Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oly Marketing... Research and Reality

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts

Re: Oly Marketing... Research and Reality

When I think of where I am always seeing Canon, Nikon and Sony, I never see Olympus. The sole exception is the U. S. Open (tennis). Canikony has advertising all around sporting events and in sports magazines. The average person then thinks... "If I want a serious camera to get these kind of shots, I need that brand.
    But I think the ultimate publication is the one that is most respected for photography. Sitting in a waiting room looking at all the glorious images (does anyone read the stories?) in "National Geographic", there are always at least one two page spread from Canikony and more smaller ads. These large ads feature glorious images in them too. The message sent is that you need thier camera to get these great photos. I know that there are National Geographic photographers using Oly equipment but the impression (with the average guy on the street) is that serious photographers only use Canikony.

Jeff
    My grandson, Ian (not our own FTU Ian), calls me "Tata", so I am...

Ian's Tata

Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons...
    For you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

http://ianstata.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ians-tata/
    http://www.edwardswaterhouseinn.com/ 2014, 2015, & 2016 TripAdvisor Certificates of Excellence
    https://www.facebook.com/edwardswaterhouse

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bankruptcies over the last ten plus years have hurt Oly more than the others. Wolfs Camera was the first big one, yes all suppliers to Wolfs lost out when the court OKed Ritz purchase of Wolfs, including the inventory, but none of the liabilities. Olympus demanded Ritz pay them for that Wolf inventory or send it back. Ritz said No, and the law is on Ritz side! Oly pushed hard, too hard to get paid & Ritz dropped Oly from their 1000+ stores, so now the largest dealer in the USA doesn't sell Oly!
    A few years latter, Oly gets back into Ritz, great news for Oly, right? Stocking all the stores is a big order & Ritz wants extra time to pay. Before payment, Ritz files for bankruptcy, the next week Olympus lays off 95% of it's sales force in the US! Same for Circuit City!

So why even bother take the chance with USA bricks and mortar

Quote Originally Posted by Ians Tata View Post
    Good marketing research can show what product will sell well in the marketplace. But the reality of marketing is that if you don't put your product where it can be seen and purchased, then all the research in the world won't help you.
    I believe that Olympus has finally shown us the direction that they are heading with their cameras. They have abandoned the entry market for "full sized" four-thirds and are leaving that segment with the "pro" option only. The "Pen" series is to be the "feeder" to the new OM-D series. While I believe that Oly is probably correct in the direction that their marketing research has indicated that they should follow, Olympus will never be the force that they could be if they can't get their entry level cameras into the entry level marketplace.
    To give an example, actually two, of their failure in this area i will use my daughter and her best friend. My daughter Amanda (I didn't know that she and her husband had been looking for a "decent" camera) and her husband, Scott, purchased a Canon Rebel. And her best friend purchased a Sony.
    The rational for these purchases was very simple. They were offered for good prices at Cosco and another "big box" store.
    If Olympus can't get their entry level cameras into the major retailers and big box stores , then they are missing a HUGE segment of buyers.
    The typical entry level buyer of a "good" camera is not likely to go to a "camera store", not even the large online stores like Adorama and B&H. They also are more likely to read reviews in magazines like "Consumer Reports" than "Popualr Photography".
    Walmart used to offer Olympus DSLRs in the E-xxx range but as Oly began to phase them out, they disappeared from the shelves. Actually I don't even see any P/S Olys in Walmart anymore.
    Having an outstanding product is NOT good enough if it isn't out there where the general public can see it.
    Sorry for the rant, but I have believed for a long time that Olympus's biggest problem is not in their cameras but that few people actually know how great their cameras are, and can only see them in limited locations.

Jeff
    "composition; the rule of 4 thirds"

"living life to the Four Thirds"

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Sadly, these retailers in the UK tend to stock and promote things they want to sell us rather than what is best for the customer!

Ian
    I would think that, like in the US, floor space is bought at the big box stores. When you see those displays for the Sony mirrorless cameras at Best Buy, that's because Sony has coughed up loads of cash to get better floor space.

Quote Originally Posted by WPJ View Post
    Taking a leaf out of Leicas' marketing strategy, they keep the quality high, price high and exclusivity high; I imagine they are profitable. Olympus are somewhat similar, but don't have the 'want' factor that Leica do. For me they are alienating some existing users with their current direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Leica's business model is completely different.
    Leica camera doesn't make any money.

Quote Originally Posted by hard as snails View Post
    So why even bother take the chance with USA bricks and mortar
    Well, you bother because now more than ever, more and more Americans buy their cameras from very uninformed sales people at Best Buy.
    ~Reggie

Nikon D3s | D500 | Nikkor 300mm f/4 PF | Tamron 10-24 f/3.5-4.5 | 70-200 f/2.8 G2 | Sigma 50 f/1.4 Art | 500mm f/4 Sport

Panasonic GX8 | GF3 | 20 f/1.7 II | 12-35 f/2.8

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i am totally agree with you. i believe the olympus have them all, let's say their vision about digital camera, their high quality product, even the image quality is superb. i only feel really sorry that they don't have good marketer. for example : the Olympus E3 is the world first Pro (grade DSLR - Weather Shield) with swivel LCD but just looked at how the promote it through magazine.. the just show the E3 with swivel LCD facing forward and with splash of water all over the body and lens.. unlike the EOS 60D the show picture with very low angle (so it show how the swivel LCD use for) and also with the tag line : New Prespective. once again it just show how incompetence of their marketing..

and i am so sad that when my friend ask me about what is the good entry level DSLR do you suggest ?, i really sad because olympus don't have anymore.. even when i try to tell them about the new mirrorless system it really takes time just to explain that the image result is equally better than the entry level DSLR.. i believe, it is because for some new user that the want to upgrade from compact camera, they want to feel the sensation of DSLR, but they even don't understand about the image quality.. and they want the faster response of DSLR..

i think olympus big gambling by abandoning the entry level DSLR maket is too big.. even now they have OM D : EM-5, the price is to high for someone never know what M4/3 is..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts

Reggie B (really good to hear from you again) really says it all. In order to get space in stores, whether you are selling cameras or potato chips, you HAVE TO BUY the space. Yes it can be seen as a bribe, but that is the way it works in retail, because there is ONLY so much space available. If you are unwilling to pay for the shelf space, then nobody sees your product,but for Oly it goes beyond that. Nobody is going to look for the product if they DON'T KNOW it exists. Olympus HAS great cameras but FEW know it. even fewer know just how many truly GREAT photographers use them.
    Another point, I was just reading today about new LG smart phones and the funny thing was that one of the PRIMARY selling points was the 4/3 viewing format. The ratio for other DSLR's, below full frame is totally unsuited for anything other than a 4x6 print.
    I also will continue on Oly's decision to COMPLETELY abandon the entry level DSLR market. If they had done this a few years ago, I would not have found my way here, which I am VERY grateful for.

Jeff
    My grandson, Ian (not our own FTU Ian), calls me "Tata", so I am...

Ian's Tata

Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons...
    For you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

http://ianstata.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ians-tata/
    http://www.edwardswaterhouseinn.com/ 2014, 2015, & 2016 TripAdvisor Certificates of Excellence
    https://www.facebook.com/edwardswaterhouse

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    78 Posts
    Liked 91 Times in 42 Posts

Isnīt Nikon cameras in TV show, also marketing? As an example the 3 CSI series where everytime a camera is used, itīs a Nikon and they make shure that you see that brand. In Sweden I havenīt seen an Olympus TV commercial in years, but Nikon and Canon have them all the time. At the moment there is a Nikon 1 commercial running of several TV channels.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12