Thread: Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 hands-on preview

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 hands-on preview

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    How are you finding the viewfinder when wearing glasses Ian,do you see all the frame or have to move your eye around to see it all?

Also I see no sign or mention of a dioptric adjustment wheel on the viewfinder.
    The GX7 EVF is the best I have seen to date. I am able to view the image from corner to corner while wearing my glasses without moving my eye around. The corners are dark on my GH3 when viewed through my glasses.

There is a slider adjustment on the underside of the EVF that works very well. The EVF display pops in and out of focus quickly allowing rapid and accurate adjustment. My GH3 EVF changes very gradually while adjusting the diopter wheel making it difficult to find the optimum setting.

Mike

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My GX7 arrived on Sept 23. I find it to have the best ergonomics of any u4/3 camera I have used to date, this includes my GH3 which I dearly love. The controls/buttons are logically placed and very easy to operate without removing my eye from the EVF. The EVF is much better than the one in my GH3. It is brighter with more contrast and doesn't "smear" in low light. The diopter is easier to adjust as the image pops in and out of focus very quickly. The GH3 EVF images changes very gradually with diopter adjustment and IMO is hard to properly adjust. The most important feature of the GX7 EVF beside the ability to tilt is that I can see the complete image while wearing my glasses. The corners are dark in my GH3 (and all the other EVFs I have used before) when viewed through my glasses. I have not noticed any color tearing in the EVF ( this seemed to be a major issue with some people). The colors are saturated but not overly so (I am sure some will disagree with me on this). The camera is a joy to use manually. Manual focus is quickly confirmed with the focus peaking and the two dials make easy work of adjusting the aperture and shutter. The silent mode is indeed silent and is usable for shooting everything except high speed subjects and flash photography (same as the GH3). The IBIS works well with none stabilized lenses. While it does a good job it is not as good as the Oly 5-axis IBIS. That being said I tend not to rely on any image stabilizing system except as a last resort. For slow shutter/ low light shots or for that matter any critical shot I use what used to be the standard IS - a tripod. The digital noise level is much lower than any of my older u4/3 bodies. That is to be expected with newer cameras and is a moving standard as technology advances. The GX7 will be a constant companion along with my GH3. Is the GX7the perfect camera for everyone? Probably not, but it really hits the mark for me with its size, weight, quality feel and great handling (not to mention the IQ).

Mike

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Perriment View Post
    The GX7 appears to be enticingly smaller than the E-M5. I wonder how long before Olympus introduce a direct competitor?
    Olympus already has several competitiors (E-M5, EP5 and E-M1). Each of these have superior IBIS and probably a better sensor. Both the E-M5 and E-M1 are a step above with water shielding and superior IBIS. The E-P5 has superior IBIS and the advantage of a separate EVF thats much better for a left eye viewer (like me). The size is as I've understood about the same (without the view finder). So even if I'm enthusiastic about the GX7 it doesn't surpass the Olympuses except for video use.

Regards,

Per

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345