View RSS Feed

John Perriment

A case for HDR?

Rate this Entry
I stopped today whilst passing a vinyard, attracted by the strong backlighting and the translucence this gave to the vines and the trees beyond. However, the shadows and highlights that I wanted to preserve were way beyond the dynamic range of the camera, especially as I was saving as JPEG.

I tried recovering these in pp using highlight and shadow adjustment on the best balanced JPEG from my bracketed sequence, but I've still introduced some noise in the shadows (albeit cleaned up a bit with Dfine 2.0) and burnt out some highlights in the brightest clouds. Shame I didn't have a tripod because this, surely, would have been a prime candidate for HDR. Alternatively, had I saved as a raw file I might just have extracted enough detail for a pseudo HDR.

I also tried concentrating on the lines of vines, omitting the sky, but although that shot has great leading lines I have to ask "to where?"

Can't win 'em all, but at least I had fun trying with my little E-PL1.

Submit "A case for HDR?" to Digg Submit "A case for HDR?" to del.icio.us Submit "A case for HDR?" to StumbleUpon Submit "A case for HDR?" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I suspect you needed a tall ladder (or to climb a tree) to get those leading lines right. Do wonder about a shot across the lines - with the camera tilted down and the gaps between the vines getting smaller.
    Yes, Nick, more elevation would definitely help. Perhaps I should return with a step ladder (I'm too old to climb trees!)
    That is why I always shoot RAW+JPEG. And with the price of memory going down, I am replacing my old slow 32GB CF with a new, much faster one. No more 4GB cards when I need speed. Sometimes I don't feel like processing, but sometimes I need the RAW to save a shot that would have been nothing but a disappointment in the age before digital.

I also like HDR, so long as it is done carefully and not to an extent that the picture looks overly processed.