PDA

View Full Version : How to use the 3 autofocus zone on e520

dugger13
11th February 2010, 07:11 PM
Hello
I just found this forum and also have just purchased a e-520. i am first time dslr user. my question is how do i use the 3 point auto-focus system. For instance: I line up a shot of my kid in middle of the screen. Her face is in the middle, but the left zone fires a red dot. Do i move her face to that red dot and take the picture? Do i refocus? I am using the kit lens (14-42 and 40-150). What if i want her off-centered. may seem basic, but thanks for the help.

Ians Tata
11th February 2010, 07:29 PM
The dot that fires is the spot that the camera focus on. Unless you are using a very shallow DOF, just take the photo as you aimed. If you want to make sure that what you want to be in focus, then switch the AF to the center dot only and position that dot over where you want the focus to be . Half press the shutter to focus and then reframe your photo and snap.
I don't know if they changed it with the e-520, but on the e-510 there is a button under the thumbwheel that has three dots in side of parentheses. (---). Pressing this button brings the AF focus points onto the info screen. Use the left or right direction arrow buttons around the OK button to select the single center point, click OK and then it will only use that point to locate focus.
Jeff

Ken Lister
11th February 2010, 07:46 PM
Hello
I just found this forum and also have just purchased a e-520. i am first time dslr user. my question is how do i use the 3 point auto-focus system. For instance: I line up a shot of my kid in middle of the screen. Her face is in the middle, but the left zone fires a red dot. Do i move her face to that red dot and take the picture? Do i refocus? I am using the kit lens (14-42 and 40-150). What if i want her off-centered. may seem basic, but thanks for the help.

Welcome to the forum.

If you have the autofocus set to 'auto' the camera will focus on whatever is easiest to focus on, regardless of the intended subject. You may also have the focus point accidentally set to left zone only.

The best way to focus on an off centre subject is to, leave the focus point always set to centre position, half press the shutter button to focus then recompose the shot before pressing the shutter release. If it is always set to centre only, you always know where the focus point will be. This works for me anyway. Hope this helps or have just confused you?

hschnee
11th February 2010, 09:49 PM
One small addendum to these replies: to keep the focus locked when you half-press the shutter and recompose, you need to have the autofocus set to single (S-AF). In continuous mode (C-AF), the camera will keep focusing on whatever is under the selected focus point. So if you move the focus point off your daughter in C-AF mode, the camera will focus on the background.

I use an E-410, which has the same focusing system as the E-520. S-AF using only the center AF point is my usual setup. Having the camera automatically select the focus point seems like a great idea, but in practice it can't know what you intend to focus on, so it often chooses the wrong point.

- Hal -

dugger13
11th February 2010, 10:23 PM
thanks
great advice