PDA

View Full Version : We've got a GH2 to explore

Ian
9th February 2011, 03:02 PM
Panasonic have sent us a GH2 to review. It's not brand new any more, but it's still relatively rare and it's special in being the highest specification Micro Four Thirds camera yet.

If you have any questions (or tips!) then let me know!

Ian

StephenL
9th February 2011, 04:12 PM
I'd love to know how it compares to the G2 on stills.

Ian
9th February 2011, 04:37 PM
I'd love to know how it compares to the G2 on stills.

I was originally expecting a G2 and some lenses but the GH2 arrived by itself... hopefully the others will be following.

Ian

StephenL
9th February 2011, 06:02 PM
Pass it over here - I'll try a comparison for you :D

fluffy
9th February 2011, 06:07 PM
I'd be very interested in knowing both any subjective and any objective comparisons you find with the GH1.

John Perriment
9th February 2011, 06:16 PM
Great News!

No specific questions, Ian, I'll look forward to your usual thorough reporting!

If you need some Panny MFT lenses I've got a 14-45mm and the 20mm pancake, I'm sure I could drop them down to you. :)

hschnee
9th February 2011, 07:35 PM
I'm especially interested in knowing how well AF works with a variety of regular FT lenses (including SWD) in various situations--bright and dim light, stationary and moving subjects, etc.

Thanks!

- Hal -

Alan Clogwyn
10th February 2011, 12:36 PM
I'd be very interested to see how it does for posterisation of skies, my GH1 is terrible for this, You cannot get a smooth sky out of it, at all.

Ian
10th February 2011, 04:45 PM
Frustratingly, the GH2's arrival coincided with a return to cloudy and wet weather here in Hemel :(

But thanks for all the requests - I will do my best!

Ian

donaldghtan
12th February 2011, 01:53 PM
My GH2 is only two weeks old and I have a problem.
The electronic Viewfinder have gone nuts. I may have made a 'booboo' while setting up some functions which resulted in a 'blue and red colour' picture. The LCD is ok but the viewfinder colour is driving me up the wall. I would only use the viewfinder instead of the LCD screen as I shoot HD videos outdoors. The Customer Care Centre here in Shah Alam, Malaysia is totally 'clueless' about this problem when I visited and showed them my camera yesterday.
They need time to settle this 'new' problem and would call me personally when to hand in the camera for repairs! REPAIR? Only two weeks old? Is this for real?
Really need experts' help here as I feel that it may only be a minor problem.

Thanks and Regards
Donald G.H. Tan
Klang, Selangor

addieleman
12th February 2011, 02:11 PM
Have you tried to adjust the colour balance of the viewfinder? You can do that via SETUP -> MONITOR. If that doesn't help the camera is most probably defective.

donaldghtan
12th February 2011, 02:27 PM
Thanks addieleman for your reply. Yup I have tried that. The buttons are at neutral (left to right) and also neutral (up and down).
The problem is still there. Did they sell me a faulty NEW camera?

To repair a new camera after one week of useage? (also to add one week to learn how to use! Ha!Ha!):mad:

Thanks again and Regards.

Have you tried to adjust the colour balance of the viewfinder? You can do that via SETUP -> MONITOR. If that doesn't help the camera is most probably defective.

donaldghtan
14th February 2011, 03:57 AM
Hi Ian,
I have posted a problem with my new GH2.
I guess I have placed it in a wrong post header as it should have been placed under GH2 problems.
It is about the Electronic Viewfinder now seems to malfunctioned. It is producing a 'red and blueish' color whereas the LCD monitor seemed fine.
The pictures are fine too.

I am wondering if any others have encountered similar problems since GH2 is new and limited? I am also stucked with the local Service Repair Centre.
Appreciate any help from fellow GH2 users.

Regards and Thank you

Donald G.H. Tan
Klang, Selangor, Malaysia

Panasonic have sent us a GH2 to review. It's not brand new any more, but it's still relatively rare and it's special in being the highest specification Micro Four Thirds camera yet.

If you have any questions (or tips!) then let me know!

Ian

Alan Clogwyn
14th February 2011, 02:39 PM
Go back to the colour settings for the lcd, look at the rear LCD when doing this - they are all in the middle of the sliders yes? Don't change anything, stay on that screen - now look through the viewfinder - where are the sliders now?

Ian
14th February 2011, 05:57 PM
29 samples now up, see:

http://fourthirds-user.com/2011/02/panasonic_lumix_dmcgh2_camera_jepg_and_raw_samples .php

Ian

Byll
14th February 2011, 08:44 PM
Informative pictures Ian, thanks.

Looks to me like 3200 ISO is very usable and 6400 and 12800 ISO would be usable for the net or medium prints. quite impressive.

There is also a selection of images taken in mexico, if you pop over to Luminous Landscape.
They are also very impressive.

Bill

Alan Clogwyn
14th February 2011, 10:57 PM
Well I can't spot any poserisation in them, which is good, but there did seem to be more noise around in the sky than on my GH1 at base ISO.

How did it handle Ian, is the AF as good as the hype?

donaldghtan
15th February 2011, 04:44 AM
Thanks so much Alan.
It worked but a bit!
Yes, you were right because when I did what you suggested, the 'color adjust' on the display was a) totally 'left' position & b)totally 'up' position.
But after I have slided it back to the 'o' position the EVF improved. But then, how do one select the color of the surrounding masking instead of the 'blue' color? The slightly 'red' and 'blue' tint is still there!.

Thanks so much Alan, I may still need to go to the service dept.

Cheers and Regards
Donald.

Go back to the colour settings for the lcd, look at the rear LCD when doing this - they are all in the middle of the sliders yes? Don't change anything, stay on that screen - now look through the viewfinder - where are the sliders now?

donaldghtan
15th February 2011, 07:26 AM
Hi all,

Just tested the camera (GH2) again. Did what Alan suggested but to no avail.
The Electronic Viewfinder is defective. The red and blue hue dominates the evf but the LCD and playback is OK.
The display on the evf have 'blue' borders and what ever is supposed to be black or grey in the subject of shooting is also 'blue'. This is very disturbing.
This is a new camera I bought and by the looks of it, it got to be repaired. I am not going to be happy about because one just DO NOT repair a NEW camera!!!!
They should replace it with a brand new camera because it costs so much to buy it and I used it for only a week!

Let's see what goes tomorrow when I go back to the Customer Care Centre.

Thanks and regards.
Donald

Alan Clogwyn
15th February 2011, 11:46 AM
Hi all,

Just tested the camera (GH2) again. Did what Alan suggested but to no avail.
The Electronic Viewfinder is defective. The red and blue hue dominates the evf but the LCD and playback is OK.
The display on the evf have 'blue' borders and what ever is supposed to be black or grey in the subject of shooting is also 'blue'. This is very disturbing.
This is a new camera I bought and by the looks of it, it got to be repaired. I am not going to be happy about because one just DO NOT repair a NEW camera!!!!
They should replace it with a brand new camera because it costs so much to buy it and I used it for only a week!

Let's see what goes tomorrow when I go back to the Customer Care Centre.

Thanks and regards.
Donald

Best of luck with them, will be interesting to see how you get on, this is the first fault I've heard of with a G series camera so don't know what to expect from the service centre.

donaldghtan
18th February 2011, 10:48 AM
Done!
Thanks Panasonic.

My brand new Panasonic Lumix DMC GH2 did in fact had a faulty Electronic Viewfinder. A new viewfinder was replaced within one hour!

I also believe that by judging what they have said, it maybe the first in a GH2 let alone for the entire G series. The folks there have been very professional and courteous.

Ian
18th February 2011, 12:20 PM
Done!
Thanks Panasonic.

My brand new Panasonic Lumix DMC GH2 did in fact had a faulty Electronic Viewfinder. A new viewfinder was replaced within one hour!

I also believe that by judging what they have said, it maybe the first in a GH2 let alone for the entire G series. The folks there have been very professional and courteous.

Well done! Looks like the service in Malaysia has earned its accolades!

Ian

Byll
18th February 2011, 02:49 PM
Good info here

http://luminous-landscape.com

Bill

thestickman
18th February 2011, 09:14 PM
I'm sure Ian will give some full opinions - but the GH2 is definitely no slouch! I haven't tried it for birding etc, but have been out in low light and am very happy coming from an E-3.
The speed of the Panny 45mm Macro is amazing. It got reviewed as very slow on the GH1, but it is very fast on the GH2 - even from infinity to macro. It really puts the 50mm macro (Oly 4/3) to shame in that respect.

1948Kustom
6th March 2011, 03:54 PM
Just seen this post and am very interested in a GH2, esp as I own an EPL-1 twin lens kit, and now a micro4/3rds to M42 adapter plus a 28mm f2.8 vivitar lens, bought for under 30 !

So I'm keen to know what owners of the GH2 think about it and more importantly is it worth buying, to compliment my EPL-1.....however I do also own a C*n*n 400D and have been thinking about a 60D or now the 600D.

Any thoughts on my dilema ?

thestickman
7th March 2011, 09:30 AM
I would think about each cameras strengths. The GH2 is slightly bigger than the EPL-1, has no in-body IS, but other than that is IMO a better camera.
I haven't used the Canons, but there is the slight high ISO benefit. I would guess the 60D is a superior camera to all the others mentioned, but also larger.
I would happily stick with my GH2 over all the others, but it depends on your needs. Look at what style of shots you take most, and whether you really need compactness etc - then see which camera fits that best.

Ian
7th March 2011, 10:21 AM
I would think about each cameras strengths. The GH2 is slightly bigger than the EPL-1, has no in-body IS, but other than that is IMO a better camera.
I haven't used the Canons, but there is the slight high ISO benefit. I would guess the 60D is a superior camera to all the others mentioned, but also larger.
I would happily stick with my GH2 over all the others, but it depends on your needs. Look at what style of shots you take most, and whether you really need compactness etc - then see which camera fits that best.

Have you noticed the focus point wandering around all over the place - I suspect this is my nose pressing against the LCD! :)

Ian

thestickman
7th March 2011, 12:03 PM
Ha! Could be?! I haven't had it happen, but I did turn off the touch-to-shoot and touch-q-menu functions though. It would be nice to be able to set the sensitivity/lag of the eye detector - so you can bring it away from the eye for say 2 secs to check a control location then return without the viewfinder having to turn back on.

It's nice being able to use the menu/playback etc in the viewfinder - I find I use that much more than I would have guessed.

I've let a couple of friends use it and they have all found it very intuitive - especially those with less SLR camera experience.

One small "annoyance" - the 20mm Pancake cannot CAF, even slowly. It says it plainly enough in the specs, but the camera says SWITCH TO SAF if you try, which doesn't give enough info and could be confusing to those who don't read manuals..

Alan Clogwyn
7th March 2011, 12:45 PM
CAF is useless on the GH series anyway, doesn't know what it's focussed on half the time then suddenly shifts focus, on a 14-45mm it gives you a bit of a falling sensation due to the perspective change! *LOL

As for focus point moving, have you got it on that weird AF setting where the focus area is marked by a square and a cross hair? that jumps about all ove rth place, haven't worked out how I'm supposed to lock it to a subject yet!

Single point AF set to the left third works pretty well for me! (Porbbaly because I shoot in Portrait orientation a lot)

Greyhair
7th March 2011, 06:54 PM
Hi
I have a GH2 and have the same wandering focus point. I also suspect my nose of being implicated! If it's not where I want it, I touch the white focus point indicator on the lcd and turn it to a yellow sizeable/moveable square. This can be dragged about on the lcd with a finger or using the viewfinder to the eye, with the rear 4 way pad. A half press of the shutter button then resets it to being the white indicator. I've turned most of the touchscreen stuff off but it still does it. Now I know how to correct it though, it doesn't bother me. All in all though I'm mightily impressed with the quality of the camera and the results from the 14-140. I could stand the body and grip being larger though, some buttons are too close together. I think there's too much assumption that everyone want to carry their camera in a trouser pocket. There's room for a reasonable sized body, still lighter and smaller than most dslrs but useable to people like me, who find the E3 comfortable. Hope Oly will oblige.

thestickman
8th March 2011, 09:24 AM
One thing I learnt when skimming the manual (for a change), was that hitting the Trash/DoF Preview button will re-centre the focus point.
So just tap the screen so the focus area is yellow and "active" then hit Trash and it will centre it for you - particularly useful when trying to centre it at it's smallest size.

@Greyhair - I completely agree that there should be a larger body coming. I suppose it might be the Panasonic first as Oly may want to protect the E-5 from cannibalisation. But whoever - hopefully it won't take them too long :)