Thread: Hyperfocal distance and Panasonic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hyperfocal distance and Panasonic.

Essentially, all you have to do is set the camera to manual focus, and cycle the camera power off and back on. The lens automatically resets to the hyperfocal distance for the current f-stop. I believe this works on all of the Lumix Micro 4/3 cameras, but have only confirmed it on the GF1. I would welcome feedback from others who have tried this technique on other models.

From here..........
    http://dmc-365.blogspot.co.uk/2012/0...to-use-it.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Hyperfocal distance and Panasonic.

That's a nice track, will try it out on my GH2!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Liked 103 Times in 74 Posts

What a great feature (if it really works)! Have Panasonic documented this, or can it be confirmed with Panasonic? (Odd, though, that you have to turn the camera off to make this sort of setting.)

Has anyone tried this with an Olympus MFT camera? I just tried with my E-410 and 12-60 lens. When I turn in off in MF mode, the lens seems to reset to infinity regardless of the f/stop or focal length.

- Hal -
    A Still Mind - Photography, Music, Meditation, Ministry - www.astillmind.net
    Olympus E-M5; Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 25mm; Zuiko 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD; Sigma 105 Macro; Rokinon (Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye; Olympus 8/1.8 PRO fisheye; FL-50R; Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This trick doesn't work on my GH2, at least not with the 45-175: it stays focussed close even after a power down/up cycle. Didn't try with other lenses.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hschnee View Post
    What a great feature (if it really works)! Have Panasonic documented this, or can it be confirmed with Panasonic? (Odd, though, that you have to turn the camera off to make this sort of setting.)

Has anyone tried this with an Olympus MFT camera? I just tried with my E-410 and 12-60 lens. When I turn in off in MF mode, the lens seems to reset to infinity regardless of the f/stop or focal length.

- Hal -
    On the E-PL2 there is an option in the menu to revert to infinity when powering down. I set mine to off. (pg 78 of the USA manual)
    Last edited by WJW; 30th April 2012 at 01:28 AM. Reason: added info
    Jeff in Waco, TX

RB67, 124G, E-PL5, E-M10, XZ-2

My photos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Wales View Post
    Essentially, all you have to do is set the camera to manual focus, and cycle the camera power off and back on. The lens automatically resets to the hyperfocal distance for the current f-stop. I believe this works on all of the Lumix Micro 4/3 cameras, but have only confirmed it on the GF1. I would welcome feedback from others who have tried this technique on other models.

From here..........
    http://dmc-365.blogspot.co.uk/2012/0...to-use-it.html
    Not quite! your close though.
    If you use manual focus and set the HFD to what you want, lets say 5mtrs, when you power off the camera then (perhaps later on at the next location) power the camera back on (still in MF mode though) the focus position will remain the same. in other words, when in MF mode the lens does not reset to infinity position as it would do under AF mode.
    Useful if you want to retain a particular DOF by setting HFD for a range of shots (Aperture must remain the same though, so you will be using Shutter speed to control exposure).
    I think this feature on the panasonics (first noted on GF1 I think) has been mentioned in forum posts