PDA

View Full Version : Camera Decision for a Friend

Ians Tata
14th July 2009, 08:14 PM
???Guys,
A young women who works with me at my new job, Fire Saftey Officer, at the state university here in Fredonia is looking to buy a DSLR. She is a senior at the college majoring in both biology and economnics (planning on graduate degrees in environmental economics) and working another job besides the "work-study"position with me. Actually she is teaching me my new job. Well anyway she is also an accomplished barrel racer, a rodeo competion. She would like to be able to take photos of other competitors riding the horses around the barrels but she would also like to be able to take wide angle shots of the arena. Her budget is somewhat limited to about $850, but deals can be found to get something that should work for her. With my limited knowledge, I offered to use my connection here to help her. If it is acceptable, I would relay any info and questions. It is kind of tough for someone without a camera (she does have a small point and shoot that she uses as well as possible) to enter a forum such as this to ask questions.
Jeff

TonyB
20th July 2009, 08:04 PM
Jeff, what type of light are we talking here? outdoors in sunlight or a lowlight arena?

Ians Tata
20th July 2009, 08:32 PM
Almost always outdoors, but I will check.
By the way, an e-620 with the 14-42 and the 40-150 just went for $22.28 on Swoopo 5 minutes ago. If this would be a good choice. she is primariky looking at Oly.
Jeff

TonyB
20th July 2009, 08:41 PM
If the light is decent then this would be a fine choice but I wouldn't pay any attention to sites like swoopo. They are just a con IMHO. The E-620 and kit lenses would definitely fit the bill.

Archphoto
20th July 2009, 09:21 PM
If it is mainly outdoors, you can look in the range of the E410/E420 kit or the E520 kit.
Price-wise an used E410 kit could fit the bill allso.

Peter

Ians Tata
20th July 2009, 09:46 PM
Yeah about the swoopo, but it's fun to watch. The same e-620 kit with two lenses goes for about $800 plus tax and shipping at BH. I was thinking of the need for the longer lens to get closer to the action, which I thought might be pushing the AF speed with the 4xx and 5xx. I know that would be pushing her budget though.
Jeff