PDA

View Full Version : Do old flashes work with the gh2?

Joeyd
14th July 2011, 09:58 PM
I'm looking to pick up some cheap flashes..and I was going to also get the wireless triggers for them..

Would I be able to use flashes like the Nikon SB-25 flashes with a panasonic gh2??

I've been tryign to google answers for this, but I haven't found any clear answer yet..

Ian
14th July 2011, 10:09 PM
I have seen someone using a Nikon flash on an Olympus Pen. Panasonic and Olympus use the same hot shoe flash contacts, so it probably will work, but you would need to use the Nikon flash in non-TTL auto mode, or even manual mode.

Ian

StephenL
15th July 2011, 06:29 PM
I don't know about "old", but the Olympus FL36 works perfectly with the GH2.

And in addition, I use a Canon flash extender cable flawlessly, so the contacts must be the same.

hschnee
16th July 2011, 04:53 PM
When I first bought my E-410 years ago, I used an old Nikon SB-16 flash with it (in manual and non-TTL auto modes, as others have said). I felt safe using the Nikon flash because:

1) the dedicated pins on Nikon flashes do not line up with the Olympus pins, so there is no danger of stray electrical signals damaging the camera. (I would not feel so safe with a Canon flash since they use the same pin arrangement as Olympus.)
2) I know that the SB-16 and newer Nikon flashes use a 6V triggering voltage. Be sure to check the voltage of any legacy flash you want to use since some older units used voltages as high as 250V, which can damage the circuits of your camera.

The GH-2 flash shoe is basically the same as that on the E-410, so my experience should be applicable.

- Hal -

james70094
16th July 2011, 08:02 PM
I use a variety of old film camera flashes on my gear with no problems. Old generic (non-TTL) flashes with a single pin are the type I am speaking of. Since it is the camera that triggers the flash, there is no worry about stray voltage. Ultimately, it is best to get a good TTL Flash.

Joeyd
20th July 2011, 04:52 PM
Well I did end up buying a Nikon Sb-24 flash which works great.

However, I did end up buying a wireless trigger for it, but the piece won't fit in the hotshoe of the camera :(

By the looks of it, I don't even know if I can mod it unless I can use some sort of wire..theres 2 metal pieces above the hotshoe plate that make it too wide to fit in the camera :(

jobzesage
21st July 2012, 10:10 AM
Same issue here, I'm trying to bring back to life an old Carena TZ 250 from my parents. I know, cheap stuff, but it's more for the fun of it. ;)

Sadly, when I hook it on, the GH2 doesn't seem to see that an external flash has been hooked on. So even in manual mode, it doesn't trigger...

Sad...

Anyone has experienced the same?

addieleman
21st July 2012, 10:45 AM
I've used a number of old flash units successfully on the GH2, including a Braun with only a centre contact and a Metz 45 with a cable-to-hotshoe converter (Nikon AS-15). The Metz is young enough to have a low trigger voltage, not the 200-300 V of older models.

The Nikon SB-24 and SB-26 also functioned without ado, albeit fully manual apart from the automatic triggering when the shutter fires ;). If you don't feel sure about it, just cover all contacts but the central contact with small pieces of insulating tape.

Ned
21st July 2012, 07:58 PM
I'm looking to pick up some cheap flashes..and I was going to also get the wireless triggers for them..

Would I be able to use flashes like the Nikon SB-25 flashes with a panasonic gh2??

I've been tryign to google answers for this, but I haven't found any clear answer yet..

If you're going to be using wireless triggers then you'll be fine. Radio or optical will work. Just set flash to manual on both speedlight and camera.

jobzesage
23rd July 2012, 03:38 PM
Cover all contacts but the central contact with small pieces of insulating tape.

That sounds like a good idea, I don't know a thing about which pin does what. I tried that, and still the panasonic doesn't notice the presence of the flash. The flash works on my Caplio GX100. But well, the flash is a really old piece of equipment, so no bad feelings ;)