View RSS Feed

John Perriment

The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Blogger

Rate this Entry
I've been blogging for about a week now but in many ways it seems a lot longer, not least because prior to that I only had a vague notion about the concept of a blog. In this Internet savvy age that might seem a little nave but I do tend only to acquaint myself with aspects of the modern age, or indeed any age, that interest me or directly affect me. A bit like Homosexuality or Christianity, really. I know they both go on and I have no axe to grind with either, but their relevance has passed me by. However, I like to think I'm broad minded and if anyone could convince me of the merits of either I might be tempted to give it a try!

And so (moving swiftly on) to blogging. Having seen Ian's explanation of the subtle differences between a forum post and a blog entry I was persuaded to start my own blog, which is both an exciting and challenging prospect. It's great to have your own platform to express opinions and deliver information that you think (hope!) might be interesting to others. The scary bit is the sense of self generated pressure that you feel to regularly come up with a post that fulfils this ideal. Plus the apprehension of how long you can continue to be thought provoking or interesting or even relevant. What happens if you simply run out of ideas?

Also, there is no doubt that you do feel a little more isolated from the community than when making a post on the forum, where generally you will get more views and comments, and certainly a greater interaction with the other members. On the plus side, it can lead you in unexpected directions. I've been approached by John Curgenven, the Editor of http://www.better-photographs.com/, who saw my blog and has asked me to contribute a landscape and light masterclass to his site. This is both exciting and daunting, but will provide me with valuable experience of that type of venture.

I guess that rather like the long distance runner it's a case of head down and get on with it, but if anyone would like to comment from time to time on the content of my blog, whether it is good or bad, and how it might be improved, I would be grateful.

Submit "The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Blogger" to Digg Submit "The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Blogger" to del.icio.us Submit "The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Blogger" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Blogger" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I have had much the same feeling as you John with my own blog on DPNow, but came to the conclusion that there was absolutely no point in feeling pressured. Just do it when you feel you have something to say. I've certainly enjoyed reading yours so far, so keep up the good work, just don't feel you are writing for a magazine with deadlines