PDA

View Full Version : Dark lines in GH2 video; HELP!

Wildfire
26th April 2011, 01:27 PM
I just bought a new GH2 with the 14-140mm lens. I have done some test shooting of video in different environments the past few days that I have had it and found a problem shooting at one location.

In every location save for one I have noticed no issues. At a gym that I do a lot of video for I get dark horizontal lines across the screen. I tried changing the film settings, 1080i, 720p, etc. with no change. Changing the frame rate, iso, and f stop did not eliminate the lines (see photos). Zooming in had little effect as well. In the brightest settings the lines are least noticeable, but when I move the camera around they are still visible.

Is there a setting I may be missing? I wondered if the camera did not like the kind of lighting for some reason (not exactly sure what it is, see photo). Any ideas before I call Panasonic to look at a repair?

Thanks!

Ian
26th April 2011, 01:32 PM
I just bought a new GH2 with the 14-140mm lens. I have done some test shooting of video in different environments the past few days that I have had it and found a problem shooting at one location.

In every location save for one I have noticed no issues. At a gym that I do a lot of video for I get dark horizontal lines across the screen. I tried changing the film settings, 1080i, 720p, etc. with no change. Changing the frame rate, iso, and f stop did not eliminate the lines (see photos). Zooming in had little effect as well. In the brightest settings the lines are least noticeable, but when I move the camera around they are still visible.

Is there a setting I may be missing? I wondered if the camera did not like the kind of lighting for some reason (not exactly sure what it is, see photo). Any ideas before I call Panasonic to look at a repair?

Thanks!

I wonder if this is a frequency issue - is your camera US-spec. one? European cameras are set up for 50Hz and if the lighting is 60Hz, as it is in the US, especially fluorescent or neon lighting, it might produce results like this?

Ian

Wildfire
26th April 2011, 01:49 PM
Yes it is a US model.

I had wondered about this, though looking at the lights I am pretty sure they are not fluorescent. I think they are halogen and I know some halogens come in 60Hz frequencies.

If it is a frequency issue is there any way around the problem?

Auio
6th July 2011, 07:08 PM
That looks like 60Hz flicker from the lights at the location. Magnetic ballast fluorescents do this, for example. The light basically brightens and dims 60 times a second while at the same time the rolling shutter in the camera is scanning the image from top to bottom. I don't know any fix for though :(

West Arm Rider
6th July 2011, 08:47 PM
:confused: Sorry I don't know to much about video but can you adjust the shutter speed to less than 1/60th of a second to get a complete cycle.....

Auio
6th July 2011, 11:36 PM
Flicker is actually a continuous ramping up and down. The fast the shutter speed, the fewer ramping cycles you'll capture. But the rolling shutter in the camera that scans the image top to bottom will always pick up different parts of the image at different brightnesses. With a global shutter camera, you could sync to the frequency of the lights, but that is for eliminating a different kind of flicker, where whole frames vary in brightness. That's my understanding at least.

Gphro
11th February 2012, 01:20 AM
was there any resolution to this problem?

RobertD
11th February 2012, 05:52 AM
Hi,
So you have a US version (NTSC), GH2 which shoots video at 30fps and you are in UK.
The only solution would be to apply the hack software and make it a PAL / NTSC switchable. Then shoot in PAL format and 25fps. better for editing and creating videos for playback in UK anyway.
Cheers, Rob

RobertD
11th February 2012, 06:02 AM
Sorry I misread your location. US camera and 60hz shouldn't normally be a problem? Are you shooting in iA mode? If so, and in low light, then the shutter speed may be set lower than 60th.
Cheers, Rob

Janosch1408
21st May 2012, 05:22 PM
i've got the samer problem here in switzerland, just go under a 1/60 or look wich higher shutterspeed doesnt get this problem. But its normal :(

Stills
21st February 2013, 06:00 PM
I had flicker from using wrong SS and after online search found MSU flicker for Videodub. It saved the footage and now has no flicker.