PDA

View Full Version : E-3 weatherproofing with 50-200+EC14

smelliot_hook
24th April 2012, 08:26 AM
Hi All,

Quick question: does the EC14 impact the weatherproof nature of the E-3 and 50-200 SWD combo?

Just hired the combo for an outing later in the week, I've done some searching online but just want to confirm.

Cheers,
Elliot

Bikie John
24th April 2012, 08:37 AM
Not as far as I know. I've used the combo for rugby for some time. We've been lucky and had any REALLY foul days in the last few seasons, but we've had rain and it's never been a problem. I always dry off the kit as best I can as soon as we get back indoors, then spread it out at home to dry properly overnight.

Good luck with your outing ... John

John Perriment
24th April 2012, 08:58 AM
Hi Elliot,

I'm not absolutely certian but I'm pretty sure the EC14 is sealed like the lenses. Hope you have a great outing and the weather is not too bad. :)

theMusicMan
24th April 2012, 09:28 AM
Yep, John is right, the EC-14 is officially weather sealed and has no detrimental effect on the E-3 when used with appropriate weather sealed lenses.

smelliot_hook
24th April 2012, 09:46 AM
Brilliant, thanks all.

Just took a quick look at the Olympus website, and it is listed as splashproof similarly to the 12-60 SWD and 50-200 SWD (though not dustproof, interestingly!).

Cheers!

theMusicMan
24th April 2012, 10:19 AM
No probs. If you are curious as to how the EC-14 performs with an E3, there are many shots in my gallery with the E3 and 70-300mm + EC14 combo.

http://www.reflectingme.com/skomer/h23218900#h505c4e5

Many of the Puffin shots are with that combination. I actually sold my Bigma because I was getting better performance with the 70-300 + EC-14 combo than with the Bigma.

smelliot_hook
24th April 2012, 10:31 AM
I'm very curious actually, and have always been led to believe that it would make the 70-300mm virtually unusable, in terms of slow focussing, or continually hunting to find focus, due to the low level of light - a product of using a teleconverter with an f/5.6 lens.

I've taken to hiring the 50-200SWD+EC14 if I want the same length as my 70-300mm but better performance, but am always thinking of how to get extra length, and have considered a Bigma.

Is the general consensus that the EC14+70-300mm is better than the Bigma?

Is it a case of learning the limitations of that combo, and expecting a level of performance on par with cost (i.e. don't expect it to perform anywhere near the 300mm f/2.8 with the EC14!)

Fantastic puffin shots by the way, a very good body of evidence for being able to get the 70-300+EC14 to perform well in the right conditions!

theMusicMan
24th April 2012, 10:36 AM
Thanks.

Well for me personally, I did take the time and effort to learn about how best to handle the combo, and it proved fantastically useful for me to do that as I managed to get some pretty acceptable results. It certainly is about learning the limitations of the combination, and of ones ability to use the equipment to its strengths.

It won't of course, perform anywhere near the 300mm f2.8 - but I found it to be superb for what I use it for.

smelliot_hook
24th April 2012, 10:37 AM
That's good to know, thanks for the info

Bikie John
24th April 2012, 10:55 AM
I'm very pleased with the 50-200SWD + EC-14 for rugby, as long as there is enough light to shoot at f/4.9 (which is wide open at the long end). I habitually use it wide open and - for this kind of application at least - can't fault the quality.

Ciao ... John

davidmorison
24th April 2012, 01:19 PM
I'm very curious actually, and have always been led to believe that it would make the 70-300mm virtually unusable, in terms of slow focussing, or continually hunting to find focus, due to the low level of light - a product of using a teleconverter with an f/5.6 lens.

I've taken to hiring the 50-200SWD+EC14 if I want the same length as my 70-300mm but better performance, but am always thinking of how to get extra length, and have considered a Bigma.

Is the general consensus that the EC14+70-300mm is better than the Bigma?

Is it a case of learning the limitations of that combo, and expecting a level of performance on par with cost (i.e. don't expect it to perform anywhere near the 300mm f/2.8 with the EC14!)

Having owned a Bigma, 50-200mm SWD, 70-300mm and a 300mm f2.8 I would say that the Bigma has better IQ and faster AF than the 70-300mm + EC14. The 50-200mm with EC14 is quite a bit better than the above combo and of course the 300mm f2.8 is the star. Even with the EC14 it outperforms all others in both IQ and AF speed - surprisingly it is faster than the SWD. But then you pay for it in pounds sterling and weight, although I did get mine (new) at just over half price.

Regards

David

Ned
27th April 2012, 04:56 AM
Hi All,

Quick question: does the EC14 impact the weatherproof nature of the E-3 and 50-200 SWD combo?

Just hired the combo for an outing later in the week, I've done some searching online but just want to confirm.

Cheers,
Elliot

The EC-14 actually makes a wonderful weather sealed base for swapping between other sealed lenses in nasty weather or high dust/sand areas. Because it keeps the body sealed, you can still change lenses in relative safety in these conditions by using the EC-14 as a base.