3 cameras, which have a shorter flange distance than for the 4/3 cameras). This route is useful if you have lenses from older film-era SLRs.

I don't happen to have the 35mm F/T macro lens myself (I have the 50mm). The 35mm F/T macro focuses down to 1:1 magnification, while the larger and more expensive 50mm F/T macro only focuses to 1:2 without the EX-25 adapter (another added cost).

The F/T macro lenses do allow using the automated camera features, which may be useful depending on your experience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you everyone for your replies. I know I'm going to sound like a kindergartener among a bunch of college students here, but... I don't get this part...

If I have a 14-42, isn't 35mm in there already? Doesn't a 14-42 cover from 14mm to 42mm?

BTW, my eyesight is not very good so I'd rather not focus manually.

I was going to show you two eBay links and ask if these are an option, but I'm new here and have to have 6 posts under my belt in order to post links. Shall I thank you all individually or will I get my hands slapped for that. :-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

How big details do you need? (i.e. what is the size of jewelery you are shooting and how much it should fill the frame?)
    I would say 14-42 at 42mm and minimum focusing distance should be usable for a close-up, but not for a macro work..

Of course there is a 35mm focal lenght in 14-42 range, but difference is in minimum focusing distance. You can go VERY close to the object with 35mm macro lens. In fact, you can go so close, that you may have problems with lighting, as you will most probably cast shadows, if you'll be too close.
    Regards, Pavel.

E-1(x2) | ZD 14-45 | ZD 14-54 | ZD 40-150 Mk.1 | ZD 70-300 | FL-50 | Velbon Sherpa 750R
    M42(Pancolar 50/1.8, Pentacon 200/4)+ M42->4/3 reduction

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by JewelryPhotos View Post
    Thank you everyone for your replies. I know I'm going to sound like a kindergartener among a bunch of college students here, but... I don't get this part...

If I have a 14-42, isn't 35mm in there already? Doesn't a 14-42 cover from 14mm to 42mm?

BTW, my eyesight is not very good so I'd rather not focus manually.

I was going to show you two eBay links and ask if these are an option, but I'm new here and have to have 6 posts under my belt in order to post links. Shall I thank you all individually or will I get my hands slapped for that. :-)
    Yes the 14-42mm zoom covers the 35mm focal length of the 35mm macro. The macro lens is optimized to produce good results at short distances (macro). Since you expressed an interest in shooting images of jewelry, the quality of those images will be better with the macro lens, and it will also be able to focus at closer distances (higher magnifications).

With your remark about preferring not to rely on manual focusing, then the 35mm is probably your best bet :-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oh thanks! So what I should be looking for is a 35mm macro lens for the E1. I didn't realize this was a thing. I thought a 35mm lens was a 35mm lens... and it was just CALLED macro because it could get in closer than a 200mm lens.

(Where's the embarrassed emoticon when you need it?)

Okay, off to look for a 35mm macro lens that will work with my E1. Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Holy bat turds! The cheapest I can find it for is almost $200. That's a lot of mullah for something that "hopefully" will work. :-(

I suppose the odds of me finding someone willing to trade one of those lenses for either of my lenses or an extra E1 are pretty slim.

Sigh...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast