PDA

View Full Version : first impressions GH2 vs GH1

mike kobal
28th December 2010, 04:13 AM
hi guys,
the video-direct link below
http://www.mikekobal.com/blog/?p=1123
got the Gh2 towards the end of this shoot, shot everything at 720/60p, at that setting, the footage looks pretty much the same, from both cameras. (GH1 was not hacked). My first impressions of the Gh2 during this shoot: The high resolution viewfinder is a dream to use, the higher refresh rate is also very nice, af is a lot faster, being able to connect an external monitor and using it during recording is also great! Overall, its a big improvement over its predecessor. The control button layout changed which made it frustrating going back and forth between the two cams, and the batteries are not compatible. Another thing I noticed, the white balance presets on the GH2 are totally off, I am going to wait on the final verdict on that until I receive my second GH2, but it looks like Panasonic tuned the wb towards brown/yellow. The AWB works fine and everything is as it should be using K settings (2.5k -10k), but forget the daylight, cloudy, shade and tungsten presets, they are way off.
cheers,
Mike

hschnee
28th December 2010, 02:04 PM
Thank you for your impressions of the GH-2. What lenses has you used with it? Can you comment on AF speed with any (non-micro) 4/3 lenses? I'm especially interested in knowing how well the GH-2 works with SWD lenses.

- Hal -

mike kobal
28th December 2010, 02:12 PM
Hal, used the 20mm 1.7 and 14 140mm, esp on the 20mm the improvement is quite noticeable- other than that only mf lenses

Alan Clogwyn
28th December 2010, 03:05 PM
Can't comment video wise, but the white balance is no good on GH1 either, so no change there! Very budget nikonesque white balance.

AF is supposed to be greatly improved - Must be a dream on the Panasonic lenses which are alrady silent and pretty quick on a GH1.