PDA

View Full Version : Just released software for tether shooting with E-System cameras

rfman
8th February 2009, 08:40 AM
Hmm... I hope i don't run afoul with any "no-commercial" rules. Anyway, I love my E-3, and shooting it in tether mode is great. Except that I don't like Studio 2 that much, especially since all I use it for is the tether support.

Since I am a software developer, I just bought the SDK and knocked off a small program that does the job nice and fast. Works great with ACDSee and Lightroom. Here's the readme file. For more info, contact. The webpage will be up tomorrow. Program is here if you want to try it: http://www.imagecraft.com/pub/E-Capture-setup.exe

ImageCraft E-Capture
Copyright (C) 2009 ImageCraft Creations Inc.
web: http://www.imagecraft.com
email: richard@imagecraft.com
blog: http://rfman.wordpress.com

E-Capture is a program that performs a simple task: it captures images from an Olympus E-System camera tethered to the PC's USB port and saves the images to disk as fast as possible. It does not display images, nor does it have an image browser, leaving that job to an image browsing or cataloging program such as ACDSee, Bibble, Lightroom etc.

Since it is a very small program, it is much faster to use than Olympus Studio 2 for those who are only interested in the tether support of Studio 2. All E-System cameras are supported, from the original E-1 to the latest E-30.

Currently, E-Capture only saves the images to disk. In some future release, we may support direct export to Lightroom. Currently, if you are using Lightroom, you will need to set up Lightroom to auto-import images from
E-Capture's output directory.

The images are named as a sequence of 2 digits: yymmddhrmn for year, month, day, hour, minutes respectively, and if necessary, an additional 2 digit second value is added to make the file names unique. The file extension is .ORF for RAW files and .JPG for JPEG files.

To use E-capture, invoke the program. Then attach your E-System camera to the PC's USB port and turn on the camera. On the camera's control LCD, select "Control" and hit OK. The program will recognize your camera
automatically. If you attach another E-System camera when one is already under the program's control, you have the option to choose whether to switch control to the new camera. You may detach the camera at any time except during image downloading.

The program is protected, and will not save images after 15 days unless you purchase a license ($10). To purchase, go to http://www.imagecraft.com and click on the "Photo Software" button.

Once we process your order, we will send you the registration name and a license key. Enter the info to the Help->"Register Software" dialog box and click "License" to activate your license.

mike_j
8th February 2009, 09:30 AM
I have just downloaded this software and tried it. It seems to work correctly though the lack of feedback is a little disconcerting and you can't control the camera from the pc, just get autodownload which is useful in itself. I used Picasa to look at the pictures and they came up in about 10 seconds or so.

Might I suggest a couple minor changes? The capture directory should be retained once selected instead of having to reselect it from scratch each time.

It might also be nice if the blue progress bar showed download status then reverted to ready (white) between shots.

Overall, a useful little utility and I will try it a bit more, but very probably buy a copy. Thank you.

Archphoto
8th February 2009, 11:28 AM
A feature what I am after is a "Live view" when the camera is connected with the computer.

Peter

rfman
8th February 2009, 11:41 AM

Might I suggest a couple minor changes? The capture directory should be retained once selected instead of having to reselect it from scratch each time.

It might also be nice if the blue progress bar showed download status then reverted to ready (white) between shots.
... Thank you.

Thanks. The Capture Directory should be memorized. I will double check. Or do you mean something else? Ah, you must mean whenever someone does a File->CaptureDir.... I will fix that.

Good idea about the box color change too. I will fix that too.

rfman
8th February 2009, 11:46 AM
A feature what I am after is a "Live view" when the camera is connected with the computer.

Peter

The nominal goal of the program is just to auto-download for tether operation. Moreover, currently I use the Olympus SDK and there is no way to grab Live View images continuously using the Olympus API. In fact, it may not be possible at all as it may not be supported by the camera firmware.

I am not sure if the processor in the E-3 is fast enough to stream out the LV images either.

Interesting idea though.

the slayer
8th February 2009, 05:40 PM
Any chance you could make a Mono port for Linux?

dodger
8th February 2009, 07:11 PM
That's an excellent little program and a much better option than studio given that I only want this capability, and will be purchasing the program shortly.

I agree with mike that the status bar should change colour, or at least go back to being empty, when the download is completed.

Just one thing, the "Photo Software" button isn't on your homepage yet, which makes purchasing the program difficult at best.

Thank you :-)
Neil

rfman
8th February 2009, 08:24 PM
Any chance you could make a Mono port for Linux?

Not likely at this point - unless Olympus release the full comm spec and the source code for the driver....

Actually, I can probably handle the driver and everything if Olympus releases the spec. Fully reverse engineer it will take too much time right now. SO may be I should say - we will see.

RE: Ordering
While I may not need sleep, the web person does :-). So the order page will be up today. Thank you.

rfman
8th February 2009, 10:13 PM
OK, I released V1.01. If you re-download the file, you will get it. It fixes:

- the default directory is "My Documents." To test, run regedt32, and delete the "Capture Dir" key under CURRENT_USER\Software\ImageCraft\E-Capture\ before running the program.

- the progress bar area is reset to blank color when the image is downloaded.

Thanks!

joeletx
9th February 2009, 01:18 AM
E-Capture is a program that performs a simple task: it captures images from an Olympus E-System camera tethered to the PC's USB port and saves the images to disk as fast as possible. It does not display images, nor does it have an image browser, leaving that job to an image browsing or cataloging program such as ACDSee, Bibble, Lightroom etc.

I have used Studio to tether from my E-500 and E-3 to my laptop for the last two years and I was supprised to see it was dismissed as being incapable.

May be I am missing something, but below steps is how I tether to a laptop using Studio 2.XX:

1. Connect camera to the USB port on laptop. From Studio screen, click the "Camera Control" button.

2. Turn on camera and select "Control". On Studio, click the "Camera" button to start shotting normally with the camera. Images files shot will be transferred to the hard disk in the laptop. No image is saved in the CF or XD memory cards. You will see image displayed on laptop as soon as the the transmission is completed (about 1-3 seconds). If you shoot multiple frames, only the last frame is displayed when you stop; but all picture are there in you hard disk and you can see them lining up on the bottom Studio screen.

3. To preview, you have to shoot in PC mode. Click the "PC" button on Studio.

4. Click the second button from bottom of Studio that said "AF..." or "MF..."

5. Set camera on tripod, frame then click the "Preview" button on Studio. A preview image is now shown on your laptop screen. You can click the "Preview" button as many times as you want. No file is tranferred to your hard disk at this time.

6. When you are satisfy with what you see, click the “Shooting” button at the bottom and the camera will do the actual shot and send the file to your laptop. You can click as many shooting as you like. You will see as many files saved to your laptop appear on the bottom of your screen.

Joe

rfman
9th February 2009, 01:22 AM
I have used Studio to tether from my E-500 and E-3 to my laptop for the last two years and I was supprised to see it was dismissed as being incapable.

No one says Studio is incapable. Just that a) it cost $100, and b) if all you want is the tether support and using another program like ACDSee or Lightroom for browsing and (RAW) image processing, then Studio is overkill.

That's all.

// richard

rfman
9th February 2009, 10:03 AM
OK, the "Photo Software" button is up on http://www.imagecraft.com. Go buy now and often :-)

Thanks

// richard

rfman
10th February 2009, 06:59 AM
A number of people requested this feature, so here it is:

http://www.imagecraft.com click in "photo software" to download the latest demo (1.02, I will update the webpage to have version #) which supports the option to put RAW and JPG in the specified folder or subfolders.

You can actually also create subfolder with the Select Directory dialog box, but it is a bit clunky. I will fix it at some points.

As for LV display of images on the PC, I think the best bet is to somehow utilize video out. That would be a much more involved job, but I will look into it.

Buy now and often. It's only $10 :-)
--
// richard
w: http://www.rfman.com
b: http://rfman.wordpress.com

crimbo
6th September 2009, 04:50 PM
Does this work on the E400?

Ian
12th September 2009, 08:55 PM
Does this work on the E400?

I can't think why it wouldn't... is there a trial download available?

Ian

theMusicMan
12th September 2009, 10:19 PM
I there an OSx version...?

crimbo
13th September 2009, 07:37 AM
I can't think why it wouldn't... is there a trial download available?

Ian

Okay found the trick on the E400...go into the menus and set the USB to Control before connecting up...now just need to fire it from the PC rather than the camera

Wolves
13th September 2009, 10:55 AM
I there an OSx version...?

I wish, Olympus only seems to sell the developer files for Win, so you only get Win based third party programs.

picsnapr
24th October 2010, 04:39 AM
Aren't there any mac users here?
Do you know of any softwares for the Mac to enable tethered shooting with E-620?

ReggieB
24th October 2010, 10:50 PM
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/5488/threadnecromancyjk7.jpg

Alright, downloaded the trial version of this. I open it, plug in the E-3, choose control, AND...nothing. Nothing happens. Is this a W7 issue? I have tried to run it in compatibility mode with XP SP3, and Vista, still nada...

EDIT: sorry picsnapr, not trying to make fun of you with that picture, I didn't even read that you just posted in this thread, I only saw the other dates, I came across this looking for help on Google, and thought I was the one raising this thread from the dead.