PDA

View Full Version : Focus annoyance E-P2 with (adapted 4/3) ZD lens

pdh
26th June 2010, 09:26 PM
I use an E-P2 with MMF-1 plus ZD 70-300mm.

This was always going to be a compromise combo, but it does give me the reach I want. I'm mostly happy with the compromises I have to make with it.

The recent firmware update improved the AF somewhat, but it is a slow focusing lens, especially at 300mm, at which end the AF accuracy is frankly rather poor. This is worse in poor light (though even in excellent light with a high-contrast subject it's completely missed the target sometimes)

BUT ... (and maybe I just need to read the manual properly, but I can't find it) ... when I use S-AF + MF mode, I can get myself a nice sharp image by allowing the AF to coarse-focus, then fine-tune it with the focus ring ... as soon as I hit the shutter release, the AF takes over & refocuses and I lose the image ... grr!

Hints, tips, pointers in the right direction (including manual pages, I'm not too proud to be told to RTFM) welcome

Ross
27th June 2010, 05:23 AM
I suggest using the switch on the lens. As soon as it is close to focus (AF) with the half press , switch it over & complete the focus manully.

Ross

pdh
27th June 2010, 06:35 AM
When something is right in front of my eyes (in this case, quite literally), it is embarrassing not to have seen it ...

Thanks very much, Ross

Ross
27th June 2010, 07:38 AM
Thats fine. It's a bit like when we can't see the forest for the trees.:D

Ross

OzGary
27th June 2010, 08:30 AM
Another option is to put the camera in manual focus (MF), then use the AEL/AFL button to do a single AF. To set this up, see Wrotniak's article http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e510-sett.html#LOCK. This articale is for E410/510 but works on all the others.

It looks pretty complex to begin with :\, but once mastered, makes for great flexibility....and also works with lenses that don't have AF/MF switch :).

Works identically on both my EPL-1 and my E-510.

pdh
27th June 2010, 08:51 AM
ah ... that's also a very helpful suggestions ... I had actually read that bit of the manual, but hadn't joined up the dots ... thanks

Ross
27th June 2010, 10:05 AM
Another option is to put the camera in manual focus (MF), then use the AEL/AFL button to do a single AF. To set this up, see Wrotniak's article http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e510-sett.html#LOCK. This articale is for E410/510 but works on all the others.

It looks pretty complex to begin with :\, but once mastered, makes for great flexibility....and also works with lenses that don't have AF/MF switch :).

Works identically on both my EPL-1 and my E-510.

Ah yes. Why didn't I think of that. That's how I have my E30 set up which, of course, was as suggested by Wrotniak.

Ross