PDA

View Full Version : Assuming there IS an E-P5 in the pipeline - what do you want it to offer?

Ian
8th May 2013, 08:36 AM
Seeing as there has been so much anticipation and speculation about the possibility of a Pen E-P5, out if interest what would you like to see such a camera offering? Go on - hit me :)

Ian

whatapicture
8th May 2013, 10:28 AM
Built in EVF at least as good as Sony

Ian
8th May 2013, 10:46 AM
Built in EVF at least as good as Sony

But then it won't be a Pen - Pens are models without integrated EVFs - it's an optional extra. The OM-D line has an integrated viewfinder. I would be very surprised if this distinction would be changed.

Ian

Dan in NC
8th May 2013, 11:02 AM
Quite frankly, I have never understood the appeal of the Pens. What I would really like to see is an Olympus camera with a rangefinder style like the Fuji X-E1 that could actually focus 4/3 lenses.

In the meantime, I will stay at 10 megapixels and stick with my E-520, E-3 and my XZ-1. With the XZ-1, I really have a difficult time using a LCD to compose and take images, in large part due to the progressive lenses with my eyeglasses. Viewfinders are much easier for me to use.

Ian
8th May 2013, 11:28 AM
I'll be frank in that I am surprised, especially after the success of the OM-D E-M5, that Olympus hasn't followed up swiftly with a more affordable Micro Four Thirds model with an integrated viewfinder. But Pens do sell and welll. But like you, Dan, I also prefer a viewfinder because my near-sight is not what it used to be! :)

But as I said earlier in the thread, the rumours are all about an E-P5 replacement for the E-P3, so I don't really see a permanently integrated viewfinder as an option if it is a Pen model.

Ian

Ross
8th May 2013, 12:32 PM
Quite frankly, I have never understood the appeal of the Pens. What I would really like to see is an Olympus camera with a rangefinder style like the Fuji X-E1 that could actually focus 4/3 lenses.

In the meantime, I will stay at 10 megapixels and stick with my E-520, E-3 and my XZ-1. With the XZ-1, I really have a difficult time using a LCD to compose and take images, in large part due to the progressive lenses with my eyeglasses. Viewfinders are much easier for me to use.

My suggestion for you is to get rid of your progressive lenses & go bifocal like I have & then you can have 3 pairs of glasses like me too & then using the screen will be no problem. ;) I have one standard bifocal for general use, another bifocal specifically for music playing & another single focal lens glasses for computer use. :rolleyes: I hate multifocals (progressive focals). :\

Ross
8th May 2013, 12:41 PM
I'll be frank in that I am surprised, especially after the success of the OM-D E-M5, that Olympus hasn't followed up swiftly with a more affordable Micro Four Thirds model with an integrated viewfinder. But Pens do sell and welll. But like you, Dan, I also prefer a viewfinder because my near-sight is not what it used to be! :)

But as I said earlier in the thread, the rumours are all about an E-P5 replacement for the E-P3, so I don't really see a permanently integrated viewfinder as an option if it is a Pen model.

Ian

Well, the rumoured VF-4 sounds like it should suit those with visual problems with its nice large size & magnification, but since the E-M5 has most for me now, expectations for things in the E-P5 aren't particularly relevant other than seeing features being introduced that will hopefully be put into the next OM-D (not that my marriage would withstand another camera purchase for a long time).

Ian
8th May 2013, 01:18 PM
I did get a pair of bifocals made up but I couldn't get on with them. I haven't yet tried varifocals (is that what you mean by 'progressive'?). Being 'only' 52 my eyesight has only really changed enough to need reading glasses in the last couple of years, but it is changing quite fast and it seems that one eye is changing faster than the other :D

Ian

Dan in NC
8th May 2013, 02:15 PM
I believe that varifocal and progressive lenses are the same thing.

Ross
8th May 2013, 02:16 PM
I did get a pair of bifocals made up but I couldn't get on with them. I haven't yet tried varifocals (is that what you mean by 'progressive'?). Being 'only' 52 my eyesight has only really changed enough to need reading glasses in the last couple of years, but it is changing quite fast and it seems that one eye is changing faster than the other :D

Ian

It's quite often that the close vision can start to go in the mid 40's, but add astigmatism to it (that started to affect my long vision in my 20's) & glasses for both ranges become desirable. Just wait & enjoy the fun experience of trying the varifocals (or progressive or multifocals, depends on brand name of manufacturer, but essentially means the same thing) as it gives you a distorted outer peripheral vision that you have to adjust to, or your brain adjusts to & then you may enjoy bifocals afterwards. Well, that was my experience, except I got a crick in the neck looking over the reading part to see where I was walking. :\

Actually, when tilting down the display for overhead shooting, it becomes difficult trying to look through my lower part of my glasses to see it in focus. :mad: :\

Dan in NC
8th May 2013, 02:27 PM
This a good discussion of the challenges we face with eyeglasses. Perhaps we should start a new thread. I'll be having an eye exam next month, and it would be good to get some glasses that are optimal for photography.

Dan

Ian
8th May 2013, 02:37 PM
Yes, I have astigmatism in both eyes, which does complicate matters. On top of that I am very sensitive to the accuracy of the prescription, which is rather challenging to my optician! I also have a lazy eye which means I can see quite well with it but my brain doesn't process information from it well - so I find it difficult to read through that eye even though I can see the detail of the letters with great clarity! Very weird!

Ian

thestickman
8th May 2013, 07:47 PM
Living proof that modern cameras do all the work for photographers - you don't even have to be able to see properly... ;)

(From a glasses wearer in training - not essential for me yet but they stop eyestrain after a day in front of the computer)

Ross
8th May 2013, 09:50 PM
Living proof that modern cameras do all the work for photographers - you don't even have to be able to see properly... ;)

(From a glasses wearer in training - not essential for me yet but they stop eyestrain after a day in front of the computer)

Perhaps I should just leave my camera on Auto & my photos might turn out better & when I choose a focus position (on the screen) & then press the shutter button, the camera moves enough to focus on something else...& then I have to squint through my bifocals in bright sunlight (yes, we have that sort of stuff here) & ...... :rolleyes: :\

It isn't that bad, but perhaps I should try Auto sometimes to see how much better the camera can do it than my settings. :D

Now back to the E-P5, are yes, Friday will be when we can all discuss all (according to the rumour). ;)

IainMacD
9th May 2013, 11:40 AM
I would like a fully articulated screen, not just tilting; I find it really useful on the E-5 (as I did on the E-620) for low down shots in portrait.

Timmylee
9th May 2013, 04:53 PM
When the E-P5 comes out. I would really like the camera to have the tilt screen of course and time lapse would really be nice. . . . . And the new 16MP sensor which I'm sure it will have. . . . .
Steve Huff seems to have a picture of an M-P5 on his site. . . . It wasn't there over the weekend. . . . As big as he is on mirrorless I wouldn't be surprised if he already has one for evaluation. . . . .
Well it say's that the information was posted on Steve Huff's website on May 1st. . . . I thought I had been on since then but I guess not. . . . .

Ian
10th May 2013, 06:58 AM
OK - my hands-on preview with lots and lots of piccies is here:

http://fourthirds-user.com/2013/05/olympus_pen_ep5_handson_preview.php

Ian