PDA

View Full Version : E-600

joachim
31st August 2009, 11:02 AM
Hi,

various US based servers report the release of the E-600 (a downspeced E-620). dcresource even reports the discontinuation of the E-420, E-450 and E-520. Is this US only info, which doesn't hold for Europe? Anyone knows?

FYI: Olympus did such things before with the E-400 which was Europe only.

Shaw
31st August 2009, 11:06 AM
Hi,

various US based servers report the release of the E-600 (a downspeced E-620). dcresource even reports the discontinuation of the E-420, E-450 and E-520. Is this US only info, which doesn't hold for Europe? Anyone knows?

some details here

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraDetail.php?cam=1438

Stewart

Shaw
31st August 2009, 11:09 AM
Hi,

and here

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=4094

Stewart

Archphoto
31st August 2009, 12:01 PM
No big anouncement of Olympus, no spotlights, no music, nothing.
Just "It is for sale starting....."

So a replacement for the E520 this year as I predicted.

New line-up to me: E450, E600, (E620), E30, E4.
Without the E620 it makes sense......

Peter

Ian
31st August 2009, 02:00 PM
This is the first I have heard of this - maybe it's a US-only product?

I usually get advance warning of new Olympus models, so I am quite surprised.

Ian

joachim
31st August 2009, 04:08 PM
This is the first I have heard of this - maybe it's a US-only product?

I usually get advance warning of new Olympus models, so I am quite surprised.

Ian

dpreview (UK based, despite trying to look as US as possible) and AP do not feature it either. Ian, a phone call/email to your Olympus contact might explain the situation, but I assume you are already on that ball.

In the end, I agree with Archphoto that this is nothing major. What I am waiting for from Olympus in regular four thirds, is the replace/upgrade of their line up (at least from E-620 up) with the TruePic V processor (the one which is in the E-P1). This will give movie mode (to me a very attractive bonus), better micro details and high ISO performance (both AA-filter related I understand).

With one single product release (E-P1) they made their entire remaining line up look "long in the tooth". Any idea when this update is starting?

Ian
31st August 2009, 05:20 PM
dpreview (UK based, despite trying to look as US as possible) and AP do not feature it either. Ian, a phone call/email to your Olympus contact might explain the situation, but I assume you are already on that ball.

In the end, I agree with Archphoto that this is nothing major. What I am waiting for from Olympus in regular four thirds, is the replace/upgrade of their line up (at least from E-620 up) with the TruePic V processor (the one which is in the E-P1). This will give movie mode (to me a very attractive bonus), better micro details and high ISO performance (both AA-filter related I understand).

With one single product release (E-P1) they made their entire remaining line up look "long in the tooth". Any idea when this update is starting?

As I said on e-group.uk.net, it's possibly a special version of the E-620 that will be offered as an exclusive, slightly cheaper and lower-spec., alternative to the actual E-620 by some large store chain, like Dixons/Currys here in the UK. My Olympus contact is not around today as it's a holiday here.

Ian

hschnee
31st August 2009, 05:49 PM
As I said on e-group.uk.net, it's possibly a special version of the E-620 that will be offered as an exclusive, slightly cheaper and lower-spec., alternative to the actual E-620 by some large store chain, like Dixons/Currys here in the UK. My Olympus contact is not around today as it's a holiday here.

Ian

This is the first scenario I've heard that makes any sense to me--an "exclusive" model for a discount store (like Costco or Sam's Club here in the U.S.) As an additional model in the regular lineup, I don't "get" the E-600 . . . leave out some software features and drop the price? It doesn't make any sense to sell that alongside the E-620. It would be more cost-effective to just lower the price of the 620 rather than develop and test a new model. But as an exclusive to a big chain store, I can see it.

- Hal -

Barr1e
31st August 2009, 06:22 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the news.

-------------------------------

Ian -

Anne and I are surprised there is not an Olympus stockist in the UK (so it would seem) who has an MMF-1 in stock. When making enquires with MT could you enquire as to when they are expecting them please.

Regards. Barr1e

Archphoto
31st August 2009, 08:21 PM
Ian -

Anne and I are surprised there is not an Olympus stockist in the UK (so it would seem) who has an MMF-1 in stock. When making enquires with MT could you enquire as to when they are expecting them please.

Regards. Barr1e

If you mean the OM adapter for 4/3: why not get a chipped adapter ?
It gives an "in-focus" signal in your viewfinder and is a lot cheaper than the Oly one without the chip.

Just a friendly thought well ment,

Peter

Barr1e
31st August 2009, 08:35 PM
Hi Peter -

Thanks for the thought.

We could go that route and there is the Panasonic we could have considered, however, Anne is collecting the twin kit and like me if you buy in to a brand you want all the same branded equipment.

Regards. Barr1e

Ian
31st August 2009, 10:16 PM
Hi Peter -

Thanks for the thought.

We could go that route and there is the Panasonic we could have considered, however, Anne is collecting the twin kit and like me if you buy in to a brand you want all the same branded equipment.

Regards. Barr1e

Barr1e - sorry if I'm out of date :D - have you bought an E-P1?

Ian

Barr1e
1st September 2009, 06:45 AM
Barr1e - sorry if I'm out of date :D - have you bought an E-P1?

Ian

:D T'is true, it has been on Anne's wish list since launch.

Regards. Barr1e

Ian
1st September 2009, 09:34 AM
OK - have had the low down. There is a low key introduction of the E-600 in to various countries, mainly via a single national chain retailer, as speculated yesterday. It's basically a feature-reduced E-620:

Main points when comparing the E-620 and E-600:

- same size and body
- colour of buttons differs from E-620
- 3 instead of 6 artfilters (Pop Art, Soft Focus, Pinhole)
- no illuminated buttons
- no alternative frame aspect ratio options
- no multiple-exposure function
- no facility to shoot via remote control

Ian

joachim
1st September 2009, 10:28 AM
OK - have had the low down. There is a low key introduction of the E-600 in to various countries, mainly via a single national chain retailer, as speculated yesterday. It's basically a feature-reduced E-620:

Main points when comparing the E-620 and E-600:

- same size and body
- colour of buttons differs from E-620
- 3 instead of 6 artfilters (Pop Art, Soft Focus, Pinhole)
- no illuminated buttons
- no alternative frame aspect ratio options
- no multiple-exposure function
- no facility to shoot via remote control

Ian

Thanks for figuring this. Any updates on the 420, 450 and 520 discontinuation as claimed on dcresource?