View RSS Feed

brian43053

help please

Rate this Entry
i am trying to decide on a macro lense for my olympus e510. could anyone recomend a good one for me and give me reasons why you are recomending what you recomend? are the zuiko lenses considered the best for olympus cameras? i have done a little research into some of the sigma & panasonmnic lenses but have not gotten any real feel for them. i was looking at the sigma 30mm 1.4 but it got as many bad reviews as it got good ones. i did notice that a lot of the bad reviews came from cannon or nikon users. have any olympus users had experiences with sigma lenses they would care to share with me?

Submit "help please" to Digg Submit "help please" to del.icio.us Submit "help please" to StumbleUpon Submit "help please" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

The blog section is probably not the best place to ask for advice - it's really for giving advice

Anyway, the 50mm f/2 Zuiko Digital is a very fine lens although won't give you the closest results without the optional EX-25 extension tube. The 35mm f/3.5 ZD gets you very close, but maybe too close as you will be right on top of your subject. The 105mm f/2.8 Sigma macro is not a sophisticated lens, mechanically, but a very good performer -see my review here:

http://fourthirds-user.com/2007/08/s...ens_review.php

The ZD 70-300 f/4-5.6 zoom has a very capable macro functionality that makes it a very versatile lens and great value too.

Back to Sigma and they do a 150mm macro - I have never used it but I have seen some excellent results.

Ian
    i own the 70-300. how can i get it to work as macro? as you can tell i'm relatively new to photograhy so pardon me if my questions seem "silly".
    Quote Originally Posted by brian43053
    i own the 70-300. how can i get it to work as macro? as you can tell i'm relatively new to photograhy so pardon me if my questions seem "silly".
    There is no macro-mode or switch or anything like that, all you need to do is get as close as possible (1.2m with AF, or about 96 centimeters with manual focus) and zoom in as much as you need to get wanted magnification.
    You can use EX-25 tube if needed to get closer, but I have some doubts about it's useability and at cost of EX-25 you can have a Zuiko 35mm macro lens.
    The 70-300mm is perhaps best regarded as a very capable close up lens (with a huge working distance) rather than a macro lens. It also has huge versatility as a regular tele-zoom, of course.

I currently have long term use of a friend's 105mm Sigma, which is a true macro, and in terms of magnification, working distance, versatility and quality in relation to price it is hard to beat.