Taking artistic creativity to new levels
The Olympus E-30: your own portable creative studio
London, 5 November 2008 – A creative photographer’s most important tool is the power of expression – and the Olympus E-30 delivers it in spades. For the ultimate in artistic expression, the E-30 offers six Art Filters*, each of which uses different settings to create incredible photographic effects that would otherwise require additional lenses, filters or complex editing. A Multiple Exposure* mode further bolsters the potential for distinctive artistry in compositions, as do the choice of nine separate aspect ratios*. With the newly-developed high-speed 12.3 Megapixel Live MOS sensor* and TruePic III+ image processor*, top quality image results are ensured. Ensuring an enjoyable photo experience, the monitor facilitates Live View framing ease from virtually any angle. Furthermore, thanks to built-in image stabilisation*, shots stay impressively sharp irrespective of the attached lens. And because sometimes the perfect shot can present itself in the blink of an eye, the E-30 boasts a range of high-speed performance features to make sure that you’ll always be ready for it: lightning-fast autofocus speeds, 5fps sequential shooting and shutter speeds of up to 1/8000th sec. The E-30 will be available from mid-January 2009 and retail for £xxx.
Six innovative Art Filters enables special artistic effects to be created directly in the camera and put you in control of your composition: styles like Pop Art*, Soft Focus*, Pale & Light Colour*, Light Tone*, Grainy Film* and Pin Hole* let you capture your world the way you want to portray it. These effects would normally require special lenses, filters, or image processing programs, but with the E-30, it all happens inside the camera. You can even preview the effect of a particular filter on the 2.7”/6.9cm
HyperCrystal* II LCD before shooting. What’s more, in Multiple Exposure* mode, several images can be superimposed on a previously-captured image to take photographic creativity to a whole new level. The E-30 also offers nine different aspect ratios* for nine different takes on any scene. In addition, Live View* with improved high-speed contrast autofocus** depictions allows for easy framing of shots on the free-angle LCD.
A range of great technologies helps ensure that the E-30 provides picture-perfect images every time. The newly developed 12.3 Megapixel Live MOS sensor provides amazing image quality at low power requirements. Combine this with the new TruePic III+ ultra high-speed image processor, and results must be seen to be believed. Built-in mechanical image stabilisation rounds up the package, significantly reducing image blur caused by such factors as low light or camera shake. And to ensure that the E-30’s powerful sensor remains dust-free, the patented Olympus Supersonic Wave Filter* is integrated.
A need for speed
Ever waited and waited for that perfect shot, and then missed it because your camera couldn’t keep up with the action? You don’t have to worry anymore because the E-30 is always prepared. High-speed shooting of up to 5fps in full 12.3 Megapixel mode and shutter speeds of up to 1/8000th sec. will help you capture even the fastest action shots. In addition, the E-30 incorporates a fully-biaxial 11-point AF system for incredible autofocusing speeds in any lighting conditions.
Additional features and accessories
For photographers looking for integrated features to improve their shooting experience, the E-30 has a lot to offer. Shadow Adjustment Technology* helps lighten shadows in shots, while Face Detection Technology* recognises and focuses on the faces of subjects in a composition. An integrated Level Gauge* also appears on the LCD, in the viewfinder, and on the Control Panel on the back of the camera. This functions like a level used in construction to ensure that your pictures will never be askew. And when it comes to accessories, the E-30 also covers the whole range. As part of the Olympus E-System and based on the Four Thirds Standard, many lenses and other accessories are available to ensure the E-30 takes creativity to a higher level. From fish-eye, macro and ultra-wide-angle lenses through to ultra-zoom models, the ZUIKO DIGITAL range of lenses leaves nothing to be desired. New in the line-up is the ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II lens, which also enables full contrast AF performance with the E-30.
The Olympus E-30 gives photographers a portable creative studio and provides everything required to live out and express creativity while enjoying pro-level image results, control and performance. It will go on sale from mid-January 2009.
* Please see Appendix at the end of the document
** Full contrast AF performance is available with new Olympus lenses including the
ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6, the ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6, the ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6, the ZUIKO DIGITAL 25mm 1:2.8 “pancake” lens and the new ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II.
The Olympus E-30 digital SLR – main features:
- Art Filters, Multiple Exposure, Wireless Flash*, Multi-Aspect
- Comfortable Live View thanks to high-speed contrast AF
- Free-angle 2.7”/6.9cm HyperCrystal II LCD
- Newly developed 12.3 Megapixel Live MOS Sensor
- TruePic III+ processor for ideal colour reproduction and low noise
- Built-in IS with max. 5 EV steps efficiency
- High-speed 11-point fully-biaxial AF performance
- Max. 5fps
- 1/8000th sec. high speed shutter & 1/250th sec. flash synchronisation
Additional features of the Olympus E-30:
- Multiple-exposure function with LCD monitor display of current view superimposed on top of previously captured image
- Auto gradation adjustment to prevent blown highlights and blocked-in shadows
- Face & Background Control for beautifully balanced exposures of foreground subjects and background scenery
- Perfect Shot Preview to enable comparison of the results of various settings adjustments before actual shooting
- Reliable Supersonic Wave Filter dust reduction system
- Built-in flash with commander function for wireless off-camera flash synchronisation
- Large optical viewfinder with approx 98% field of view and approx 1.02x magnification
- Shooting information displayed via top-mounted LCD panel and Super Control Panel LCD monitor display for superior visibility and operating ease
- High-precision, 49-zone metering system
- Easy activation of shooting functions via sample image selection
- Versatile bracketing functions for ISO, white balance, exposure, and flash
- Lightbox view with enlargement function for easy side-by-side comparison of images
- Based on the Four Thirds Standard
- Ergonomic design of body, control buttons and GUI for easy operation
- AE/AF lock functionality for individual customisation
- Second display for Super Control Panel
- ISO 100-3200 for wide-ranging sensitivity
- Built-in flash (GN13) and wireless flash control directly from the camera body
- Wireless flash control in up to 3 groups (separate press release available for Olympus FL-50R and FL-36R flash units)
- Hi-Speed USB 2.0 interface
- High-speed data writing and lossless RAW compression for quick processing
- Simultaneous writing of RAW and JPEG
- 27 shooting modes (5 Exposure Modes, 5 Creative Modes, 11 Scene Select Modes, 6 Art Filters)
- Wide dynamic range in highly lit areas
- Dual memory slot for CompactFlash and xD-Picture Cards (incl. support for UDMA High-Speed CF cards and Microdrive)
The Olympus E-30 is available in the following configurations:
- Olympus E-30 body only
- E-30 body with ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 lens
- E-30 body with ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II lens
- E-30 body with ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 lens