PDA

View Full Version : E520 with ME-1 eyecup

Xeph Grand
21st October 2008, 07:33 PM
OK, what I really really want is the E3, but its mega bucks and theres a crisis (as if you didnt already know!). So Ive been thinking about getting the E520 as an upgrade for my tired E500, and purchasing the ME-1 eyecup to magnify the viewfinder (as the E3 viewfinder is my main reason for drooling at that model).
So anyone used this combo with success? Or should I wait it out for the new E3ABC?*LOL

bitslizer
21st October 2008, 08:13 PM
A) E3 price have been dropping like a rock, some one picked up an (used) E3+15-54 for 970 on ebay here in the USA

B) I have a E510 + the panasonic version of the ME-1 (its got a rectangular rubber eyecup like the EP-5 vs the circular flat rubber disk of the ME1 and its cheaper than the ME-1 and is a direct replacement, no mod necessary) and it works great. there maybe a little vignetteing in the corners, but not too bad, and make it a little harder to read the status bar in the VF but overall i like the bigger picture

Bear
21st October 2008, 09:49 PM
I use the ME-1 with the E510 nd it works well for me a vast improvement over the standard viewfinder. I urge you, however, to find the the extra cash and look around for a 2nd hand E3. It is simply awesome !

Den
21st October 2008, 10:08 PM
I have ME-1 eyecups and like them - they make seeing the viewfinder info more difficult so you refer to that a lot you may be disappointed. Not as nice as working on my E-1 though, which means it's not a scratch on the E-3.

bitslizer
21st October 2008, 10:21 PM
here's a comparison of the ME1 and the Panny's verison

http://miki0n.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!4138856C2915809F!767.entry

Ian
22nd October 2008, 06:20 AM
There is a review of the ME-1 on this site, here:

http://fourthirds-user.com/2007/09/olympus_me1_magnifier_eyecup_review.php

Ian

Bear
22nd October 2008, 08:54 AM
Off topic I know so please forgive me. I was just browsing on eBay. The seller olympusmarket, which is the official eBay i.d. of Olympus Europe, is selling several E3 bodies. These are either new or refurb and carry full Olympus warranties. I don't know how much they will sell for but the one with this eBay UK item number - 220296797801 - finaishes later today and is currently priced at 478. Might be a bargain for someone. If the price is right I might treat myself to a spare body.

The olympus market eBay shop is one worth bookmarking as there are often interesting bits and pieces for sale. Sometimes prices are good sometimes not so but it never hurts to look - as I always tell Mrs Bear !

Continuing in the same vein (getting all the off topic stuff out of the way in one post !) you know all those irritating little bits of plastic that fall off cameras and get lost. Things like the plastic hotshoe covers and the little caps that screw on the cable remote and remote flash sockets. I lost all three and found them for sale on eBay UK at lutoncameras. Very cheap and dispatched quickly.

Off topic done. Back to the thread.

The ME-1 improved my E-510 experience considerably.

Xeph Grand
22nd October 2008, 01:46 PM
Wow, thanx Bear for that tip-off about the Olympus ebay site. Ive had a look and seems pretty tempting to start bidding. Interestingly the E3 has a starting bid price of 1 euro, and then some bright spark (employee?) jumps the price up to 500 euros! Have you actually bought a camera from them Bear?

Bitslizer - thanx for the interesting info about the Panasonic eyepiece. Looks alot more comfortable to use than the round ME-1.

Bear
22nd October 2008, 01:54 PM
Never bought a camera but have bought a lens and few bits and pieces. No problems at all but you do have to watach the prices. For some reason some things go cheap, others expensive so need to keep the bidding finger in check !

Ledgem
22nd October 2008, 05:16 PM
Lucky :( For the Americans, the eBay seller for Olympus (olympusauctions) only has a few lenses here and there, mostly 50-200 SWD's and EC-14's. I've seen an E-1 on there once.

And, despite the fact that they list literally 150+ point-and-shoots per each day, people constantly bid the price up to $150+ even if it's an older camera! Sheesh, why can't people just choose to bid only on auctions where nobody else has bid? It'd be cheaper for all of us :(

Bear
22nd October 2008, 06:09 PM
Most of them just don't understand eBay that's why Pierre is so rich !

Xeph Grand
23rd October 2008, 06:17 PM
So Bear, you live in Spain like myself. How much did you get your E3 for and where from, if you dont mind me asking? The cheapest Ive found online is at Pixmania, but it still retails for 1385 euros with delivery. I got the shopping bug real bad!

Bear
23rd October 2008, 10:30 PM
I was one of the very early E3 adopters. I had mine on pre-order from Park Cameras in the UK and paid 1699 including the 12-60 back in November 2007. Seems a high price now but it has been fantastic value for money. The camera has so much potential and astonishing ability. It has made me a better photographer by allowing me to realise potential I didn't know I had. In the last year I have published a website, sold my first photos, exhibited in public for the first time, been published in a newspaper centre spread and have just completed my first paid commission. This is not down to the E3 but the E3 certainly helped. Buy one !

BTW the eBay listing I posted closed at just over 600 - I think that's a bargain !

Xeph Grand
24th October 2008, 10:01 PM
Thanx again for the response Bear, what would we do without you on this forum?
Anyhows, started my bidding on an E3 body so fingers crossed no one outbids me. Naturally I would of loved to purchase the E3 and 12-60 lens so I could get the FL50r flash free, but I will make use of the great lenses I got way back with my E500 kit and treat myself again later on my journey. At the moment, its more important to me to get the new body so I can SEE through the viewfinder and get that extra boost in my photos. Oh and to satisfy my hunger for new gadgetry!

Bear
24th October 2008, 10:10 PM
Good luck on the bidding - I noticed there are several for sale and they all seem to end up around 650 - 700. Hope this is about right for you.

cheers

ian510
28th November 2008, 06:06 AM
i just purchased the ME-1. can't wait for it to arrive in the mail.

ReggieB
22nd December 2008, 07:02 PM
A) E3 price have been dropping like a rock, some one picked up an (used) E3+15-54 for 970 on ebay here in the USA

B) I have a E510 + the panasonic version of the ME-1 (its got a rectangular rubber eyecup like the EP-5 vs the circular flat rubber disk of the ME1 and its cheaper than the ME-1 and is a direct replacement, no mod necessary) and it works great. there maybe a little vignetteing in the corners, but not too bad, and make it a little harder to read the status bar in the VF but overall i like the bigger picture

I know this is an old post, but anyone know the name of the panasonic version of the ME-1, I would like one for my L1, it is nearly unusable now that I have used the viewfinder on the E-3, and I would like to use it as a backup body.

EDIT: Well, I just read that it is standard kit on the L10, I can probably just order the eye cup listed under parts for that camera on the panasoinic web site, is this correct? It is only listed as $15

bitslizer
23rd December 2008, 06:12 AM
part# VYC0973

order it from partstore.com (i've no relation with them other than that's where i order mine)

may take a week or 2 to deliver, as they basically forward your order to the Pany warehouse

it still won't be as big as the E3 VF i don't think

ReggieB
23rd December 2008, 07:48 AM
part# VYC0973

order it from partstore.com (i've no relation with them other than that's where i order mine)

may take a week or 2 to deliver, as they basically forward your order to the Pany warehouse

it still won't be as big as the E3 VF i don't think

I don't imagine it will be, but it should be usable, haha.