View RSS Feed

Member blogs

Anybody registered on the Four Thirds User discussion forum and galleries can start their own blog here.

1. Flawed Beauty

Photographers naturally posses a desire to capture beauty in nature and strive to produce images that display it to perfection. We all want the perfect sunrise, perfect waterfall or perfect vista. When it come to smaller details we are no less demanding. Nothing in nature is more beautiful than a flower but we cannot photograph any old flower, it has to be a perfect specimen.

The same with leaves. Yesterday I spent a pleasant hour in a local park searching for fallen leaves, not ...
    Categories
    Member blogs
  2. High Expectations, Low Rewards

We have high expectations of Nature. We love to photograph landscapes, flowers, trees and, in the autumn, fallen leaves. But we always want to find a pristine example, the perfect specimen, before we press the shutter.

If we have a snowfall we want to capture the virgin snow before anyone, or anything, has walked on it. We expect a beautiful scene to be free of electricity pylons and other man made intrusions. To warrant the attention of our lens a flower must be perfect in every ...
    Categories
    Member blogs
  3. 'Ullo John! Gotta New Tripod?

You only need one camera, but a boy can never have too many tripods. Or so it seems with me! I already have a Benbo Mk1, which is incredibly robust, sturdy and flexible, a Benbo Trekker, which shares many of the qualities of it's bigger brother but is smaller and lighter, a Gitzo 106, which is very compact and lightweight and a Kennet of uncertain vintage which extends to about 10 feet, for which you also need a step ladder. With this selection I can cover anything from looking over a nine foot ...
    Categories
    Member blogs
  4. I Couldn't Bring Myself To Do It!

I took my complete Bronica system to town today, the first time it's been out of the house for over a year. The plan was to see how much trade-in allowance Cameraworld would give me against, for example, an E-P1 and/or a 9-18mm ZD for my E3.

But it didn't happen. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I had a look in the shop, of course and it was full of goodies. Yes, they had the E-P1 with both 14-42mm and 17mm lenses. They also had the GF1 with 20mm and EVF what a combination ...
    Categories
    Member blogs
  5. Twee Or Reality?

A few days ago I visited a local art exhibition. I always find this a rewarding experience on several levels. Not only is it an opportunity to admire the work of some very talented local artists, it's also a valuable exercise in sharing their vision and interpretation of familiar local scenes and, through their eyes, discovering new locations that have hitherto passed me by.

Looking closely at the work of several artists, I was struck by their diligence at recording every feature ...
    Categories
    Member blogs
  6. Women wanted!

Why are there so few women photographers? At all levels. I was prompted to consider this question by a very amusing article (more of a rant, actually) by Ann Toon in the latest issue of Outdoor Photography magazine. Ann is a very successful nature photographer in her own right (in her own right...see, I'm only on the fourth sentence and already I'm being patronising, if unintentionally) and one half of a photographic partnership with her husband Steve.

She recounts how it is often ...
    Categories
    Member blogs
  7. Does Four Thirds Have A Better Aspect Than Other Formats?

Andy raised a point about image aspect ratios in a comment on Ian's Daily Hints and Tips Blog yesterday. One particular feature that makes Four Thirds DSLRs unique is the image aspect ratio. In common with most compacts the ratio is 4:3 (not the reason for the name of the format, just a co-incidence). However, all other DSLR formats and systems are 3:2 in line with the old 135 (35mm) film format. The question is, does it matter?

The answer is bound to be subjective, but to me it is ...
    Categories
    Member blogs
  8. A Pocket Full Of Pixels

As DSLR owners we often tend to dismiss digital compacts as inferior cameras that are hardly worth carrying, due to their compromised image quality caused by the tiny sensor. It's true that at high ISO IQ can leave a lot to be desired, but keep to around 100 ISO in good light and the quality can be ...
    Categories
    Member blogs
  9. Working The Light

What a lovely day it's been. As I walked my daughter to school this morning I rejoiced in the gentle warmth of the autumn sun on my face, tempered by the slightest cool breeze, and couldn't but notice how clean and fresh everything looked, washed by the crisp morning light. I just knew I had to get out to take a picture. It was a bit illogical, because the sky was that insipid, milky blue that unfortunately often contrives to ruin the potential of such promising days in terms of landscape photography. ...
    Categories
    Member blogs
  10. Portrait Of A Place

When you shoot a landscape in many ways it's like taking a portrait of a person. You can choose to show either its good side or its bad side, capture its mood, portray its personality and include enough visual clues to tell the viewer a bit about what goes on there. Rather than just aim to capture a beautiful scene, why not try to make your subject more interesting by attempting to show its true character, by taking a portrait of the place?

A couple of years ago I spent a week exploring ...
    Categories
    Member blogs
  11. Improve Your Landscapes With A Tripod

If someone asks me the quickest way to improve their landscape photography I enquire if they always use a tripod. If they don't, that's the answer. The popular assumption is that you only need a tripod if the shutter speed falls below the level that you can hand hold with sharp results. This is certainly true, but is just one of the advantages of this remarkable and versatile three-legged friend.

Look at this picture, for example:-

Categories
    Member blogs
  12. Land, Light and Location

Yesterday, in my very first blog entry, I questioned how I would be using this new media and what I had to offer. The very first comment I received, from zzlipps, was in the form of a request that I share some of my landscape techniques. I must admit that is one area of photography where I have done relatively well in the past and it is a subject dear to my heart, so it's probably as good a place as any to start.

The common misconception is that in order to get spectacular landscapes ...
    Categories
    Member blogs
  13. Bloggin' All Over The World

Oh here we are and here we are and here we go
    All aboard and we're hittin' the road
    Here we go
    Bloggin' all over the world!

All I can say is I'd better hold on tight, I'm frightened I might fall off!

Being a little nave about these things I'm not totally sure about the difference between a forum post and a blog entry. As I understand it, I should still use the forum when I want to start a discussion but use my blog when I want to keep the focus ...
    Tags: john, rant Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Member blogs