PDA

View Full Version : Tele zoom with stabilizer for E-450

ragio
4th February 2012, 01:21 PM
Hi,

is there any tele zoom with stabilizer that fits E-450?

Does Panasonic-Leica 4/3 lenses work with E-450?

Thanks.

Bitrix
4th February 2012, 01:56 PM
My wife has a E-410 with a Leica D Vario-Elmar 14-150mm f/3.5-5.6. For her, this combination works very well. I suppose that you could use a tele converter to get more range if needed. You can get the lens on eBay, but it will be more than 1000.

T-Lama
4th February 2012, 01:57 PM
Hi,
I think the only stabilized telezoom for 4/3 is discontinued PanaLeica 14-150, but it is EXPENSIVE (you can buy body with IBIS and good Oly telezoom of your choice at such price).

Ian
4th February 2012, 04:32 PM
It has to be said that the 14-150 Pan/Leica is a superb performer, though.

Ian

ragio
4th February 2012, 09:45 PM
Thanks everybody.
I want a D-SLR but it should be small and light.
I was offered a very good deal to buy a E-450.
It has the right size but I need a tele zoom and I'm quite concerned about going 150mm (300mm equivalent) without a stabilizer.
That's the reason why I asked the question.

Are you sure every mode works with Panasonic Leica 14-150?
I found there are some adapters, but the camera works only in manual mode.

throt
4th February 2012, 10:28 PM
as I understand you don't have a camera body yet. so there is possibility to get something out of the PEN series instead. it should be small and light and with IS... but then again i've only seen them on paper.
As for adapters the manual mode is not so difficult to use actually. But with them A mode (aperture priority) should work also - semiautomatic. Only thing that might trouble is manual focus.

ragio
4th February 2012, 11:34 PM
you're right: I haven't got the camera body yet.
PEN are cool but they're missing something I'm looking for.
The viewfinder!

Adapter with only manual mode means the loss of lot of camera helps.
For my poor photographic skills, it's even worst than a tele without stabilizer.

Ian
5th February 2012, 01:41 AM
What do you mean by manual mode? The Panasonic or Olympus Four Thirds to Micro Four Thirds adapters provides full auto exposure mode. The only restriction is continuous AF; but single shot AF and fly by wire manual focus are fully supported, although AF is not as snappy as a proper MTF lens. Oh, and the aperture ring (if I remember rightly) on the 14-150 Pan/Leica is not supported.

Ian

throt
5th February 2012, 07:09 AM
Ian seems like you got it a bit mixed now ;)

Bitrix
5th February 2012, 07:55 AM
As Ian and I stated earlier, the 14-150 Pan/Leica is a teriffic lens, the only catch is the price and availability. What I find most convenient is that it will cover most situations, from wide to tele. No need to change lenses all the time. The build quality is also excellent. Myself I have the Olympus 12-60 and the 70-300, nice lenses for an armature, but the shifting of lenses is irritating :\

joachim
5th February 2012, 08:31 AM
you're right: I haven't got the camera body yet.
PEN are cool but they're missing something I'm looking for.
The viewfinder!

Adapter with only manual mode means the loss of lot of camera helps.
For my poor photographic skills, it's even worst than a tele without stabilizer.

To all pens, with the exception of the E-P1, you can add an electronic finder. Ian has written a comparison of them.

Olympus is strongly rumoured to release the E-M5 for mFT this week, which has a build in finder.

I am quite happy with the results from my m.Zuiko 40-150 on my PEN. In contrast to the 40-150 on my E-300, that usually works handheld.

ragio
5th February 2012, 12:54 PM
First of all, thanks everybody for the load of information you're giving me.

Ian talked about Four Thirds to Micro Four Thirds adapters.
Is it right?
If I could fit a Micro Four Thirds lens to E-450, that could be the solution thanks to the wide choice of lenses with stabilizer.
So far, the only adapter I found connects Four Thirds to OM and according to the retailer "You still have to focus and set the aperture by hand .... You can set the camera to aperture priority mode to calculate the proper exposure time ...The appropriate aperture value has to be adjusted on the lens by hand".
I don't want to do that, I want a zoom with stabilizer that keeps all the auto features of E-450.
Could you give me more info about 4/3 to micro 4/3 adapters?

Joachim, I know electronic viewfinders are available for pens but I'm afraid it's not the kind of viewfinder I want.

fluffy
5th February 2012, 01:11 PM
What do you mean by manual mode? The Panasonic or Olympus Four Thirds to Micro Four Thirds adapters provides full auto exposure mode. The only restriction is continuous AF; but single shot AF and fly by wire manual focus are fully supported, although AF is not as snappy as a proper MTF lens. Oh, and the aperture ring (if I remember rightly) on the 14-150 Pan/Leica is not supported.

Ian

This means any 4/3 lens can be used on an mFT body. Using mFT lenses on 4/3 bodies is not possible. (Well I guess you could design a 4/3 lens that could be used on an MFT body but it would be very strange and no one will ever make one.)