PDA

View Full Version : Repairs to Olympus and IR conversion

lizziebea
18th February 2011, 03:39 PM
I have a 510 which has lost the exif info display in the eye viewfinder (though it can still be seen on the LCD screen) and I recently discovered that it didn't flash either. I had some time ago had to have it repaired at @ 160 at Olympus for focussing problems (I think it had been dropped) and I am unwilling to go for that again since I don't actually miss these features. I Have an E3 for serious stuff. However the E 520 is lighter and more portable and so is handy.

However, getting round to it I promise! I wondered if the camera could be converted to infrared as it is and phoned up Advanced Camera Services LTd to be told that they can't get the parts to repair the old Olympus cameras and that they could only convert the Pen. This is worrying.

I want to stay with Olympus as I think that the lenses are stunning and there's no point in losing the investment. I was also thinking of buying an E 620 to replace the 520.

Does anyone know of a company who will convert Olympus cameras to IR, and secondly, does anyone have any informed opinion on being able to get the cameras repaired for the indefinite future?

Ian
18th February 2011, 03:50 PM
I have a 510 which has lost the exif info display in the eye viewfinder (though it can still be seen on the LCD screen) and I recently discovered that it didn't flash either. I had some time ago had to have it repaired at @ 160 at Olympus for focussing problems (I think it had been dropped) and I am unwilling to go for that again since I don't actually miss these features. I Have an E3 for serious stuff. However the E 520 is lighter and more portable and so is handy.

However, getting round to it I promise! I wondered if the camera could be converted to infrared as it is and phoned up Advanced Camera Services LTd to be told that they can't get the parts to repair the old Olympus cameras and that they could only convert the Pen. This is worrying.

I want to stay with Olympus as I think that the lenses are stunning and there's no point in losing the investment. I was also thinking of buying an E 620 to replace the 520.

Does anyone know of a company who will convert Olympus cameras to IR, and secondly, does anyone have any informed opinion on being able to get the cameras repaired for the indefinite future?

Just because an independent repairer can't do the job doesn't mean Olympus can't. Have you tried them?

Ian

lizziebea
18th February 2011, 04:57 PM
Olympus have replied and they do not do it

Liz

Ellie
19th February 2011, 02:04 AM
Olympus have replied and they do not do it
Not sure if you mean that Olympus don't convert cameras to IR or that they don't repair E-510. :o

Have you tried Protech in Uckfield for IR conversions?

A much cheaper option might be to use an IR filter, such as the Hoya R72, but I expect you've already tried it.

lizziebea
19th February 2011, 11:26 AM
Olympus do repairs of course, but not IR conversion.