PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Stuck Shutter or A Simple Glitch?

himgil
20th June 2014, 04:58 PM
Hi all,

An unexpected problem with my E-PM1. This morning, all of a sudden, my daughter's camera started to shut itself down after successfully taking a photo. It saves the photo, shows it to me for a second on LCD screen, and then goes black and turn itself off. No matter how many times I tried results are the same.

We've started our vacation a week ago and been using this camera for almost 2 years without a problem. And now, in the middle of holiday, it gives us this challenge. I asked to Google first, and thought it could be stuck shutter, as almost all symptoms fit. Yet, unlike stuck shutter problems, ours takes a successful photo (no black, no overexposure, just normal) and shows the photo to us for a second. Also, I followed several steps, but to no avail: camerarepair.blogspot.co.uk/2009/05/simple-fix-for-stuck-shutter.html

Hard reset, format, different batteries and SD cards, etc. did not help either. Strange thing it must have happened just couple of hours ago, as we used it yesterday night as well. My daughter really loves her camera and if anyone can save me from buying a new one I'd be grateful.
Any help will be most appreciated!

PS. I saw few threads on the same issue in various forums/blogs, yet no one has provided a solution rather than changing the body unfortunately. Also Canon folks has a similar problem (failure to take photo due to battery/power issues), but ours takes photo without a problem.

T-Lama
20th June 2014, 06:06 PM
Hi,
this is really unfortunate and I have some doubts this can be corrected easily, when every other attempt did not work.
What the camera does if you set it to sequential shooting mode and try to hold the shutter for a second or two?

himgil
20th June 2014, 07:19 PM
Thank you for reply T-Lama!

In sequential shooting, it only captures the first frame and then shut itself.

T-Lama
20th June 2014, 08:39 PM
I am afraid it is game over for that PEN, either it may be a problem with corrupted firmware or something in the circuitry that is causing shutdowns after the first frame no matter what. :(
Service should be able to tell you specifically where the problem is (I am only guessing). But if it is serious and I think it is, it may be cheaper to buy another camera.

Slightly good news is, as long as it is saving photos, that you can use it as a single-shot camera. Very annoying in modern age, but better than nothing, I guess.:\

vinc
20th June 2014, 11:05 PM
do you have the option to disable the preview of the photo? Maybe it's something related to switching from live view to preview and back.

himgil
21st June 2014, 08:06 AM
I do have, yet disabling didn't help either. It saves the photo, stuck for a second, and then turn itself off.

After a further investigation I believe problem is not caused by stuck shutter but either by misbehaving circuits or by some software glitch. If only I can reinstall the firmware perhaps there is still a chance! Any ideas how to reach system menu (if there is one) or system error logs?