PDA

View Full Version : Which editing Software should I use

the saxplayer
3rd August 2012, 10:46 AM
Hello all,

first of all. This is a great forum with lot's of knowledge. Thanks for sharing your insight.

I wonder what editing software I should choose. I currently use Premiere Pro within CS4 running on a Mac 8 Core with 12MB Ram.

I know how to get the AVCHD footage in there but editing is almost impossible. It seems either the Mac or Premiere cannot handle the HD AVCHD format in an acceptable way. The playback is stuttering....

I am not trying to do Hollywood kinda things but I need a smooth workflow.

Someone told me to transcode the avchd into the avid format DNxHD but I am not sure if premiere can handle this. I am open to change the software but not necessarely the Platform. I don't have a PC worth mentioning.

Thank you very much.

Georges

Ian
3rd August 2012, 02:04 PM
I think you need PPro CS5 at least, with support for Mercury Playback Engine. I read that CS5 is fundamentally around 30% faster than CS4, but if you have a compatible graphics card you can hardware accelerate PPro with spectacular results.

I have just bought a Dell Inspiron 15R N5110 laptop which has a quad core i7 Sandy Bridge 2670qm CPU and an nVidia GeForce GT 525M GPU. This uses Cuda core parallel processing (96 cores) to accelerate some aspects of video rendering in hardware.

My old laptop (AMD Turion 64 X2 CPU) using PPro CS6 took almost three and a half hours to render a two and a half minute 1080 30p video. CS6 on the new laptop reduced this to 18 minutes and 45 seconds (thanks to the i7 CPU and its extra multimeda instruction set features) but with Mercury Playback hardware acceleration enabled the rendering time dropped to 4 minutes and 34 seconds.

Whether your Mac can support hardware acceleration using Mercury Playback depends on the graphics hardware in your system. You will have to check on hardware compatibility on the Adobe website.

Unfortunately for you, Mercury Playback was introduced with CS5, so you won't benefit from it with CS4. CS6 has the widest GPU support.

Ian

RobertD
3rd August 2012, 09:36 PM
Hi Georges,
What version of the Mac Os are you using? I use FCP7 and OS 10.6.8 with my GH2 and have no problems. FCP transcodes the video into ProRes codec which plays and edits easier. The native AVCHD codec makes the computer work hard decoding it on playback. Apple don't sell FCP7 anymore so, you might want to buy FCPX. Otherwise upgrade your Premier to CS6.
Cheers, Rob

the saxplayer
7th August 2012, 12:28 PM
Thanks to all of you.

Yes it probably makes sense to upgrade to CS6.
FCPX is of course also an option and not a very expensive one.
I use Lion OS 10.7.x

I have to check what Graphics crad is in there but if necessary I can upgrade.

Kind Regards

Georges

Patrick
16th August 2012, 04:59 PM
Thanks to all of you.

Yes it probably makes sense to upgrade to CS6.
FCPX is of course also an option and not a very expensive one.
I use Lion OS 10.7.x

I have to check what Graphics crad is in there but if necessary I can upgrade.

Kind Regards

Georges

Come a little late to this thread.
You might be interested to know if you don't already, Adobe software can now be leased on a monthly payment. I am using Photoshop CS6 for 17 a month, when CS7 (a long time away I know) comes out it will be available automatically.
For 30 per month intro offer all Adobe software is available.

Patrick

the saxplayer
16th August 2012, 10:20 PM
Yes I have read it...
That might be an option. But... I also think that the latest version of Final Cut X for something like 240 is not bad either.

I will probably download a CS6 trial to see how it handles the AVCHD.

I still don't think it will be smooth without transcoding first....

Cheers

Georges

Stills
21st February 2013, 06:12 PM
Sony vegas 11 is very smooth. Never had any issues really (accept exporting AAF files...big issues!).