Thread: Pushing the E-5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Liked 28 Times in 10 Posts

Pushing the E-5

I am watching all the E-M1 activity on here with keen interest and would love to have the option of getting one, but it won't be happening anytime soon. So this weekend I had a couple of short trips and ended up using the E-5 beyond the limits I had used it previously.
    Firstly, ISO 1600, a doddle if you have an E-M1 or E-M5, but I don't like 400 on the E-5. I have used Lightroom to clean up the noise with some loss of detail and a bit of 'plasticising' (I may have made that up! ); please tell me how this might have been processed better:

The second limit I pushed was today while out with the camera club in the rain. I know it is supposed to be weatherproof but I have only previously used the E-5 in drizzle, today it got a real soaking with rainwater pouring over it to the extent I couldn't read the screen, it didn't let me down I still managed some shots:

Happy to take feedback on these
    Iain

E-M5 II, 9-18, 12-40, 17, 40-150, 45, 60, 100-400

Website
    Flickr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Liked 268 Times in 160 Posts

Re: Pushing the E-5

The only feedback I can give on these images is "well done". The stag is closely coloured to the background brush, as nature intended, and the falls is not going to get better by virtue of having an E-M1. Sure, its fun to have a new camera, I have an E-M1 so I get to "play". On the other hand, its frustrating to have to continually make adjustments and the trial and error of getting images to come out as you want them, etc., etc. I find I'm now taking out my E-30 or 620 as much as the new one because... I still enjoy them and have fun with them and I never did reach anywhere near the limits either of these are capable of.

Keep on shooting and posting your photos with the E-5. If you start to get a bit watery eyed about not having an E-M1 and missing out on the fun go to this relatively recent review of the E-5 and get re-introduced to the wonderful camera you already have... makes me want one!

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/1...-craig-litten/
    "Stef" E-620 and stuff...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Thanks Stef, you are right the E-5 is all I need; that review is a very good and re-assuring read, the first picture of the camera and lens is how mine looked on Sunday
    Iain

Website
    Flickr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Liked 30 Times in 23 Posts

Sorry, I can't help with processing but both images look good on this Blackberry screen. I've used my E-3 in rain, freezing rain and snow but I'd love to spend a year back in Saskatchewan and try it at -40.
    It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

The Grumpy Snapper blog or follow me on Instagram.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Liked 123 Times in 61 Posts

The waterfall, especially, is nicely done. I have a similar one but I managed to blow the highlights!

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    463 Posts
    Liked 564 Times in 259 Posts

Hi Iain -

Firstly I think you would be overjoyed if you were using the OM-D E-M1.

I thought I was getting the best from the E-5, but the new Olympus eclipses it by a country mile IMO.

I think your stag has done you both proud - it's a super setting for a great image.

Regards. Barr1e

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Those are both smashing photos that you should be proud of.

Although new cameras are coming out all of the time, the differences in the improvements are actually quite tiny. Search through Flickr at the fantastic images taken with an E-3 or an E-620 or E510 and they are still fantastic images, just as you will be able to find some shoddy ones taken with an EM1. I won a prize taken with an old bridge camera and I have been looking at tremendous shots taken with an iPhone.

The quality of an images has (arguably) mostly to do with (A) the composition skills of the photographer, (B) the camera handling skills of the photographer (C) being in the right place at the right time, (D) the subject matter, (E) the photographer's skills at processing the shot, (F) the quality of the lens, and finally (G) by the camera.

Is your unhappiness with ISO 400 down to pixel-peeping? If you view at 100% you will see differences in the images taken at different ISOs from any camera. In reality, how often do we actually use an image at 100%. 10 MP can produce an A2 photo-quality print and how often do you use an image that large? Most images are posted online or printed to A4 or A3 and you would never be able to tell what ISO it was taken at. That excellent stag photo was taken at ISO 400, but I would have never known.

I have an E-5 and I have no complaints about the quality of the images it produces and I expect it to last me many years yet. Saying that, the OMD-EM1 is an excellent camera and it is very tempting for me. This is more because of the size and weight than any difference in image quality. But, I have a mortgage to pay and a family to feed. If Santa brought me an EM1, I would be over the moon.

Have a great Christmas.

Ivor
    Web: www.ivorphotography.co.uk

Olympus E-M5ii, E-5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ivor View Post
    Those are both smashing photos that you should be proud of.

Although new cameras are coming out all of the time, the differences in the improvements are actually quite tiny. Search through Flickr at the fantastic images taken with an E-3 or an E-620 or E510 and they are still fantastic images, just as you will be able to find some shoddy ones taken with an EM1. I won a prize taken with an old bridge camera and I have been looking at tremendous shots taken with an iPhone.

The quality of an images has (arguably) mostly to do with (A) the composition skills of the photographer, (B) the camera handling skills of the photographer (C) being in the right place at the right time, (D) the subject matter, (E) the photographer's skills at processing the shot, (F) the quality of the lens, and finally (G) by the camera.

Is your unhappiness with ISO 400 down to pixel-peeping? If you view at 100% you will see differences in the images taken at different ISOs from any camera. In reality, how often do we actually use an image at 100%. 10 MP can produce an A2 photo-quality print and how often do you use an image that large? Most images are posted online or printed to A4 or A3 and you would never be able to tell what ISO it was taken at. That excellent stag photo was taken at ISO 400, but I would have never known.

I have an E-5 and I have no complaints about the quality of the images it produces and I expect it to last me many years yet. Saying that, the OMD-EM1 is an excellent camera and it is very tempting for me. This is more because of the size and weight than any difference in image quality. But, I have a mortgage to pay and a family to feed. If Santa brought me an EM1, I would be over the moon.

Have a great Christmas.

Ivor
    Thank you for your comments Ivor, very true and a good reminder to not get ‘hung up’ on the gear side of things!
    I think you are correct about pixel peeping to view the noise at ISO 400 (or higher, the stag was 1600), when I zoom in to an image on the PC I don’t always have the ‘end use’ in mind and the noise seems like more of a problem. You are so right; most images are viewed online at a quality/resolution that would need the noise to be horrendous to be visible.
    I am very happy with my kit at the moment, the E-PL5 with 14mm pancake is so compact it goes everywhere with me (but I should use it more!) and the E-5 comes out for the more serious photo trips (too infrequent).
    I had a quick look at your website, some lovely images and an inspiring Project 2014 that I will look at more closely (52 not 365!)
    Thanks again for your input, have a really good Christmas and a prosperous New Year
    Iain

Website
    Flickr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IainMacD View Post
    Thank you for your comments Ivor, very true and a good reminder to not get ‘hung up’ on the gear side of things!
    I think you are correct about pixel peeping to view the noise at ISO 400 (or higher, the stag was 1600), when I zoom in to an image on the PC I don’t always have the ‘end use’ in mind and the noise seems like more of a problem. You are so right; most images are viewed online at a quality/resolution that would need the noise to be horrendous to be visible.
    I am very happy with my kit at the moment, the E-PL5 with 14mm pancake is so compact it goes everywhere with me (but I should use it more!) and the E-5 comes out for the more serious photo trips (too infrequent).
    I had a quick look at your website, some lovely images and an inspiring Project 2014 that I will look at more closely (52 not 365!)
    Thanks again for your input, have a really good Christmas and a prosperous New Year
    Thanks for the nice comment and happy New Year to you too.

Ivor
    Web: www.ivorphotography.co.uk

Olympus E-M5ii, E-5