PDA

View Full Version : PAL or NTSC

Minkara
20th December 2011, 08:14 AM
I'm about to buy a GH2 but want to shoot in PAL.
Does anyone know if the GH2 can shoot both PAL and NTSC, or whether you need to buy a PAL or NTSC version. I know you can choose the video output, but there is no mention of the shooting format on any website.
Maybe it is a firmware update?
How can you tell whether it will shoot PAL or not.

If I buy from Hong Kong it is difficult to know what you will get.

Sir Otto
20th December 2011, 02:13 PM
I'm no expert on these things but I'm thinking the PAL/NTSC option would affect only the video output when displaying on a standard television, and has no effect on the recording format which will presumably be MP4 or similar.

PAL and NTSC are television standards and as such define the characteristics of the analogue composite video signal. They were defined long before anyone dreamed of digital video recording. So you won't be shooting in either PAL or NTSC, the camera will only generate a video signal in one of those formats when you play back on a TV.

Ned
20th December 2011, 05:14 PM
If you really wanted to restrict yourself to Standard Definition, then I believe you probably would need a PAL version of the camera. However, is there a reason you can't just shoot in HD or Full HD?

RobertD
20th December 2011, 07:14 PM
There is a big difference in PAL/NTSC when it comes to shooting, editing etc. Frame rates are a pain to convert from NTSC to PAL or vice a versa. PAL is also different not just in SD (frame rate, pixel aspect), but also in HD because of the frame rates per second.
So if you need PAL get the PAL GH2. I bought my PAL version from Hong Kong from DigitalRev (just specify the PAL version).
Another option is to hack your GH2, then it becomes switchable between PAL and NTSC.
Cheers, Rob

Minkara
20th December 2011, 08:27 PM
Thanks, exactly what I wanted to know.
It is frustrating that Panasonic don't make it more clear.
The Lumix TZ20 (small point and shoot) has a different model number for the PAL and NTSC. I've tried both and it is not possible to convert from PAL to NTSC.
The video quality is stunning.

JDW
8th January 2012, 12:18 AM
I just received my gh2 from the US and didn't realise it was NTSC only. I intend to shot in Cinema mode (24p) and convert to PAL as needed but if there's a hack available to allow PAL (I'm in Melbourne) I'd do it. How do I find them?

RobertD
8th January 2012, 12:34 AM
Just google GH2 hack and you will find instructions and software to download.
Cheers, Rob

JDW
8th January 2012, 12:44 AM
Thanks Rob, I had a budgie the same color (as your pic)

mhobart
8th January 2012, 05:31 AM
I'm about to buy a GH2 but want to shoot in PAL.
Does anyone know if the GH2 can shoot both PAL and NTSC, or whether you need to buy a PAL or NTSC version. I know you can choose the video output, but there is no mention of the shooting format on any website.
Maybe it is a firmware update?
How can you tell whether it will shoot PAL or not.

If I buy from Hong Kong it is difficult to know what you will get.

I am pretty sure that the unofficial firmware hack allows you to change the output format (along with a multitude of other settings). Do a google search for "Panasonic Lumix firmware" or similar terms.

I would expect that you would be able to specify which video format you needed when you were ordering from the dealer, wouldn't you?

JDW
8th January 2012, 05:58 AM
Thanks for the suggestion - I'll ask those I ordered the camera from.

mhobart
8th January 2012, 07:07 AM
Thanks for the suggestion - I'll ask those I ordered the camera from.

I did a bit of digging (as it had been a while since I had been looking at the GH2 patches - can't afford yet ANOTHER camera right now <g>). The patches do allow switching between PAL and NTSC. You can only record in one mode on a given memory card, but that seems to be the only restriction.

As always, such hacks are NOT official Panasonic firmware, so read up before using anything and your results may vary. Since I don't have a GH2 I don't have any personal experience with them. "GH2 Patch Vault" looks to be a good Google search phrase.

RobertD
8th January 2012, 07:18 AM
Hi buying from USA will only get an NTSC version, and likewise from Europe, Australia a PAL version. While buying from Hong Kong as I stated in an earlier post you can specify what version you require.
Here's is a link with info about the Hack; http://www.eoshd.com/content/3463/gh2-hack-footage-42mbit-avchd-108024p

Cheers, Rob

mhobart
8th January 2012, 07:34 AM
Hi buying from USA will only get an NTSC version, and likewise from Europe, Australia a PAL version. While buying from Hong Kong as I stated in an earlier post you can specify what version you require.
Here's is a link with info about the Hack; http://www.eoshd.com/content/3463/gh2-hack-footage-42mbit-avchd-108024p

Cheers, Rob

Understood about the versions/purchasing options :-) It appears that the best places for the hacks are the eoshd.com site as you note and Vitaly's own site at www.personal-view.com Both solicit hacks from the various programmers who are now working on them.

Mike