PDA

View Full Version : Reccomend lens for video?

maxmitch
21st February 2013, 10:00 PM
I have come up with:
M42 Lens's
Helios 44M 2/58mm
Yashica Yashinon-DX 50mm f/1.7
Carl Zeiss Jena TESSAR - 50mm f2.8
HELIOS-44M 2/58 f/2 58mm
Mir-1B f/2.8/37mm
Helios-44-2 2/58 58mm f2.0
MD & MC Lens's
MINOLTA MD 28mm F3.5
MINOLTA M 50mm F1.7
MINOLTA W.ROKKOR 28mm F2.8
Pentacon Prakticar MC 50 mm f1.8
OLYMPUS OM VIVITAR MC 28MM F2.8
Pentacon Prakticar MC 50mm f/1.8
PK WIDE ANGLE LENS MC 28mm F2.8 SAITEX

I was wondering if you could recommend any of these lenses or some new ones that are around 50 or less.
Thanks
Max

AndyBeeson
22nd February 2013, 01:02 AM
Hi, It all depends on what type of video work you ar doing or going to do as regards focal length. A zoom is great for general purpose use. The fixed lenses fine if you want to stick to a particular focal length. The Carl Zeiss lens is an excellent lens for image quality (I have one) and the Minolta 50 f1.7 should be good ( the AF lens is highly sought after for Sony cameras but won`t be able to stop down on MFT due to electronic aperture). With regards the Carl Zeiss you need to make sure it focuses smoothly as the one I have is a little stiff so is a bit awkward for video if you have one like that. For stills its fine. As with all old lenses you need to make sure they focus smoothly and zoom smoothly too. Helios lenses aren`t too great or at least the 135mm I have is not too good image quality wise. Some Helios lenses were made in Japan and not as good as the Russia versions as many copies were made quite a few of dubious quality and kept the Helios name as it wasn`t copyrighted so I believe.
You may pick up M42 lenses very cheaply so if they aren`t good you haven`t lost a lot and can always resell on Ebay.
Older lenses should be OK for video you just won`t get smooth zooming and auto focus which is a good thing anyway as MF is better for video anyway.
Happy videoing.
Andrew.

RobertD
22nd February 2013, 01:51 AM
I use the Minolta Rokkors with my GH2 and have the 28mm 2.8 and 50mm 1.4. They are very good. I also use an Olympus 9-18mm and the Panasonic 14-140mm
Cheers, Rob