by Ian Burley
Panasonic Launches Stylish LUMIX GF6 for Capturing Day-to-Day Photographs in High Quality
DIS, Vienna 9th April 2013 – Panasonic's new Digital Single Lens Mirrorless LUMIX DMC-GF6 is the latest camera to join the compact series of Panasonic's LUMIX G category.
The camera boasts a new Live MOS Sensor, newly developed Venus Engine and high precision, 'Light Speed AF' which all contribute to excellent image quality for photographers used to taking creative images with their smartphones but who are looking for a much more sophisticated and professional result by being able to have more control over manual settings such as aperture, shutter speed or lens selection.
With 19 filter effects the DMC-GF6 is not just an interchangeable camera but a creative tool for any user looking to explore and change their photography habits from an amateur point-and-shoot photographer to a step-up user looking to take their photography more seriously. Wi-Fi connectivity and NFC (Near Field Communication) make it easier than ever to remotely shoot from a tablet or smartphone, transfer images and share their pictures with friends, family and the online world.
Furthermore the DMC-GF6 has a dedicated video record button on the top so you can record full-HD video (1920x1080, 50i) in AVCHD with stereo sound. Contrary to its stylish appearance the camera is robust with a built-in flash (GN6.3 ISO160?m / GN5.0 ISO100?m), has a 3.0 inch, approx. 180 degree tiltable monitor and comes with a fashionable black or white body.
True Picture Quality with New 16.00 Megapixel Live MOS Sensor and Venus Engine
The new Live MOS Sensor enables high resolution and high sensitivity image recording while minimizing the generation of noise. The Venus Engine image processor is also newly developed to feature its advanced noise reduction systems. The controllable area of noise has been expanded by approx.64x in size. This makes it possible to remove large block of noise which were formally hard to detect and helps produce clear, smooth image especially for night time scenery. The combination of the new Live MOS Sensor and the Venus Engine achieve ISO3200 (Auto) and max. ISO 25600 (Extended).
An Advanced Photographic Tool for Creative Users
With its wide variety of shooting options such as 'Self Shot' mode; 'Creative Control' providing 19 filters; and Stop Motion Animation function the DMC-GF6 is not just a high quality camera.
Users can shoot their own portraits by stretching an arm to hold the camera with the monitor flipped approx.180 degrees vertically allowing them to fit perfectly into the frame.
The popular 'Creative Control' mode has been upgraded by increasing the number of filters from the 14 of the DMC-GF5 to 19 for the DMC-GF6, adding new Old Days, Sunshine*, Bleach Bypass, Toy Pop, Fantasy in addition to the conventional Expressive, Retro, High Key, Sepia, High Dynamic, Soft Focus*, Dynamic Monochrome, Impressive Art, One Point Color, Cross Process, Low Key, Toy Effect and Star Filter* and Miniature Effect** mode1. A number of these filters can also be applied on the self-portrait taken in 'Self Shot' mode.
Cablefree Connectivity with Wi-Fi and NFC
For the first time integrated Wi-Fi and NFC connectivity offer a more flexible shooting experience and easy image sharing from an interchangeable lens camera. After the initial setup, tablets and smartphones for remote shooting can be connected with a simple touch without having to re-enter authorisation details every time.
Evolving LUMIX G AF System Speed and Accuracy
All cameras in the LUMIX G category feature Contrast AF for their focus system. Compared with the Phase difference AF system, the Contrast AF boasts higher accuracy especially in shooting with a bright lens and small 'F' (focal ratio) value.
Light Speed AF makes it possible to capture fast-moving subjects clearly. Additionally, AF Tracking enables consecutive shooting to capture moving subject in sharp focus.
More Details About Key Features
- Creative Panorama function: Shoot a horizontal or vertical panoramic image with consequent shots taken by overlaying the previous picture. One of the 'Creative Control' effects can also be added.***2.
- Stop Motion Animation function: Enables producing a stop motion (stop frame) video in camera with the pictures that are sequentially shot while moving the object by degrees. This effect makes the object appear as if it is moving by itself.
- Clear Retouch: Makes it is possible to erase unwanted objects or figures in an image by just tracing over them on the camera monitor with a fingertip. They naturally disappear without destroying the image.
- Remote Shooting: Remote shooting of both photo and video* is available by using the smartphone/tablet for a remote shutter with a monitor which displayed live at smooth 30 fps. Not only releasing the shutter but zooming3, focusing and settings of shutter speed, aperture and exposure compensation can all be controlled with the smartphone or tablet and start/stop recording when used in video mode.
- Instant Transfer function: Allows the camera to transfer the photo data to the designated electronic device automatically whenever the shutter is released. In playback mode, users can also touch the image displayed on the camera to transfer it directly to a smartphone or tablet right on the spot. In addition, it is possible to tag the location information to the image by utilizing the GPS (Global Positioning System) log of a smartphone or tablet. All these flexible shooting/browsing/sharing styles are made possible with the DMC-GF6 and Panasonic's dedicated application software "Panasonic Image App" for iOS / Android smartphones and tablets.
- Cloud Service: Panasonic's exclusive cloud service "LUMIX CLUB" allows users to store images in a dedicated folder which they can transfer the image to Facebook, Flickr, Picasa, Twitter, YouTube or any other social networking platform.
- The Wi-Fi Direct function: Allows direct playback of images on any DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) compliant VIERA HDTV4.
- Full-area Touch AF: Enables focus to be set on any point in the field of view which realizes quick and intuitive focusing operation allowing free frame composition. In addition, the newly adopted Touch AE (Auto Exposure) function enables setting focus and exposure at a single touch on the subject displayed on the monitor.
- Function Lever For One-hand Control: The newly added function lever allows direct adjustment of the allocated function such as zoom5, exposure or aperture6 control. This lever works for magnification in playback mode and page flip in menu.
Advanced iA+ (Intelligent Auto Plus Mode) and Scene Guide for Beginners:
- For beginners of digital interchangeable lens system cameras, iA (Intelligent Auto) mode supports taking beautiful pictures with a variety of shooting-assist functions including AF Tracking, Intelligent D-range Control, Intelligent Scene Selector, Face Recognition and Intelligent ISO Control.
- The Intelligent Scene Control now integrates Food Recognition mode.
- The iA Plus mode lets users adjust defocusing area in the background, exposure compensation and white balance for more flexible control.
- The Scene Guide offers 23 sample pictures shot by professional photographers. Users can choose the one closer to the situation they are going to shoot and optimum parameters for shooting the scene will be automatically set. Furthermore, shooting procedure, technical advice and recommended interchangeable lens for the scene can be shown for users to improve their photography skills.
1040K resolution approx. 180 degree Tiltable Touch Monitor: The new large, 1040K-dot high resolution monitor boasts around 100 per cent of field of view, and tilts up to approx. 180°. The front panel is directly attached to the new In Cell Touch monitor without containing an air layer in between. The result is that the reflection of external light is dramatically suppressed. Together with the increased resolution by around 13 per cent and improved colour reproduction by around 20 per cent, the monitor for DMC-GF6 secures higher visibility than ever. Plus, attenuation of transmitting backlight is minimized to achieve a wide angle view and 25 per cent power saving.
1 *For photo only
**Sound will not be recorded with [MINIATURE EFFECT] in Creative Control Mode and approximately 1/10 of the time period is recorded. (If you record for 10 minutes, the resulting motion picture recording will be approximately 1 minute long)
2 ***Some filters of Creative Control cannot be used in Creative Panorama mode.
3 With LUMIX G Power Zoom Lens H-PS14042 or H-PS45175
4 Using [Playback on TV] of the Wi-Fi function, you can display images on a TV that supports the Digital Media Renderer (DMR) function of the DLNA standard. Please check the following website about the compatible devices for details. http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/
5 When used with Power Zoom lenses H-PS14042 or H-PS45175.
6 In M (Manual) mode
Panasonic Corporation is a worldwide leader in the development and manufacture of electronic products in three business fields, consumer, components & devices, and solutions. Based in Osaka, Japan, the company recorded consolidated net sales of about 72 billion Euros for the year ended March 31, 2012. Panasonic's stock is listed on the Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya and New York (NYSE:PC) Stock Exchanges. The company has the vision of becoming the No. 1 Green Innovation Company in the Electronics Industry by the 100th year of its founding in 2018. For more information on Panasonic, its brand and commitment to sustainability, visit the company's website at http://panasonic.net/.