Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What new Micro Four Thirds lenses would you like to see added to the roadmaps?

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    495 Posts
    Liked 123 Times in 61 Posts

What new Micro Four Thirds lenses would you like to see added to the roadmaps?

I was recently asked by a senior UK industry figure what new lenses I would like to see in Micro Four Thirds. I was caught on the hop a bit but I suggested the following:

A cheap 'standard' lens following the availability of inexpensive 50mm f/1.8 lenses that Canon and Nikon users can enjoy. So a 25mm f/1.8 at around the 150 mark. It probably shouldn't be a pancake, either.

Micro Four Thirds premium quality and weather sealed versions of the Olympus Four Thirds ZD 50-200 f/2.8-3.5 and 12-60 f/2.8-4.

Do you agree and what would you also like to add to the list?

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: What new Micro Four Thirds lenses would you like to see added to the roadmaps?

It seems like I am the first so my vote goes to a that cheap 25mm f1.8 that you mention above. However I have conceptual problems with using anything longer than 35mm equivalent lenses via the rear screen so I need some form of viewfinder, preferably optical on a 50mm equivalent body.

So if Oly bring out that lens plus an optical viewfinder (similar to the 17mm one) at roughly the price you mention I will rush out and buy one - how's that for an offer?

Roger

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: What new Micro Four Thirds lenses would you like to see added to the roadmaps?

I think a good addition to micro 4/3rds would be a weather-sealed 300mm F4 and maybe a 1.4X teleconverter. That would potentially open the door to birders and wildlife photographers.
    Dan Lang

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Certainly a 1.4x teleconverter would be useful and, methinks, easy to make.
    Stephen - www.flickr.com/photos/argyllphotos
    Olympus OM-D E-M1, E-M5, Zenza Bronica, and an ever-changing nest of lenses

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Some telephoto lenses for us wildlife guys.

400f4, 300f4, 200f4

More macro 120f4 would do me just fine.

The 1.4x converter

The above looks good to me, lets hope we get some.
    EP2, EPL3 & EM5, plus a few to many lens and Canon FD MF lens x 3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ian, I am exactly waiting for the lenses you propose:

• +++ most important: a fast+sharp 12-60 is THE zoom lens I need, my 14-150 is slow and its wide end is not perfect at all

• ++ next thing: a fast and sharp lens with 200 or 300mm, my 14-150 is soft at the long end too. 75-300 is sharp but slow, a fast 200mm/300mm would be very interesting ..

• + nice to have: The 25/1.8 with the quality/size of the 45/1.8 could replace the bulky panaleica 25 (freeing some space in my bag for the two lenses above ;-)

Hope the rumors about next Oly lenses going round for some weeks finally become true ...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

1. 14mm 1:4 shift
    2. 12-60mm 1:4 or faster
    3. 14mm 1:4 shift
    4. 100mm 1:4 macro
    5. 14mm 1:4 shift

For me all those lenses need to be high-quality, the ultimate in speed is not essential. Did I say I'd like to see a shift 14mm coming? Schneider, Zeiss, are you listening?
    Last edited by addieleman; 4th September 2012 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Typos corrected

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

How about an ultra-wide angle prime in the 7-9mm range?

I would imagine that most ultra-wide lenses are only used in their widest setting anyway!
    E1, EP3, GX1, 14-54 mkII, 70-300mm, m9-18, m14-42, m40-150, m20 1.7, m45 1.8, FL36 & various OM glass. flickr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    202 Posts
    Liked 103 Times in 74 Posts

Ian, your list is the perfect start! MFT versions of the 12-60 and 50-200 are at the top of my wish list. I would certainly buy both as soon as they are available. An inexpensive, non-pancake 25/1.8 is a great idea as well (though it might make me feel bad that I spent so much on the great Panasonic-Leica 25/1.4. )

I'll add my vote for a marcro in the 105mm range. I have the 4/3 Sigma 105 macro, which is a nice lens, but I would consider trading it for a native MFT of comparable focal length if the price is reasonable. It needs to have a 1:1 magnification ratio without any adapters.

There are plenty of other lenses that would look nice in the catalog, but the truth is that wouldn't use any of them enough to justify a purchase. Long teles and ultrawides are always exciting. Maybe I would hire one for a special photo trip, but I'm unlikely to buy one. A 1.4X teleconverter is a nice idea as well, and reasonably affordable, but I'm not sure I would actually buy one. I'm a bit of a minimalist when it comes to gear purchases.

- Hal -
    A Still Mind - Photography, Music, Meditation, Ministry - www.astillmind.net
    Olympus E-M5; Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 25mm; Zuiko 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD; Sigma 105 Macro; Rokinon (Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye; Olympus 8/1.8 PRO fisheye; FL-50R; Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    354 Posts
    Liked 115 Times in 83 Posts

I'd settle for a smaller, lighter Micro Four Thirds version of the 14-54mm f2.8/3.5.

Or, if that would still be on the large size, maybe a 14-45mm f3.5/4.

Small and light is key for me. I would settle for a restricted zoom range to get a small, light standard zoom with max aperture of f4 at the long end.
    View my ebook, The Light Fantastic, at: http://store.blurb.co.uk/ebooks/3026...ight-fantastic

John

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast