Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How does the L1 perform compared to todays SLRs?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: How does the L1 perform compared to todays SLRs?

BE79n, you may be interested in a couple of information items regarding the system you've bought into.

1. Eyecup magnifier

Leica wanted the L1/Digilux3 to look like a classic Leica rangefinder, which it does (and which is one of the things we L1 users really like about it). One result (without going into the reasons why) was that the OVF is somewhat smaller and darker than it is in many of the other 4/3 cameras. When Panny released the L10, they included a second eyecup that is a magnifying eyecup. It is Panasonic part number VYC0973 and while getting scarce, is still available (at least in the US), for around $35. It does make the L1 viewfinder image larger at the expense of you needing to move your eye to the left to be able to see the exposure info along the right edge of the viewfinder. You get used to this quickly and many of us L1 users really like using the Panny magnifying eyecup. The Olympus magnifying eyecup will fit on the L1 but while it isn't any less expensive it's not as good optically, including having less eye relief which is an issue if you wear eyeglasses. I actually use a Panny on one of my older Oly cameras (the E-500).

2. Lenses

Leica designed four lenses for the L1/L10 system. You already have the Vario-Elmarit 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5. That kit lens made the L1 an expensive item and when Panny released the L10 they included a slower but less expensive 14-50 f/3.85.6 kit lens. It was never a very popular lens because the f/2.8-3.5 version was simply a better lens.

The other two Leica-designed 4/3 lenses have achieved classic/cult status in the 4/3 world - rare, expensive, and magnificent optics. The more well known of the two is the Summilux 25mm f/1.4 - the only prime (non-zoom) and non-OIS lens of the four. It has been the fastest lens available in a 4/3 mount for years. Sigma released a couple of very fast 4/3 primes but they needed to be stopped down to reach the sharpness that the Leica has wide open. Many folks who have never seen an L1 own and use this lens on Oly 4/3 cameras. The last of the four is the Vario-Elmar Aspherical 14-150mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. Not many were made and they rarely if ever show up in the used lens market, because those of us who have one would never sell it. From time to time on 4/3 camera forums someone posts the question, "If you could only take one lens on a trip which one would it be?" We Vario-Elmar owners just chuckle.

Ted

Edit: One other thing. The L1 does one thing no other 4/3 camera does - focus confirmation with a manual focus lens. The L1 has a back-focus distance long enough to be able to focus almost any legacy lens to infinity (except Canon FD lenses) and you can get a 4/3 adapter to mount almost any brand of lens on it. When you do that the lens is manual iris and manual focus, but the L1 will give you a focus confirmation. To do that with any other 4/3 camera requires a special, so-called "dandelion" adapter.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    502 Posts
    Liked 123 Times in 61 Posts

The design of the L1 with its off-set viewfinder was completely dictated by the camera under the Panasonic skin, which was a customised Olympus E-330. This used an arrangement of mirrors, including a sideways reflex mirror instead of a conventional vertical reflex mirror and pentamirror or pentaprism. The size and brightness of the viewfinder view is also because of this. With a frame area a quarter that of a 35mm film SLR the size of the viewfinder view was pretty much as large as it could be without some added trickery (which we did see in some later cameras, like a tilted focus screen and pentaprism in the E-3, for example). The viewfinder brightness was also compromised by a semi-silvered mirror in the viewfinder.

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Even more intetesting. I have fallen in love with the camera and lens and even got my girlfriend a camera to keep her happy while i'm snapping away.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    354 Posts
    Liked 115 Times in 83 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Be79n View Post
    Even more intetesting. I have fallen in love with the camera and lens and even got my girlfriend a camera to keep her happy while i'm snapping away.
    Thanks for the update, it's great to hear that you are getting on so well with the camera.
    View my ebook, The Light Fantastic, at: http://store.blurb.co.uk/ebooks/3026...ight-fantastic

John

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you could help on my other thread it would be amazing. On a real budget and would love to try and photo the moon with a zoom lens.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12