PDA

View Full Version : GH2 vs GH1

ricland
3rd May 2013, 06:32 AM
I've been looking at videos of both the Gh1 and Gh2 and don't see much of a difference. I'll be shooting a short video at the end of the month and am debating whether to buy a vest and arm for my Laing Stabalizer (stedicam knockoff) or a Gh1.

I like the idea of shooting with two camera especially with one on the tripod while the other is on the stabalizer. But of course I like the great shots I'll be able to get with the vest and arm.

What would you do?

Ian
3rd May 2013, 07:56 AM
The GH2 is a more refined camera and it's better for stills photography. It has more resolution (16MP v.s. 12MP) without sacrificing dynamic range or noise. All the specifications are better on the GH2, but the GH1 remains a good camera and it may well be that it's good enough for you. What do you currently use?

Ian

thestickman
3rd May 2013, 11:06 AM
As a very broad rule having a second viewpoint will be a great addition to your filming. As long as you are steady enough on the stabiliser without vest to get the walkabout shots, having a second camera would be my choice. Apart form anything else, having the option of cutting between cameras lets you cover up a lot of things...

ricland
3rd May 2013, 12:19 PM
The GH2 is a more refined camera and it's better for stills photography. It has more resolution (16MP v.s. 12MP) without sacrificing dynamic range or noise. All the specifications are better on the GH2, but the GH1 remains a good camera and it may well be that it's good enough for you. What do you currently use?

Ian

Thanks.

I have no interest in stills at all. I do need to be able to use the footage from the GH1 with the footage from the GH2, so my question is will I get the equavalent quality.

I've heard there are hacks for the GH1 that will allow me the quality I need.

ricland
3rd May 2013, 12:21 PM
As a very broad rule having a second viewpoint will be a great addition to your filming. As long as you are steady enough on the stabiliser without vest to get the walkabout shots, having a second camera would be my choice. Apart form anything else, having the option of cutting between cameras lets you cover up a lot of things...

That was my thinking too, so my choice was a second GH2 that I thought I'd be able to get for $500. Not so.

So now I'm looking at GH1s wondering if they can do the job.

thestickman
3rd May 2013, 12:55 PM
It depends on what you need... They both shoot at the same resolutions - the GH1 is an older sensor so a bit more noisy, but unless you are shooting at high ISO you probably wouldn't notice the difference shot to shot IMO - so mixing the footage shouldn't be too much of a problem.

One key difference is the modes they can record in.
GH1: http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/DMC-GH1/Specification/2146697/index.html
GH2: http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/LUMIX+Digital+Cameras/LUMIX+G+Compact+System+Cameras/DMC-GH2/Specification/5979999/index.html
As you can see the GH2 will give better quality because it allows a higher bitrate - up to 24Mbps. It also outputs proper 24fps rather than 24fps in 60i wrapper.
The hacks around might even things up between a GH1 and an unhacked GH2, but a hacked GH2 would be better again of course.

Another possibly key difference is the ability to do HDMI out/monitoring on the GH2 - it can be important in some setups.

In fact there is a thread on just this over: here (http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/1139/using-a-gh13-and-a-gh2-on-the-same-project/p1)

I haven't tried mixing these two personally, but according to Google it sounds like a lot of people do. I have mixed footage from a GoPro3, GH2 and Sony XDCAM - the trick is to ensure that you colour match well and then shoot different shots on each. E.g. shoot all your extreme wideangle action shots on the GoPro, steadicam walkabouts on the GH2 then static interviews on the Sony, that way as you cut between them it isn't jarring because they shots are so difference the the dirrerent image characteristics arn't too "in your face".

At the end of the day good editing can help with differences between cameras - it can even be a feature - but you have to have the footage to start with. Only you can decide whether better steadicam shots or multiple angles are more important for your project I'm afraid! :)

ricland
3rd May 2013, 01:42 PM
Thanks, Stickman.

ricland
3rd May 2013, 06:55 PM

Ian

Currently own a gh2 and needed a second camera to short a short feature.