PDA

View Full Version : Measurements

hschnee
27th October 2008, 08:16 PM
I'm looking to buy a new camera bag, and need some help figuring what size bag I need. Getting one for the equipment I have now is easy, but I want it to be able to hold the equipment I plan to buy in the future. This includes the upcoming midrange camera and the 50-200 SWD.

We obviously don't know the size of the yet-to-be-produced camera, but I figure it will be a bit smaller than the E-3. Can someone who owns an E-3 and 50-200 SWD take a few measurments for me? I especially would like to know the maximum length from front to back (i.e. from the front of the lens to the viewfinder eyepiece).

Thanks!

- Hal -

Snibbo
27th October 2008, 10:01 PM
You might also want to consider whether you would have the HLD-4 vertical grip on the E-3 as this adds a quite a bit to the top-bottom dimensions of the camera.

You won't want to be taking the grip on and off every time you get the camera out/put it away; trust me.

Bear
27th October 2008, 10:59 PM
Hal

I use the Olympus pro back pack that was free with the E3 if I need to carry a lot of gear. Usually I can get most of my kit in that, E3 (inc HLD-4), E510, 7-14, 12-60, 50-200, 50, EC20, Sigma 30 and 105, plus assorted bits and pieces. Can't get the fl-50 in as well unless I leave something out. For a mid range bag I usually take a Billingham 330. I get the E3 plus 7-14, 12-60, 50-200 and Sigma 30 in that with either the E-510 or another lens plus the usual filters etc. If I am travelling light I take a National Geographic Earth Explorere Medium. That is good for a body plus three lenses. All three bags will take the E3 + 12-60 + 50-200 and more.

I agree with Snibbo, when you get an E3 the HLD-4 will stay on the camera !

Kuifje
28th October 2008, 12:36 AM
Another thing you may want to consider is weight .. here one more vote for a back-pack if you carry lots of gear for most of the day..

Lowepro computracker here and it holds my E-1 with zooms attached, a 300mm, OM zuiko's but these are reletively small. The Flash goes in the front..

Martin

hschnee
28th October 2008, 01:06 AM
Thank you for all the ideas and suggestions. I've really become something of a minimalist when it comes to equipment--one camera, two lenses, a flash, and a couple of filters is all I really need. (After my great experience on the photo workshop, add a tripod to the list for nature/landscape photos.) I don't plan to buy a battery grip, more lenses, or much else--just looking to upgrade my E-410 to the upcoming midrange model and my 40-150 to the 50-200 SWD.

I'm thinking that I really need two camera bags. One will be a backpack for long hiking trips. The Lowepro Rover AW II looks like it's just the ticket. For more "around town" excursions, I've been looking at a small/medium sling pack--having trouble choosing among the Lowepro Slingshot 200, Kata 3N1-20, and Tenba Shootout Medium Sling.

I'd like the sling bag to be only as big as necessary to hold everything. So I'm really just wondering which of these, if any, can hold an E-3-size camera with the 50-200 mounted. Is there anyone who can pull out a tape measure and let me know how long this combination is?

- Hal -

ndl0071
28th October 2008, 07:36 AM
I don't have an E3 but I do have an E1 with grip attached, I use the Lowepro Sling 200 and am able to fit in the E1 with 50-200swd attached together with the 14-54 and the FL36, all this with room to spare for a table top tripod/filters etc.
I've had the 200 sling now for about a year and it's proved invaluable over this time, not at all disappointed.
Hope this helps.

Neil

StephenL
28th October 2008, 09:51 AM
The E-1 with 50-200SWD attached (hood reversed) is 240mm. I can't think that the E-3 is much different.

hschnee
28th October 2008, 04:13 PM
This helps a lot. Thanks! It sounds as though the Lowepro or Kata will work great, but the Tenba probably won't as it's a touch narrower. Still a tough decision--the Kata can be set up as a left-shoulder sling (my preference, as I'm left-handed), but has no good way to attach a water bottle. . . who would have thought choosing a bag would be so much harder than choosing the gear it carries? My kingdom for the perfect camera bag!

- Hal -

Barr1e
28th October 2008, 06:30 PM
Today I used the Lowepro Slingshot 200 on our six mile hike. I carry the bag without using the breast/sternum strap as I find it most comfortable this way.

Contents in the centre of the bag as seen: E-3 coupled with 40-150 and EC-1.4 with room to spare (the 70-300 is normally on but it is away at the Olympus doctor). 12-60 lens, Anne's 11-22 and room for two others. Hope this helps.
http://www.fourthirds-user.com/galleries/data/500/SS_200.jpg (http://www.fourthirds-user.com/galleries/showphoto.php?photo=7775)

Regards. Barr1e

hschnee
28th October 2008, 08:23 PM
Beautiful, Barr1e. Thank you! I wish the bag makers provided such great views of what equipment their bags could hold!

- Hal -

Joop
22nd December 2008, 12:32 AM
Contents in the centre of the bag as seen: E-3 coupled with 40-150 and EC-1.4 with room to spare (the 70-300 is normally on but it is away at the Olympus doctor). 12-60 lens, Anne's 11-22 and room for two others.
I'm not sure what is in the plastic bag on the right side and if it stays in the plastic bag all the time. I think it is not a good idea to keep lenses in plastic bags other than only for a short duration. Is there a reason why you keep the body this way? I think when you put it in on the short side with grip up that you can pull it more secure and more quickly. Also the combination lens-body is more even and better supported on the bottom. But that is my view.

ReggieB
22nd December 2008, 02:12 AM
I use a photo trekker all weather II (lowepro). It can hold my way too heavy tripod on the outside, a day back can be strapped to it (it comes with it) plus it currently is holding my E-3, Panasonic L-1, E-500, the kit lenses from that (14-45 and 40-150 I believe), my PanaLeicas (14-150 and 25), and bigma. There is still plenty of room to add more. (probably two more bigmas worth of space, so several smaller lenses). It is quite large, however, and kind of expensive, too.

BTW, does anyone else cover their bag's logos? This was recommended to me. Especially for traveling, that Lowepro name is recognized the world over as a great target for theft. All 80 or so logos that Lowepro saw fit to affix to my bag are covered with Army green duct tape.

EDIT: Just looked at the Lowepro web page, I would say shop around if you do get a bag, I got mine for less than half what it is listed on their web site's store through Wolf Camera.

Barr1e
22nd December 2008, 10:05 PM
I'm not sure what is in the plastic bag on the right side and if it stays in the plastic bag all the time. I think it is not a good idea to keep lenses in plastic bags other than only for a short duration. Is there a reason why you keep the body this way? I think when you put it in on the short side with grip up that you can pull it more secure and more quickly. Also the combination lens-body is more even and better supported on the bottom. But that is my view.

Hi Joop -

I was using the Slingshot 200. My main bag nowadays is the Lowepro Rezo 190AW as it affords more strength/protection carrying the E-3, 12-60 lens and battery grip combined plus other lenses. I carry the spare lenses in opened plastic bags to stop getting them scratched and each has a Silica bag enclosed.

Regards. Barr1e

Derry
22nd December 2008, 10:42 PM
another vote for the Lowepro 200 sling,, use it for the E3 with the 12-60 mounted and the 50-200 and 50 macro also fit in very easy,, if I am heading to the gyms to shoot the grandkids sports with the 35-100 I just remove the pads dividers and place the 12-60 in the upper compartment and the E3 with the 35-100 mounted in the main compartment,, looked at the 300 but it was bigger than I needed,, the single sling is good and bad,, if the bag is full the weight on the one sling can get heavy,, I wrapped the sling with some sheep skin that helps the heavier loads,,

Derry