Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What new Micro Four Thirds lenses would you like to see added to the roadmaps?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: What new Micro Four Thirds lenses would you like to see added to the roadmaps?

I'm with Hal

mft versions of 12-60mm f4 and 50-200 f4

Bill
    E510, 14-42,14-54, 50-200, EC1.4, FL36R

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    495 Posts
    Liked 123 Times in 61 Posts

Re: What new Micro Four Thirds lenses would you like to see added to the roadmaps?

Some interesting responses there - f/4 seems to be the new f/2.8

I'm sure these lenses would shift - off the retailers' shelves

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Perriment View Post
    I'd settle for a smaller, lighter Micro Four Thirds version of the 14-54mm f2.8/3.5.

Or, if that would still be on the large size, maybe a 14-45mm f3.5/4.

Small and light is key for me. I would settle for a restricted zoom range to get a small, light standard zoom with max aperture of f4 at the long end.
    I agree on this one. The system is lacking a good HG standardzoom. I fear a m43 version of the 12-60 would be to big without the use of grip, or it would be lacking in speed or IQ.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Liked 103 Times in 74 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Some interesting responses there - f/4 seems to be the new f/2.8
    . . .

Ian
    I'm surprised by this. We have quite a few slow zooms, though they are not HG quality. I want some f/2.8 HG zooms. If they could make a 12-60 and 50-200 with a contstant f/2.8 aperture, that would be ideal, though I understand if they need to drop a bit at the long end to keep the lenses to a reasonable size. But if you start at f/4, you lose some of the ability to create shallow depth of field, and you may need to use a higher ISO, thus losing some of the image quality advantage of the newest cameras.

This is one reason I'm a bit of a minimalist when it comes to equipment--I find it better to buy a few pieces of top-notch gear rather than lots of lower-grade stuff.

- Hal -
    A Still Mind - Photography, Music, Meditation, Ministry - www.astillmind.net
    Olympus E-M5; Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 25mm; Zuiko 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD; Sigma 105 Macro; Rokinon (Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye; Olympus 8/1.8 PRO fisheye; FL-50R; Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Liked 30 Times in 23 Posts

m4/3 versions of the 7-14, 12-60, 50-200 with the current apertures and a 200-400 f/3.5-4.5.
    It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

The Grumpy Snapper blog.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Liked 91 Times in 42 Posts

A 300/4.0 or a 400/4.0 + a 1.4 converter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Given that the 60 macro is just about to appear, and the m43 12-50 is little more than a year old and is splashproof, it would seem surprising if Olympus brought out a m43 12-60 in the near future.
    What would be good however is: a HG splashproof 14-75 at F3.5 (or faster).
    Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hschnee View Post
    I'm surprised by this. We have quite a few slow zooms, though they are not HG quality. I want some f/2.8 HG zooms. If they could make a 12-60 and 50-200 with a contstant f/2.8 aperture, that would be ideal, though I understand if they need to drop a bit at the long end to keep the lenses to a reasonable size. But if you start at f/4, you lose some of the ability to create shallow depth of field, and you may need to use a higher ISO, thus losing some of the image quality advantage of the newest cameras.

This is one reason I'm a bit of a minimalist when it comes to equipment--I find it better to buy a few pieces of top-notch gear rather than lots of lower-grade stuff.

- Hal -
    A more realistic alternative would be a 20-70/2.8. This would be easier to design, since it skips the wide range. Still, a zoom that goes from slightly wide normal to decent tele would be quite useful in situations where you don't need wide angle but don't have time to constantly switch between normal and tele lenses. It's not an all-in-one lens of course.
    Last edited by Stuttaton; 5th September 2012 at 07:11 AM. Reason: typo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

It would be nice to have a M12-60 but I feel there would have to be some compromise on weight/size/performance and it would probably cost a fortune. We already have the superb Olympus M9-18. Just add a M20-70. Also, there is the fast Panny 12-35 F/2.8 which is expensive but a great performer. You also need to keep a check on your lens collection as I guess they are creeping up in numbers and you end up with a DSLR + kit lens/s weight over your shoulder.

For general photography I'm very tempted to go high end super zoom bridge in stead of carrying round all those extra lenses.
    Just a thought

Pete

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    495 Posts
    Liked 123 Times in 61 Posts

To be honest, I could sling a number of Micro Four Thirds lenses into a small bag and still have room to spare...

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast