PDA

View Full Version : Pen Ft

river5
3rd August 2007, 03:48 PM
Hello everyone.I am an OLYMPUS user since 1974 and ihave a question for you all.What would you think of an OLYMPUS PEN FT with a 4\3rds mount forZD lenses?Personaly i think that would be something.PS forgive my english.

Ian
3rd August 2007, 06:12 PM
Hello everyone.I am an OLYMPUS user since 1974 and ihave a question for you all.What would you think of an OLYMPUS PEN FT with a 4\3rds mount forZD lenses?Personaly i think that would be something.PS forgive my english.

Hi - where are you from? Your english seems fine to me! t-up

Sigma has produced a compact with a large sensor, the DP-1. I compact-style Four Thirds camera without a reflex viewfinder is perfectly possible, though the thickness of the camera would not be reduced by the absence of a mirror as the lens mount to sensor plane can't be altered. But it would be very interesting...

Ian

river5
3rd August 2007, 10:08 PM
Thank you for your reply Ian.Im from Athens Greece.Il love Olympus cameras and i think that it is so innovative company that could make the difference.If they could produce a camera like the Pen FT i think they would make many people happy and also earn a lot of money.Itwould be an alternative to M8.

Den
3rd August 2007, 10:14 PM
The Pen's porroprism made it to the E-300 and E-330 so maybe some of the other features might trickle through time too... Come to think of it, though, the size of the Pen F isn't very different from the E-400/410 - it's just a couple of centimetres shorter and, in fact, the E-400 is marginally thinner...

What I want is the multi-spot metering from the OM-4. And the OM-2n viewfinder :-)

longtemps
4th August 2007, 12:23 PM
As Den reminds us, the Pen FT is an SLR. I have an E-300 and was drawn to it partly because its porroprism heritage from my Pen FT. But the E-300 and E-330 are clunkie affairs compared to the Pen's rangefinder-like lines and proportions.

If the E-400/410 are showing us that Olympus has gotten miniaturization down to Pen FT proportions, I would like to see that applied to a porroprism design to see just how small they can make it.

Den
4th August 2007, 03:50 PM
So, what your saying is you want a 4/3 camera with the same form factor as the Leica M8? Sign me up for three!

longtemps
4th August 2007, 05:13 PM
http://home.earthlink.net/~jk6152/pen%20yo.jpg;)

Den
4th August 2007, 05:16 PM
Oh, you tease, you!

river5
4th August 2007, 08:00 PM
I think that after all Olympus didnt go with APS or full frame and such a camera could be possible .Is there a way Olympus hear us?And we dont need all the bells and the whistles of the modern cameras in a Digital PEN.At least i dont.

longtemps
4th August 2007, 08:34 PM
I think if there is any potential for such a camera, Olympus would stay with the 4/3 system specs. To fit a dSLR into a Pen F/FT form factor, after the necessary level of miniaturization is achieved has two obstacles that I see that must (and could) be overcome.

If my references are correct, the lens mount to focal plane distance of the 4/3 system is about 39mm, for the Pen F/FT it is about 29mm. That's 10mm of extra camera body thickness required for the 4/3 spec., though I could see the body kept thin by having an extra deep lens mount "surround". Hey, that surround could even recede into the body when the camera is turned off, the way autofocus lenses wind down.

The LCD display typically mounted on the back of a digital camera body requires significant thickness behind the focal plane. One way around this is to use a smaller display, set to one side, not directly behind the focal plane and therefore able to occupy space deeper into the body. I am not sure how this smaller display would fare as far as user acceptability, given the common perception that "bigger is better" and the demands for a larger display if a live view system were implemented.

How to tell Olympus? I am hoping as this web site grows and gains credibility as a fertile ground for the interchange of ideas, Olympus can't help but watch it.

river5
4th August 2007, 08:52 PM
Ok then .It would be fun to read on the news page of this site that Olympus announces the PEN E.Please dont wake me up im just dreaming.....

Den
5th August 2007, 01:09 AM
Maybe no LCD at all would be an option? If they could get a really good EVF.... Olympus is so good at miniaturization... I remember it dawning me exactly why the OM shutter speed dial was round the lens mount... of course, they were utilizing the space *under* the mirror...

grafiskfoto
5th August 2007, 11:43 AM
I too had a Pen 30 years ago. My wallpaper is a Pen downloaded from the Olympus site. I was dissapointed of the E - 300/330 design: not at all Olympus design standard. I use an E -500, but would love to have a digital Pen as a street camera.
Morten

Den
5th August 2007, 11:52 AM
The Panasonic L1 is, in my opinion, a bit of a mess, though slightly better value these days than it used to be. But its predecessor, the LC1 - now that really had something going for it...