PDA

View Full Version : the FourThirds alive petition

davdenic
7th November 2010, 10:29 AM
the FourThirds alive petition is here:

http://www.photocommunity.qtp.it/petition/petition200.jpg

you can subscribe the petition that we are going to submit to Olympus Co. with the aim to ask to go on with the production of new four-thirds equipments.

http://www.photocommunity.qtp.it/petition/index.php

best regards
david

fluffy
7th November 2010, 05:45 PM
the FourThirds alive petition is here:

http://www.photocommunity.qtp.it/petition/petition200.jpg

you can subscribe the petition that we are going to submit to Olympus Co. with the aim to ask to go on with the production of new four-thirds equipments.

http://www.photocommunity.qtp.it/petition/index.php

best regards
david

I signed but the page to which I was directed to "comple" the signing came up with a mySql error.

Ians Tata
7th November 2010, 06:56 PM
Worked OK for me.

Jeff

John Perriment
7th November 2010, 08:25 PM
I've already signed, a couple of days ago. :D

ReggieB
8th November 2010, 02:41 AM
I understand and appreciate the effort, but the only thing that will keep alive or kill a system is sales. You really want it to survive? Buy an E-5 and pick up some SHG and HG glass. I have seen this before when customers really like some product (go see how many people signed a petition for SEGA to make a game called Shenmue III, most people who played the first two wanted to see the next get made, but all the signatures in the world didn't change the fact that SEGA had lost money). I would imagine that Oly has been wishy washy about the future of the system because they are waiting to see how the sales of the E-5 pan out.

billynxn
26th January 2011, 04:57 PM
Does this mean that there will no longer be fourthirds cameras? ? ?

I only ask as i want ot upgrade but not going to if it's going to become obselete?

Will still sign it though

Cheers

Ross
28th January 2011, 10:02 AM
Does this mean that there will no longer be fourthirds cameras? ? ?

I only ask as i want ot upgrade but not going to if it's going to become obselete?

Will still sign it though

Cheers

I suggest you read the comment by ReggieB above.

billynxn
29th January 2011, 09:08 PM
I suggest you read the comment by ReggieB above.

I did and that's why i asked. The nikon D7000 is £400 cheaper than the E-5 so if we have to vote with our wallets . . . . . :\

ReggieB
29th January 2011, 09:41 PM
I did and that's why i asked. The nikon D7000 is £400 cheaper than the E-5 so if we have to vote with our wallets . . . . . :\

It's a tough call, you have to decide which camera you like, and decide if you are willing to take the "risk" of not having a concrete upgrade path. There just isn't one right now. Everyone who has the body loves it, but I haven't been convinced that it's a large enough upgrade over my E-3 to warrant my purchasing it. If I was buying in to a new system, the E-5 would be a tough pill to swallow, but there are advantages.

The E-5 makes the D7000 feel like a toy, it's better made, more durable, etc. You will know this the moment you have handled each of them. Zuiko lenses are great, and at the high end, they are cheaper than the Nikon counterparts (also smaller and lighter). So you sort of have to decide where and how you are planning to shoot, how much money you have to spend, and go from there. Wish there was more we could tell you, but there isn't really much more to be said.

Ross
29th January 2011, 11:49 PM

And I will just reinforce ReggieB's comment about the lenses & the also the quality of the E5 body (ruggedness etc demands a higher price). If you add up the total cost of what you want with suitable lenses, then things might look a little different. At the moment you are using kit lenses which are good & the 70-300 lens also being very versatile but if you were using the next level lenses, you would definately benefit from the E5. You would still find it a fantastic upgrade with the lenses you have with the body outdoing those lenses (then you might be wanting to spend more on lenses) with higher ISO capability & a stack more features, but it all depends on what you want in a camera outfit.

RobBnTX
19th May 2011, 09:26 PM
It seems Oly has decided to abandon the entry level DSLR market, read, http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/10/olympus-the-dslr-is-dead/

Robert

fluffy
19th May 2011, 10:53 PM
Robert, you quoted a report published last October about an interview that occurred last summer or so. That was a very long time in camera generations and design, even for Oly. And quoted was, "We do not have concrete plans to replace the E-620 and other recent SLRs.” That is classic corporate evasiveness. It certainly does not mean they are not going to do something. Now as it happens there is much more recent news, as reported in many places, including this forum. It really looks like the E-XXX line is dead, but maybe not so much the E-XX line and even less the E-X line. But being a good corporation, none of anything that has been said is final.

Ned
19th May 2011, 11:44 PM
lol... Don't you love how that article was titled, "Olympus: The DSLR is Dead", yet within the article they clearly state that Terada says Olympus will continue to support the higher-end SLR market.

And I wonder how these rumors start.... *headsmack*

RobBnTX
20th May 2011, 12:24 AM
Notice too that I was referring to "entry level" DSLRs, and I quote from the article,

Olympus SLR boss Toshiyuki Terada has said that the company will make no more entry-level SLRs. Speaking in an interview, Terada said that “We do not have concrete plans to replace the E-620 and other recent SLRs.”

But don’t worry, Olympus isn’t about to dump the SLR category altogether – yet. While Terada says that “the entry level SLR class can be completely replaced by the Pen system in terms of performance,” the company will continue to support the higher-end SLR market for the immediate future.

Currently it seems as if the E-5 is the only DSLR being marketed by OLY. I personally, and I mean personally, do not like compact cameras with small sensors, I think Oly is really missing the boat by betting all the chips on the PEN series, sorry.

Robert

Ned
20th May 2011, 12:33 AM
Notice too that I was referring to "entry level" DSLRs, and I quote from the article,

Currently it seems as if the E-5 is the only DSLR being marketed by OLY. I personally, and I mean personally, do not like compact cameras with small sensors, I think Oly is really missing the boat by betting all the chips on the PEN series, sorry.

Robert

First... the E-5 has the same sensor size as all the PENs.
Second... The E-5 is the only DSLR in full production, but is far from the only DSLR being marketed by Olympus. The E-30 and E-620 get just as much mention and exposure as the E-5.
Third... if you don't like small cameras then why are you worried about Olympus dropping small, entry-level DSLRs like the E-620? The whole point of those cameras was the miniaturization of DSLRs. Olympus sees that those using DSLRs are those who want a substantial body in their hands, thus their support of pro bodies like the E-5.

Ross
20th May 2011, 12:41 AM

Robert

Then you have not listened to everything that has been said. Olympus is not betting all the chips on the PEN series as they are continuing the Exx series (as well as the Ex series) with a new model likely in the not too distant future because they are saying the PEN series is not capable of doing what the high end DSLR's can do & at some point of time in the future, mirrorless cameras may reach that point of equality but not yet (& the other brands will be doing it too). At the moment they are bringing needed lenses & bodies for micro 4/3's to keep up with the market share in that line. They can't stop with what they have to date but to increase the range & specs. Please don't bring doom & gloom hearsay here because it's the sort of thing that feeds the negative rumours that Canikony love to hear about their competition. That would be typical of a troll.

PS I've noticed you have only made 10 posts so far. What is your motivation to be on this forum & what do you hope to get out of it (or put into it)?

RobBnTX
20th May 2011, 12:52 AM
First of all who said I was "worried"??

If you go to B&H's site the only OLY DSLR they are offering for sale is the E-5 and local camera shops here in my area that were selling E-30s and E-620s now are only stocking PENs in the OLY line. I was just posting what I see as current in the market and what my personal preferences are. I don't think the PEN is for me, that is all.

As much as I use to love OLY, I do not think I will be investing in their products going forward but that is just me.

Ned
20th May 2011, 01:44 AM
I was just posting what I see as current in the market and what my personal preferences are. I don't think the PEN is for me, that is all.

As much as I use to love OLY, I do not think I will be investing in their products going forward but that is just me.

So the PEN isn't for you, and neither is the high-end DSLR (like the E-5 or E-30)... what kind of camera exactly are you looking for? You obviously have some personal preference which isn't met by Olympus, which I assume is related to your comments about Olympus dropping entry-level DSLRs (which is really the only body type that Olympus is no longer offering at the moment or in the forseeable future). If the entry-level DSLR is the only camera that's right for you, then Olympus probably isn't for you. The Entry-Level DSLR certainly is not for me, and I'm very happy with what Olympus does offer (pro DSLR bodies and high-quality Compact System Cameras). Both of these formats are very important to my work as a professional photographer. I don't hear people going on Leica forums and bitching that Leica only makes rangefinders and they don't make DSLRs, so they will never buy another Leica product because Leica is not offering the type of camera that's for them.

John Perriment
20th May 2011, 01:59 AM
First of all who said I was "worried"??

If you go to B&H's site the only OLY DSLR they are offering for sale is the E-5 and local camera shops here in my area that were selling E-30s and E-620s now are only stocking PENs in the OLY line. I was just posting what I see as current in the market and what my personal preferences are. I don't think the PEN is for me, that is all.

Hi Rob, it's OK not to like the Pens, they're not to everyone's taste. I guess you find it's time to move on from your E-520 and Olypus are not currently making anything in that line, so I can appreciate your position. Olympus always play their cards very close to their chests, so what the future really holds is mostly speculation based on a few carefully made statements by the company.

I think we have to accept that the E-xxx range will no longer be produced. At the other end of the scale we have the recent E-5 which is going very strong and, with the success Olympus are having with it, there is every possibility (indeed, it's "probable") that we will have at least one more update in this line.

The fate of the E-xx line is less certain, Olympus have recently dropped vague hints that another in the line is possible but there is very little concrete information to go on. My guess, and it is only a guess, is that having produced the E-5 Oly are now focusing on the next range of Pens, certainly a high end model. If they can overcome all the issues of mirrorless cameras not performing as well as DSLRs for certain applications, then I think we can forget about an E-50 or whatever.

However, I think Olympus are still some way off resolving those issues and once the new Pen(s) has/have been bedded in it will once again be the turn of the DSLR department. It probably won't happen until next year, but I won't be surprised to see an E-50, maybe with a 16mp sensor, leapfrogging (in terms of pure spec) the E-5 in much the same way as the E-30 jumped ahead of the E-3. Olympus will want such a camera to fine tune the new sensor through experience before they put it in the E-7, or whatever the next E-x may be designated, in much the same way as they used the E-30 to fine tune an at the time new sensor for eventual use in the E-5.

Some day much further down the line I can see Olympus achieving their development goals for the mirrorless cameras. At that point all DSLR production will cease and we will get a larger bodied "pro" featured camera along the lines of a DSLR but, of course, without the mirror and optical finder. It may or may not be designted a Pen.

I await that day with excitement and anticipation rather than doom and gloom but I accept that we will lose some along the way.

RobBnTX
20th May 2011, 02:14 AM
Doom and gloom? That was not my intent, sorry if I have offended anyone, I thought I was just contributing to the thread in so much that I was linking an online article stating that OLY was no longer marketing entry level DSLRs and that they were betting their chips on the PEN line which may or may not be a good thing, depending on your point of view, that is all.

I do think OLY may be on to something in so much as why does it make sense to continue to design digital cameras around a film camera type body with a mirror. If they could market a camera like the PEN that fits the hands of somebody besides a petite teenage girl and with a sensor that could compare with APS or even FF then I would be overjoyed (!) and that is just my two cents worth. If you like the PEN then more power to you, it is just not something I want to invest in at this time. I am interested though in how they may expand this line in the future, who knows, it may evolve into something that would interest me ultimately, and I even hope they do as I hate to think that at the end of the day the only real worth to invest in will be Canon and Nikon products.

I am exiting this conversation as it seems that far too much is being read into my posts and for that I apologize as that is probably my fault for not being more careful how I worded my initial post in this thread.

Time to go on to more fruitful conversations elsewhere. Bye.

Edit, I posted this before I read your reply John, thanks for the input!

fluffy
20th May 2011, 02:23 AM
I mean personally, do not like compact cameras with small sensors

Just curious. Do you think the sensor size of the PENs is smaller than that of the E-5? Physical size.

Ned
20th May 2011, 02:50 AM
Just curious. Do you think the sensor size of the PENs is smaller than that of the E-5? Physical size.

And keeping that in mind, it's no wonder he thinks that the PEN sensor (which is the same as the E-5, of course) can't even compare with an APS-C sensor (quote below):

If they could market a camera like the PEN that fits the hands of somebody besides a petite teenage girl and with a sensor that could compare with APS or even FF then I would be overjoyed (!)

The recent generation of Four-Thirds and Micro Four-Thirds bodies like the E-5 and the E-PL2 easily blow away the majority of APS-C bodies in many ways. The only APS-C sized sensor that really seems to stand on higher ground than the best Four-Thirds imaging systems (like the Panasonic GH2, Olympus E-5, and Olympus E-PL2) is that in the Pentax K7. Interestingly enough, Pentax is just as committed to the smaller sized sensor (in their case, APS-C) and rugged body construction as Olympus is. These companies work to perfect their systems to maximize their performance and compete with the "larger sensor", without simply embracing the inherent disadvantages of a larger sensor system. Panasonic and Pentax work hard on sensor development, while Olympus seems to be engineering the system surrounding the sensor better (ie, weak AA filter with more advanced image processor).

A Four-Thirds sensor can't compare with an APS-C? I'd like to see any Canon 7D or Nikon D300 (top of the line for APS-C) go up against an Olympus E-5 (top of the line for Four-Thirds) with quality glass. Of course the E-5 more than compares, and does it a lot cheaper too. ;)

Ross
20th May 2011, 04:05 AM
Doom and gloom? That was not my intent, sorry if I have offended anyone, I thought I was just contributing to the thread in so much that I was linking an online article stating that OLY was no longer marketing entry level DSLRs and that they were betting their chips on the PEN line which may or may not be a good thing, depending on your point of view, that is all.

I do think OLY may be on to something in so much as why does it make sense to continue to design digital cameras around a film camera type body with a mirror. If they could market a camera like the PEN that fits the hands of somebody besides a petite teenage girl and with a sensor that could compare with APS or even FF then I would be overjoyed (!) and that is just my two cents worth. If you like the PEN then more power to you, it is just not something I want to invest in at this time. I am interested though in how they may expand this line in the future, who knows, it may evolve into something that would interest me ultimately, and I even hope they do as I hate to think that at the end of the day the only real worth to invest in will be Canon and Nikon products.

I am exiting this conversation as it seems that far too much is being read into my posts and for that I apologize as that is probably my fault for not being more careful how I worded my initial post in this thread.

Time to go on to more fruitful conversations elsewhere. Bye.

Edit, I posted this before I read your reply John, thanks for the input!

Sorry for coming down heavy as I get a little agitated when I hear criticism of the Oly brand from others that go by theories written by others about the theories of others based on technical specs that do not consider the real output & use of the camera. Also I didn't check that this was a resurrected thread from January & thought I was in this one (http://www.fourthirds-user.com/forum/showthread.php?p=72103#post72103) instead, where another new member was also putting a damper on buying more 4/3's glass. Don't give up on Olympus, but if they can't serve your needs, by all means, buy something else that suits you.

lizziebea
20th May 2011, 05:33 PM
I love my Olympus and am about to invest in yet another camera. My only reservation is the noise, but I'm not changing all those wonderful lenses just for that.

I do wish I knew where Olympus is going though. I don't mind not seeing through the lens by way of the mirror, but by some other means, but what I could not stand is to only view the material by an LCD. I have to have some sort of EVF.

I have recently taken to using the live view swivvely thing (wonderful) for landscapes, but that is no use at all when you are shooting moving and unpredictable wildlife.
Liz

I recently got a friend starting photography who had a PEN and was surprised how poor it is compared to the E3. I suppose you get used to all the features.

Ned
20th May 2011, 05:42 PM
I love my Olympus and am about to invest in yet another camera. My only reservation is the noise, but I'm not changing all those wonderful lenses just for that.
I do wish I knew where Olympus is going though. I don't mind not seeing through the lens by way of the mirror, but by some other means, but what I could not stand is to only view the material by an LCD. I have to have some sort of EVF.
I have recently taken to using the live view swivvely thing (wonderful) for landscapes, but that is no use at all when you are shooting moving and unpredictable wildlife.
Liz

Hi Lizzie,

Which camera are you currently using now? All current Olympus and Panasonic Micro Four-Thirds camera bodies do include an EVF. With both the Olympus PEN and the Panasonic GF-series, the EVF is an optional accessory that plugs into the hotshoe, but with the larger Panasonics like the G-series and GH-series, they are built-in like an SLR.

I personally like the accessory EVFs better, as they are 90º vari-finders that you can view from any angle. However, they disable use of flash through the hotshoe, so you can only use flash by using the pop-up to trigger optical slaves (this can't be done on the Olympus E-P2, though).

The EVF is not as good in some low-light situations for manually focusing as a good optical pentaprism viewfinder, but in many situations they are about as good or sometimes better. The view is very large and bright, and has the advantage of showing proper exposure and color balance, not just focus and composition. It also allows Manual Focus Assist to zoom in for fine focus.

Ned
20th May 2011, 05:50 PM
I recently got a friend starting photography who had a PEN and was surprised how poor it is compared to the E3. I suppose you get used to all the features.

The E-3 is a wonderful body, built tough and designed perfect. I can work so much more efficiently with the E-3 than I can with practically any other body I've tried, which is why I love handling it so much.

The E-5 (to talk on more equal terms, rather than talking about the older E-3) however, is a full $1100 more expensive than the new E-PL2 PEN while offering similar image quality and functions. It's also many times the size and weight of the E-PL2, but it has full weather sealing and an incredible optical viewfinder. It also has a hefty grip for large lenses, faster Auto-Focus, dedicated PC socket, and the thumb-finger dials which makes the camera so quick and efficient to use in the field, adjusting settings on the fly.

So certainly the E-5 has its place in the world, particularly for a fast-paced working photographer. This is why Olympus is keeping a pro-DSLR line along with the Compact System Camera line of PENs.

I'm an E-3 user myself, but have recently started doing all of my work with the PEN series from the E-P1 and now to the E-PL2. It took some getting used to when first going from the E-3 to the original E-P1 PEN, but after I got used to it I found I didn't really miss the E-3 much at all. The PEN goes everywhere with me, and when I got the E-PL2 it was already the most comfortable thing for me (which saves me $1100 on getting E-5 like image quality, lol!). ;)

Honestly, one of the things I love best about the route Olympus is going with the PEN series is the affordable price point. Consumers looking to upgrade from the point-and-shoots are sometimes daunted by the price of a Micro Four-Thirds systems, but for us professional photographers it's amazing what we can get now for so little. If something goes wrong with our equipment, $600 can get you an incredibly capable body with strong image quality, compatibility with all your professional lighting and lenses, and even the capability to produce pro-level video (interchangeable lenses, manual control, external microphone, hotshoe light, etc.). Being stuck with a couple thousand dollars bill because something happened to your pro DSLR body is really not a pretty situation to be in.

billynxn
23rd May 2011, 10:07 PM
I would just like to appololgise for this post before i start as i'm still new to photography but;
Am i right in thinking that Olympus are not accomodating the novice photographer who wants to move up from the E-xxx system. Either buy a E-5 (which is not cheaper than the Nikon D300 or Canon 7D) or the Pen.

I'm not putting a downer on Olympus as i love my E-510 but i don't have vast amount's of cash to throw around on lenses and i realise i'm completely out of my depth when it comes to the technical aspect of the thread but all i want to know is that if i spend £1500 on a camera and another £1500 on a lens (which there is no doubt oly have the best) that the company will then decide to stop making camera's to fit it.

You would be really cheesed off if you had just bought the best petrol car in the world only to be told that they were only going to make deisel ones from now. Is this any different? ? ?

I know there are die hard oly fans which should be applauded that are going to shoot me down as they have to everyone else daring to have a pop at oly for not being more open and i respect them for it but facts are facts unfortunatley.

Ned
23rd May 2011, 10:22 PM
I would just like to appololgise for this post before i start as i'm still new to photography but;
Am i right in thinking that Olympus are not accomodating the novice photographer who wants to move up from the E-xxx system. Either buy a E-5 (which is not cheaper than the Nikon D300 or Canon 7D) or the Pen.

I'm not putting a downer on Olympus as i love my E-510 but i don't have vast amount's of cash to throw around on lenses and i realise i'm completely out of my depth when it comes to the technical aspect of the thread but all i want to know is that if i spend £1500 on a camera and another £1500 on a lens (which there is no doubt oly have the best) that the company will then decide to stop making camera's to fit it.

You would be really cheesed off if you had just bought the best petrol car in the world only to be told that they were only going to make deisel ones from now. Is this any different? ? ?

I know there are die hard oly fans which should be applauded that are going to shoot me down as they have to everyone else daring to have a pop at oly for not being more open and i respect them for it but facts are facts unfortunatley.

No, there is still an intermediate line between the PEN and the top-pro E-x series. Currently, that line includes the E-30. It has the same functionality and design of the E-3/5 (it sits in between these two because of release date and the advances in technology that come over time), but in a more affordable, non-weather sealed body. You're right, not everyone can afford to "go pro", but nobody has said they have to.

The ONLY line that Olympus has said they are dropping is the E-xxx line, which includes (most current bodies) the E-620, E-520, and E-420. These are all low-grade, entry-level DSLR bodies like the Canon Rebel. The PEN cameras can outperform them in most levels. The EVF is in many ways better than the cheap penta-mirror OVF on entry-level DSLRs, and the focus speed is comparable. Only the higher grade DSLRs with crystal pentaprisms and advanced PDAF sensors show a definite improvement over the Micro Four-Thirds system.

Ross
23rd May 2011, 10:43 PM
No, there is still an intermediate line between the PEN and the top-pro E-x series. Currently, that line includes the E-30. It has the same functionality and design of the E-3/5 (it sits in between these two because of release date and the advances in technology that come over time), but in a more affordable, non-weather sealed body. You're right, not everyone can afford to "go pro", but nobody has said they have to.

The ONLY line that Olympus has said they are dropping is the E-xxx line, which includes (most current bodies) the E-620, E-520, and E-420. These are all low-grade, entry-level DSLR bodies like the Canon Rebel. The PEN cameras can outperform them in most levels. The EVF is in many ways better than the cheap penta-mirror OVF on entry-level DSLRs, and the focus speed is comparable. Only the higher grade DSLRs with crystal pentaprisms and advanced PDAF sensors show a definite improvement over the Micro Four-Thirds system.

As I have said elsewhere, head of Olympus Imaging (as corrected by Ian), Akira Watanabe has indicated the Exx line will continue & from that there should be a replacement model at some time in the future.

fluffy
23rd May 2011, 11:00 PM
Depending on what you see as why you photograph, the 510 is still an excellent camera. No, it doesn't do video and is not state of the art, but for many photographers it is perfectly fine, and probably still takes better pictures with its rather fine kit lenses than the various basic Canons and Nikons with their kit levels. Why do you want to upgrade? And if you really want to upgrade the E-PL2 or the several Panasonics are superb cameras for not a whole of money. Plus they can use all your Oly glass and just about every other still camera lens (some of which are amazing values these days).

Ned
23rd May 2011, 11:00 PM
As I have said elsewhere, head of Olympus Imaging (as corrected by Ian), Akira Watanabe has indicated the Exx line will continue & from that there should be a replacement model at some time in the future.
Yeah, there was a time when he had said the entry-level line would be discontinued and the pro line would definitely carry on. No mention was given at that time of the intermediate E-xx line (unless he was lumping it in with "pro"), so people jumped the gun and started rumors about the E-xx line disappearing. I've never heard anybody from Olympus mention that line being cut off, but now they've given pretty definite answers that it will continue on.

Paul
24th May 2011, 06:00 AM
No, there is still an intermediate line between the PEN and the top-pro E-x series. Currently, that line includes the E-30.

Ned that is news to me as I thought they had stopped production of the E-30 and the only ones that are left are those that are still in dealers stock.

At least in the UK the Olympus shop no longer carries the E-system line (and I'm not talking about the web site where the E-1 was still listed until last year), hell until a few months ago they were selling just the E-5 at the Olympus shop now that has dissapeared.

http://shop.olympus.co.uk/e_commerce/Cameras-c-20.htm

Way to go Olympus in the marketing department for the E-system, it's a shame they do not market it and support it as well as you do Ned.:)

I'm a dyed in wool Olympus user and will be with them to the end, I just do not wear the rose tinted glasses that some evangelists do. ;)

Ned
24th May 2011, 06:11 AM
Ned that is news to me as I thought they had stopped production of the E-30 and the only ones that are left are those that are still in dealers stock.

Olympus seems to discontinue production on models even before they replace them, for some reason. The E-3 was also discontinued well before the E-5 was released. That didn't stop the E-5 from coming. ;)

The E-30 still shows up in the marketed Olympus lineup, even if there aren't new bodies being manufactured. They probably figure it'll take at least until the new model comes out before they finish selling off existing stock, lol. With all the hot new models out since the E-30, I'm sure they're right. Just because a single model has been discontinued or is out of production, it doesn't mean that model's line has ended.

John Perriment
24th May 2011, 08:08 AM
This, I'm afraid, is typical Olympus confusion. As a long term user I can say that at first it's very disconcerting but after a while you get used to it. Olympus have made so many veiled hints and deliberately ambiguous statements of intent that no wonder there is widespread misunderstanding.

From what I've read this is the basic state of play.

1) The E-xxx line has been discontinued and there is no intention of producing further models in this range. Rightly or wrongly, the existing Pens are considered by Olympus to be adequate alternatives.

2) The E-30 is no longer in production and hasn't been for some months. No firm decision (at least not a publically announced one) has been taken on permanently discontinuing this line and hints have been made that there might be a prospect of a future model.

3) The E-x continues and will be actively supported and developed by Olympus until such time as mirrorless technology has developed and improved sufficiently to superceed it.

4) Olympus will always support the SHG lens line-up with a suitable body. They do not consider that mirrorless technology is sufficiently advanced at this stage to do that. Amongst all the hints, rumours and half-truths this is the only clear and unequivocal statement from the company.

I think we must accept that it is only a matter of time until all Olympus cameras are mirrorless. However, that does not mean in the size and form of the existing Pens and certainly not with the existing performance constraints.

An E-50 may or may not come, depending on how quickly Olympus can improve the performance of their MFT models. In my opinion this could go either way. If Olympus are not yet ready to substantially improve the performance and function of their flagship MFT models we may see an E-50 next spring. But we may yet be surprised this summer or autumn by a Pen with built in EVF, articulated LCD, faster focusing and higher frame rate. In other words, a mirrorless E-30. This would almost certainly be the end of the E-xx range.

In either case I would expect it to feature the Panasonic 16mp sensor. I would be surprised if Olympus were not currently working on and refining a processor for this sensor - it might already be up and running.

The E-x range really takes us into more long term strategy. I'm sure Olympus are already acutely aware that they're walking a tightrope of credibility and I have confidence (but nothing more than that) that they will support this line until a mirrorless option that is genuinely at least as good becomes viable. That may take two years or it might take ten. I would not be surprised to see at least one more E-x model but that's all in the future; there's still a lot of life and years in the E-5.

sofajockey
24th May 2011, 06:48 PM
I've been reading this thread in hopes to find some good news for non-professionals like myself, who invested in the e-xxx line (in my case the e-510). Unfortunately from what I've been reading, Olympus isn't interested in my market anymore so I have to start exploring options from the big 2. Its a shame because I really like my e-510 (and I'll continue to use it) but I simply cannot invest anymore into upgrading in the four-thirds world when its obviously a dying breed. Why would I upgrade to the e-5 when the future is so murky? In fact, at the time of this post B&H doesn't have an e-5 in stock. This unsustainable model just doesn't work for a non-professional on a budget like myself. It just kills me that I've spent so much money on extra batteries/cards/grips/flashes/lenses -- most of which have zero trade-in value. I have to admit that I knew this day would come when I did my initial research into DSLRs. The writing was on the wall when I first bought my camera and I refused to read it.

My only remaining concern is with my lenses. Are there four-thirds to Nikon or Canon adapters out there that anybody recommends? I love my lenses, even the kit lenses, and finding a way to continue to use them when I upgrade will be a major deciding factor on what brand I choose. I just hope its possible - but my hopes aren't too high. Please excuse my lack of technical expertise. I've tried searching for answers but its hard to find reliable four-thirds information anywhere but right here. I've learned a lot from the great photographers on this board over the years - thank you all very much for sharing your tips and knowledge.

Dan in NC
24th May 2011, 07:04 PM
I have not posted in a while, but I was in a similar situation to you. I have an E-520 and an assortment of HG lenses and accessories. After much consideration and having looked into switching to Nikon, I decided to purchase a refurbished E-3 for less than $800. I have had the camera for a few months now, and I am very pleased. It is definitely an upgrade from the E-520, more so than I was expecting.

Alternatively, refurbished E-30 cameras are less expensive than the E-3. I chose the E-3 for the viewfinder and weather sealing. The E-30 offers the advantages of a 12 MP sensor (the E-3 sensor is 10 MP) and fine tuning of the autofocus for individual lenses.

You will not be able to use your existing 4/3rds lenses on other Canon or Nikon DSLRs, but you can use them on micro4/34rds cameras with an adaptor. Others will be able to better guide you about how well these lenses work on m4/3rds cameras. I don't have any experience with that combination.

Ned
24th May 2011, 08:13 PM
I used to have an E-510, and I can tell you that either the E-P2 or E-PL2 are a significant upgrade from that camera in every way. I loved my E-510, too. Along with the E-3, the E-510 was my favorite camera of the time and I still consider them classics. If you've used an E-P2 or E-PL2 with VF-2 viewfinder though, I see little reason why you would want to hang on for an E-510 upgrade. Now an E-5, that's a real upgrade in every way.

As Dan says though, Four-Thirds and Micro Four-Thirds bodies are the ones which are adaptable to other brands - it doesn't work the other way around. Canon and Nikon bodies can't be adapted to Four-Thirds lenses, as far as I know, but you can adapt your Canon and Nikon lenses to Four-Thirds and Micro Four-Thirds bodies. Adaptability was one of the tenants of Four-Thirds.

John Perriment
24th May 2011, 08:50 PM
I can appreciate the frustration of E-xxx users who don't want an E-5 or a Pen, Olympus does seem to have left them high and dry. Pro users are still well served by the E-5 and even E-30 users have a glimmer of hope that there may eventually be an upgrade in the line, but I think we have to accept that the E-xxx line is almost certainly gone.