PDA

View Full Version : Took lens off,put back on,now pics all black

Joeyd
10th May 2011, 03:31 PM
Has anyone had this problem yet? I took off my lens the other day, tried to see if these other lens would fit, then when I put my gh2 lens back on all the pics are coming out extremely dark.

I'm even shooting in the daylight in my room and it's not like how it's been..just really really really dark pics. I have to have the shutter open for like 4 seconds now to even get a light picture. I'm sure I messed up a setting,but I tried to reset the camera to no avail. :(

RogerMac
10th May 2011, 04:11 PM
Have you tried cleaning the lens to camera contacts?
Roger

Ned
10th May 2011, 04:27 PM
This is the kit lens from your GH2? Do you have any Micro Four-Thirds or Four-Thirds lenses that you can try?

Ian
10th May 2011, 04:46 PM
I suspect dirty lens contacts. Anyway, does the live view preview look OK? Switch to A (aperture priority) and set the maximum aperture (smallest f-number) and the press the shuttre release while observing the lens. Can you see the lens iris and does it close down when the shutter fires? (It shouldn't!).

Ian

Joeyd
10th May 2011, 10:41 PM
Yeah I think it does close down..when I press the the button I see a quick flash of black .

And yes, this is all stock GH2, about 1 week old. No other lenses I can test out so far.

I tried to see on how to clean the contact portion but I haven't found any thing in the manual on how to clean it.

ANDDD today I took a video that had a crapload of artifacts in it. Haven't had that happen at all till today.

Ian
11th May 2011, 09:21 AM
Yeah I think it does close down..when I press the the button I see a quick flash of black .

And yes, this is all stock GH2, about 1 week old. No other lenses I can test out so far.

I tried to see on how to clean the contact portion but I haven't found any thing in the manual on how to clean it.

ANDDD today I took a video that had a crapload of artifacts in it. Haven't had that happen at all till today.

At the back of the lens you will see a row of electrical contact pads. You can gently rub these with a lens cloth or a pencil eraser, ensuring no debris is left behind. In the throat of the camera you will find the corresponding pins that make contact with the pads. Ensuring not to generate dust from your cloth, gently brush over the ends of these. Re-mount the lens and see if it makes any difference.

Also, try setting the camera to iAuto mode - does that work normally?

Ian

fluffy
12th May 2011, 05:04 PM
Joey, any luck in solving this strange problem?

smartwombat
12th May 2011, 08:22 PM
tried to see if these other lens would fit
What lenses were they, and how far did you get in trying to fit them?
Did you switch the camera on while trying to fit the other lens?

Just wondering if it's electrical/electronic damage to the camera, or physical damage to the pins.

Joeyd
12th May 2011, 10:18 PM
Yeah the camera was on while I was seeing if it would fit..

It takes pics fine now..but I dunno, maybe its in my head but it doesn't seem the same..

I'll post some pics today, with teh shooting info, and see if its all in my head or whatnot..

PatsGH2
13th May 2011, 01:44 AM
Do you think that you may have inadvertently changed the ISO setting while taking the lens off and putting it back on?
These buttons are rather touchy. I guess that's why Ian has suggested that you try shooting in iMode to compare with your previous shots.
By the way, you should take a look at all the pertinent camera settings that are saved with your previous shots. You can then set the camera to the exact same settings and make new comparison shots.
Best of luck,
Pat