Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: E-M5, E-P3, GH2, GX1 image quality comparisons

Happy Birder Guest

Re: E-M5, E-P3, GH2, GX1 image quality comparisons

Quote Originally Posted by lsrmz View Post
    Ed,

I am not someone who uses manual focus much, but I just assumed Ian used manual focus in order to ensure the same focal point for all the pictures, in order to avoid questions about sharpness or missed focus.

Lori
    Lori,

Thanks for taking the time to clear that.

Which in fact I knew.

And that's just the exact point when I talk about normal real world users and when I asked for real life tests, and not for ceteris-paribus tests.

Since what Ian was trying to avoid using manual focusing, is exactly what normal people want to discover, which is...

If I use this or that camera in the real world, would I obtain sharp and focused outputs, since I would use just AF (Automatic Focus) as normal people do? And as you above recognized you also normally do.

Thanks again Lori,

Cheers,

Ed

Happy Birder Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stuttaton View Post
    Come on, how much difference do you expect between 160 and 200 iso? It's just a third of a stop, for chrissakes!
    Well,

See what we realized in this same forum one week ago when we compared real base ISO dpreview in-studio samples (JPEG and RAW), and nothing can be more ceteris-paribus (unexistant world) than those dpreview tests.

JPEG Base ISO comparison E-M5 vs GH2

Post #85
    http://www.fourthirds-user.com/forum...t=10757&page=9

and

RAW Base ISO comparison E-M5 vs GH2

Post #100
    http://www.fourthirds-user.com/forum...=10757&page=10

So, at the end I'm glad that Ian splitted this kind of ceteris-paribus tests to this thread, this way we would be able to analyze the real life shots samples on the original one. Which are the ones that normal people who visit this site is interested on.

Ed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Birder View Post
    Well,

See what we realized in this same forum one week ago when we compared real base ISO dpreview in-studio samples (JPEG and RAW), and nothing can be more ceteris-paribus (unexistant world) than those dpreview tests.

JPEG Base ISO comparison E-M5 vs GH2

Post #85
    http://www.fourthirds-user.com/forum...t=10757&page=9

and

RAW Base ISO comparison E-M5 vs GH2

Post #100
    http://www.fourthirds-user.com/forum...=10757&page=10

So, at the end I'm glad that Ian splitted this kind of ceteris-paribus tests to this thread, this way we would be able to analyze the real life shots samples on the original one. Which are the ones that normal people who visit this site is interested on.

Ed
    And your point is?
    Last edited by Stuttaton; 4th April 2012 at 12:30 PM. Reason: grammar

Happy Birder Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stuttaton View Post
    And your point is?
    Since it is obvious you are not going to see what you don't want to see, and since I know that nobody can be rational with that kind of people, I'm not going to waste more time on you.

But I have no problem to spend time in benefit of the majority of real world normal independent users who are visiting this forum, and as birder, very accustomed to discover and identify details accuracy differences.

Here I show the details that I recommend anybody to at least compare in the above.

DPR - RAW - in-studio - Base ISO - E-M5(200) vs GH2(160) details comparison

E-M5(200) to the left, GH2(160) to the right

Ed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

Ed

These two pictures are pretty darn close, if my eyes don't deceive me, the GH2 pics look to have a whiskers more contrast and that seems to have increased the fine detail slightly, but its very very close.
    Pete

Happy Birder Guest

Quote Originally Posted by whatapicture View Post
    Ed

These two pictures are pretty darn close, if my eyes don't deceive me, the GH2 pics look to have a whiskers more contrast and that seems to have increased the fine detail slightly, but its very very close.
    Pete
    Pete,

As an experimented birder, with a very developed sense for details, I can tell you that there are actually and undisputable details in GH2 image that just do not exist in E-M5 sample, no matter how much somebody plays with contrast. And I invite you to do that to realize what I mean.

Going further, it was almost a consensus some days ago, that E-M5 process the images in-camera in such a way that they appear more sharp and detailed than its sensor is really capable to deliver.

It's always sad to inform that the "Emperor" is in fact walking naked, but somebody would do it at the end.

Ed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by whatapicture View Post
    Ed

Pete
    Well, it seems the GH2 does have a tiny bit more resolution, which is only visible when you pixel-peep at 200% magnification. When you look att real world images at real world magnification however, the E-M5 tends to give the more pleasing results. I guess this is due to better processing, more aimed at real world images, and an important part of the famous "Olympus colour".
    Last edited by Stuttaton; 4th April 2012 at 01:20 PM. Reason: added text

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Birder View Post
    Since it is obvious you are not going to see what you don't want to see, and since I know that nobody can be rational with that kind of people, I'm not going to waste more time on you.

But I have no problem to spend time in benefit of the majority of real world normal independent users who are visiting this forum, and as birder, very accustomed to discover and identify details accuracy differences.

Here I show the details that I recommend anybody to at least compare in the above.

DPR - RAW - in-studio - Base ISO - E-M5(200) vs GH2(160) details comparison

E-M5(200) to the left, GH2(160) to the right

Ed
    Hello Ed.
    I'm not a birder, but I am used to see detail in all the very fine lines my plotter has to produce in my architect drawings.

I agree with you about the "old lady" wrinkles.
    But I also see the other way in the gray wool near the right eye, where the EM-5, to my eyes, performed better.

In all recent cameras we can all see better details in one or another, and we can all prefer a different camera based in different analysis from the same review. And I have no problem in state that I do not have the best possible camera for the pictures I do, or need to do. But, to me, I have the best possible combination of size, cost, weight and results, considering the camera and lens I have to cary everyday.

For instance, I'm one of those guys very interested in "indoors, base ISO, tripod mounted camera" pictures... Because sometimes I depend on that kind of pictures.

And this is my one and only post in this very long talk about "mine is better that yours".

I canīt remember a single mirrorless or DSLR that came out in the last years that we can call " bad camera!"

Best regards,

Rogerio

Happy Birder Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rogerioi View Post
    Hello Ed.
    For instance, I'm one of those guys very interested in "indoors, base ISO, tripod mounted camera" pictures... Because sometimes I depend on that kind of pictures.

Best regards,

Rogerio
    Rogerio,

Thanks for confirming the importance of "base ISO" comparisons.

Fortunately, and as Ian confirmed even though the very hectic day he is having.

We would be able to see GH2 and GX1 base ISO 160 samples as soon as he has the time to upload those already taken images.

Ed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't think there's much doubt, at least to my eye, the GH2 has more detail in these images. But I don't think the difference would be visible in a normal size image, whether viewed on a monitor or a print.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast