PDA

View Full Version : Best way to adjust exposure when filming?

chilloutfriend
17th May 2011, 09:16 PM
I am struggling a little with filming and adjusting exposure on the GH2. Can someone explain which settings will ensure that the exposure is not changing when the lightning conditions are changing. I want to adjust the exposure manually myself - while filming in the Movie Mode. What is the best method?

Ned
20th May 2011, 12:27 AM
Has nobody been able to answer this question yet? I didn't want to answer because I shoot an Olympus PEN, not a Panasonic GF. On my PEN, you can set the Movie Mode to Aperture, Program, or Manual through the Menu settings. Manual will not allow the camera to automatically deviate from any settings you choose when you start the recording. I generally use Aperture mode myself, which allows me to control the look of the footage.

RobertD
22nd May 2011, 02:47 AM
Hi,
Well the way I do it is to shoot in full manual mode. Set your shutter speed to 50th (PAL video), this should not be changed. Then adjust your aperture to get the correct exposure. While shooting have the histogram visible so if you really need to you can make adjustments to the aperture on the fly.
Hope that helps. Cheers, Rob

chilloutfriend
23rd May 2011, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the help. By studying the user manual a little deeper, I found the solution. Setting the shutter to 50 (suitable for my PAL camera when I am filming in 1080i50) and then manual film mode, I can adjust the aperture and ISO to get the exposure I want. - I must say that I am very impressed with the automatic face detection on this camera. I am actually able to focus automatically on faces, even switching from one face to another while filming with a short depth of field.

AdrianF
23rd May 2011, 08:54 PM
You can set the shutter to other speeds, but if you are trying to mimic a film look, the 50 for 1080 and 100 for 720 ( if you want to use slow mo ) will work well. Manual movie mode is the best setting as you've found out already. You can do an exposure lock in Aperture Priority, which will work too. But Manual Movie gives you the most control.

Auio
6th July 2011, 07:03 PM
If you use aperture priority mode, the exposure should stay more or less constant while filming as the lighting changes.